Photo

House or garage as a warm room - how far away?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DaveB

DaveB

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: New England

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

Realistically, how far away from a house or detached garage can you put an observatory and use it as a warm room? I'm thinking that (for my setup, at least) the USB cables will be the limiting factor. I know that you can get USB repeaters that can extend the length, but I'm curious as to what people's experience here has been, whether first/second/thirdhand.

#2 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

I'm about 75' from my ROR right now :D I ran ethernet out to it, keep a laptop in there to run all the programs, and I watch whats going on via TightVNC.

I tried active repeaters... usb over ethernet... feel free to search the forums for info on them. The active repeater cables work up to about 65'. USB over ethernet didn't work for me at least; some people report success using ICRON Rangers.

Otherwise, I find it's just easier to have a dedicated machine!

#3 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

I second that. Laptop in the observatory, monitored by Tight VNC or some other program from my house (150 feet away) via Cat 6 cable. I've tried the other solutions and they all came up with some gremlin or another I did not want to deal with.

If it is truly for astroimaging, and not visual, you will eventually get it set up right so that it basically runs itself. You no longer neeed to be anywhere close. Go out, roll the roof off, flip the switches, and spend your time monitoring in the house, and sleeping, and then going out in the morning to turn things off and shut her up.

Alex

#4 Joe C

Joe C

Messenger

• Moderators

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

Should your observatory be over 330' from your house there is a solution for that too. With a Icron 442 Fiber Optic USB Extender, you could extend 4 USB connections up to 6.2 miles via fiber optics.

If less than 330', Cat-5 devices will work. One thing to keep in mind, if any of the USB devices are powered from the USB, you will need a powered solution like a Icron Ranger 2104 Four Port USB 2.0 over Cat-5.

These are what SBIG recommends for long range connections for their cameras.

I use the USB over Cat-5 without issue with over 80' of Cat-6. If you do use this type of option, even though Cat-5 will work, I would recommend Cat-6. It is designed for higher speeds and wrapped better.

Joe

#5 Lorence

Lorence

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

USB will be the limiting factor

USB Universal Serial Bus or Unusually Small Budget? Are you planning a remote controlled system or do you just want to keep an eye on things while you are warming up?

#6 DaveB

DaveB

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: New England

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

USB will be the limiting factor

USB Universal Serial Bus or Unusually Small Budget? Are you planning a remote controlled system or do you just want to keep an eye on things while you are warming up?

The latter, just monitoring it from the house. I'm not looking for a remote control unit. I don't have an unusually small budget, but it isn't big enough for a remote monitoring setup :lol:

Thanks everyone for your responses.

#7 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

I was surprised to find that my wireless is readable from my observatory. It is about 100 feet from the house and further to the router.

#8 rimcrazy

rimcrazy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Overgaard, AZ

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

I was surprised to find that my wireless is readable from my observatory. It is about 100 feet from the house and further to the router.

Depends on whether you are running 802.11n or 802.11g.

802.11n - Indoor range is 230ft, Outdoor range is 820ft
802.11g - Indoor range is 125ft, Outdoor range is 460ft

Your running some combination of Indoor -> Outdoor -> Indoor but depending on the router, placement of the router, the antenna's used and other environmental issues, I could see that 100ft is very possible. Running 11g at my place up north I get out of my home, across the drive and to my garage and it just works. Not a lot of bars but it works and that is over 100'. I've since installed 11n and not tried it but I would suspect that it is now better.

#9 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Madratter,

You'll be disappointed with your wireless at range. When you start using VNC it's fairly sensitive in regards to bandwidth.

Get yourself 150' of Cat5 and run it under the door.

#10 rimcrazy

rimcrazy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Overgaard, AZ

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

Madratter,

You'll be disappointed with your wireless at range. When you start using VNC it's fairly sensitive in regards to bandwidth.

Get yourself 150' of Cat5 and run it under the door.

Yep or if you have to dig a trench then I would do a cost tradeoff with a Yagi antenna solution. These can work quite well without loss of bandwidth, especially if you are running 11n to begin with.

#11 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Rimcrazy has a good point. I have one of those 'high power' external wifi adapters with a high gain antenna that helps significantly. But honestly, just running 150' of CAT5 is really cheap... I think I paid 15 bucks for it on Amazon and it's significantly faster than WIFI.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics