Telescope: Meade Lightbridge 16, 2” 2x Barlow (f/9)
Camera: Canon Rebel T2i, remote switch cable
Adapters: EOS to T-thread, T-thread to 1.25” nose piece
Exposure: 4x1/250sec, ISO 1600 saved as RAW
Mirror lock-up: On, 5 second pause to allow vibrations to settle
Software: Digital Photo Professional, Photoshop Elements 6
The seeing wasn’t supposed to be very good this evening, but Jupiter looked pretty good so I decided to try grabbing a set of images with my T2i. I set the focus using a Bahtinov mask while looking through the viewfinder at Aldeberan and then swung over to Jupiter. I placed the planet so that it was just off center and timed it so that it would be near the center when I took a single image. This proved to be pretty easy and I took a total of 15 still frames, but for this image I only used the first 4. I used Digital Photo Professional to convert the RAW images to TIFFs that Photoshop Elements 6 could read. I loaded the four source images into PSE, converted them to 8 bit, copied them onto 3 layers over the first image and aligned them manually. I then set the blending mode to normal, the opacity of the three layers to 50%, 33%, and 25%, and flattened the image. This was rotated, cropped, and mildly sharpened. For a simple test I was really pleased at how well this turned out. Note Ganymede to the left and Io to the right.