Photo

simple webcam setup ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 orionn1

orionn1

Vostok 1

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

Hello, not looking for anything serious which is probably might firs problem, Once I get hook will probably keep upgrading and upgrading lol.
However what is a simple webcam setup?
thanks

#2 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

Very high percentage of webcams (which by definition, is using USB or Firewire interface to communicate with a PC) have the following weaknesses:
1. cannot do long exposure (e.g., max. sub-one second) without mod such as SC1
2. do not have high enough gain
3. nowadays, more and more webcams are using tiny CMOS sensor with super-fine pixel pitch

With all of these, they are more suited for solar system imaging.

BTW, this thread is better fit in beginning imaging subforum. You'll get more feedback there.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#3 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

I've used several simple webcam setups over the years and they can be a lot of inexpensive fun. They work great on bright targets like the moon and planets and depending on the specific camera they can do reasonably well on stellar objects. I've used mine for double stars and watching lunar occultations, which is kinda neat. This is a great way to learn basic skills like locating objects using a small camera, focusing, and getting your basic gear setup. In my case I learned how to control everything from inside my house which is sooooo nice.

This is one of my old webcams; a Phillips SPC900NC repackaged in a Radioshack kit box. I still use this camera as an e-Finder to help me point my high resolution imaging scope.

Have fun!

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics