• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Thanatos78621

Thanatos78621

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

After looking for a new finder scope for my NS11 GPS (the one that came with it was missing the eyepiece) I opted to go for a red dot open sight.

I checked out the different websites to see what was offered and found a nice red/green model with selectable reticles. The only problem was they started at about $60 and being a bargin hunter, I wanted to see if I could find something cheaper.

Thankfully Amazon came to the rescue with the same model sight (minus the mounting riser) for much less, $34 actually. Combine the sight with a weaver mounting rail (2 for $9.50) and I've got a fairly nice open dot finder sight for $45.

The links for the two are below if anyone is interested in checking them out. Also here's a photo of the sight on the weaver rail attached to the scope.

http://www.amazon.co...duct/B009X0HU0G

http://www.amazon.co...duct/B002GNYCNA

Attached Files

#2 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Good Job. I have one like it with a red light on my binocular telescope. It works very well. I really like the low profile rails you found too. Thanks for posting.

#3 Sorny

Sorny

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern MN

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

The Celestron red-dot (that comes stock on NexStar SE scopes) is $28 after shipping if your order is <$100, and comes with the mounting hardware. I liked the one on my NexStar 5 so much I ordered one for my CPC1100 so I wouldn't have to mount the 9x50.

It is a bit smaller and doesn't have multiple reticles, but to line up 2 bright stars, why spend big bucks?

Your find is about 1/2 price of the typical astronimical multi-reticle finders. Not too shabby!

#4 Thanatos78621

Thanatos78621

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

I liked the red dot finder on the 8SE that I had, but wanted something a bit 'bigger' on the visual opening.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics