Photo

What would cause image on monitor not to change?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

I have a Mallincam. Last night, while observing, I went from the cigar galaxy to M42. It was brilliant, as usual. I then decided to slew back to Polaris which is always my first alignment star. I closed down my Miloslick camera contro software as soon as I started to slew to Polaris. For some reason, M42 stayed on the monitor. I turned off the monitor and then turned it back on but M42 was still there even though Polaris was in my finder scope. It was only after pulling the plug on the camera and then plugging it back in did Polars appear. What could have caused the image of M42 to stay on the monitor? Thanks, Jim

#2 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

Was this after an interval clearly longer than the integration time?

#3 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

I don't quite understand your question!
Jim

#4 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

If you had the integration time set to, say, 1 minute, had just obtained an image of target A and then immediately pointed to target B, target B will not appear on screen until a full minute had elapsed since the previous image update (for target A.)

I wanted to be sure that you had taken this into account. Which might be overlooked when ever longer integrations are employed.

But I'm now leaning toward the problem lying with the Miloslick control program, as I suspect your integration time would have been rather shorter than the time it took to execute the actions you described.

#5 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

I know what you are talking about and that was not the problem. In addition to the image not changing, I have lost my countdown timer. Rock is aware of it. Thanks.
Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics