CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Inexpensive red dot finder sight solution

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Thanatos78621

Thanatos78621

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

After looking for a new finder scope for my NS11 GPS (the one that came with it was missing the eyepiece) I opted to go for a red dot open sight.

I checked out the different websites to see what was offered and found a nice red/green model with selectable reticles. The only problem was they started at about $60 and being a bargin hunter, I wanted to see if I could find something cheaper.

Thankfully Amazon came to the rescue with the same model sight (minus the mounting riser) for much less, $34 actually. Combine the sight with a weaver mounting rail (2 for $9.50) and I've got a fairly nice open dot finder sight for $45.

The links for the two are below if anyone is interested in checking them out. Also here's a photo of the sight on the weaver rail attached to the scope.

http://www.amazon.co...duct/B009X0HU0G

http://www.amazon.co...duct/B002GNYCNA

Attached Files

#2 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Good Job. I have one like it with a red light on my binocular telescope. It works very well. I really like the low profile rails you found too. Thanks for posting.

#3 Sorny

Sorny

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern MN

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

The Celestron red-dot (that comes stock on NexStar SE scopes) is $28 after shipping if your order is <$100, and comes with the mounting hardware. I liked the one on my NexStar 5 so much I ordered one for my CPC1100 so I wouldn't have to mount the 9x50.

It is a bit smaller and doesn't have multiple reticles, but to line up 2 bright stars, why spend big bucks?

Your find is about 1/2 price of the typical astronimical multi-reticle finders. Not too shabby!

#4 Thanatos78621

Thanatos78621

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

I liked the red dot finder on the 8SE that I had, but wanted something a bit 'bigger' on the visual opening.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics