Photo

Saturn, good seeing again - NP vortex anyone..!?!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:46 AM

Hi all - things are going at the proverbial "million miles an hour" atm for us.....especially after giving commitments to send Saturn images to various professional organisations following the NP hex images last week.....I only originally emailed John Rogers but word got around - it was very flattering but now I'm caught up in Saturn imaging like never before.....and in truth I have a very lazy side to me! :whistle:

But enough of my "blowhardin'" :lol: - I've gotta mow the back lawn so we can image in the morning at home.....after we set up and PA for "home, sweet home" that is! :)

On 5th Feb (local date) we shot some more images of Saturn (more than one set this time!) using the 140 seconds per channel for the first 3 sets and then switching to 105" for 3 sets of iR-R-G-B's.

Nice storm activity (white spots) as well as other detail.....here's an RGB with 4 moons showing again (like last week) as well as an iR-RGB using the iR742nM filter as per the above.....then a small animation (just under 120% of capture to maintain 200kB filesize limitations) and lastly perhaps my now "trademark" side-serving with Saturn at the tilt it is this apparition.....the North Polar maps!

Hex is clearly visible again but without making any specific declaration, is that dark spot clearly seen in the centre of the NPP Hex in all 3 images (like a "bullseye") just an artefact.....after the initial debate over my last thread I have nothing to add to this whimsical commentary - but "I'ma waiting for a really good night" :lol: and hopefully it'll be soon..!:question: :fingerscrossed: :bow:

Attached Files

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

.....the iR-RGB image as per the above info - these captures were 105" @ 50fps and garnered just over 5200 frames per channel and were all finished within 420" (7 minutes) using the 3.75uM pixelled ASI120MM. :)

Attached Files

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:54 AM

Next, a small animation at 118% of capture scale to fit within the CN guidelines.....this is a 0.5 second per frame animation and shows the NP storms (white spots) as well as other detail quite well, especially being an animation.

4 images were used and Mimas didn't show on a couple - probably the seeing and I don't amplify noise to "fake" moons or recomposite them from other images.....Dione was marginally "cut-off" on the bottom edge of a couple of images used in the frames so it went too.....but still nice to see Tethys & Enceladus shuttling back & forth by themselves anyway! :)

Attached Files

#4 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:03 AM

Lastly, the North Polar Hexagonal Zone/storm...ho-hum! :lol:

What is that dark central bullseye to this feature though - seen in all 3 images to varying degrees of clarity but still quite patently obvious imho :confused:.....the dark "rind/edge" to the periphery of the hexagonal outline of the NPZ was in my last thread's images also.....but is this other feature an artefact - or something more: perhaps a part of the "shaded arc" across that zone that these WinJupos maps seem to generate - but it appears too well-defined to me for that explanation..?!? :question: :)

Attached Files

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

ps: I reiterate that I have no clear opinion on the aforesaid "feature" - I am a skeptic in most things and my first thought was that it was caused by the "shaded arc" "meeting" at the "apex" of the pole - which I suspect is the "edge artefact" one often sees on Saturnian images (especially after processing, a bit like the Mars' bright-side "rind.")

With the way that WinJupos transposes the information onto a "hemispherical" Polar projection I suspect this edge artefact transforms into my "shaded arc" - but the central "dot" is so clear to me that I must wonder whether it is this "concentrated" at said location/point (or indeed, any other type of artefact)...or a feature possibly?.....which if so, would logically be the dark "footprint" of the actual North Polar vortex, as opposed to the NPZ's much larger hexagonal shape clearly seen in this and my previous images... :question:

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

pps: I post the 1991 Pic du Midi ccd images Prof. Agustin Sanchez-Lavega sent me the other day in a paper in "Science" way back then.....cameras have come a long way, but I post to demonstrate that these very "hazy" images (to us!!!) allowed them to conclude the info in the text alongside said images..... :shocked:

Interesting to compare to mine above.....

Attached Files

#7 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

Wonderful images! I don't know if it THE vortex (the "eye" at the very pole)- it seems to me from Cassini images that it is much narrower than what is seen in your image. However, I think it probably is real detail - the aforementioned Cassini images show fainter detail inside the hexagon. I suppose those are in some way caused by the vortex.

In any case, they're incredible.

#8 Rankinstudio

Rankinstudio

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern UT

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

Darryl, looking at the attached image, I would say the feature you captured is pretty close in size to the vortex. I think it is very possible that you caught it. It looks to have a larger structure than just the deep vortex at the core, much like a hurricane, that is somewhat like the Eye. There is a larger round circulation around it that you probably caught. The IR image is compelling as the spot is quite a bit smaller. While I agree that artifacts are common, I don't think it is common to have an artifact that resembles a real, known, feature on the planet. If it resembles a feature proven to exist, I would lean more towards having actually caught a glimpse of that feature.

Either way, another set of fantastic images!

Attached Files

#9 Olorin

Olorin

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

stunning, wow, amazing detail in the NP, Darryl I love the animation wish you did more of these

Thanks for the welcome msg as well :-)
Dror

#10 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

Darryl,

You did it again! So beautiful!

Paul

#11 billgg

billgg

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brazil - Sao Paulo

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

Absolutely amazing, congratulations and thanks for chasing it out, anxious for the next one!

#12 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Great presentation, Darryl.

Hardly blow hardin'...mostly musings :applause:

#13 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Darryl I appreciate your skepticism as to whether the dark central region within the hexagon corresponds to the North Polar vortex however I tend to agree with David's (Rankinstudio) analysis; the size and shape of your "bullseye" is on par with a known feature in the same location. I believe that the weight of all that evidence would be difficult for a skeptic to bear.

Pete

#14 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Mo, awesome image set! You may have to update your user name to "vortex-man" with this high quality data. Very impressive capture, top shelf all the way. Congradulations and thanks for posting

Regards,
Steve

#15 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Great image!

#16 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

David: It looks to have a larger structure than just the deep vortex at the core, much like a hurricane, that is somewhat like the Eye. There is a larger round circulation around it that you probably caught.

That is what I was trying to say but said badly. I think you got the larger structure but not the central Eye. I think that Eye will be doable as the orientation of the planet gets more favorable. Of course, at the pace you're on, you may get it next week.

#17 Greg K.

Greg K.

• Administrators
  • Loc: Clifton Park, NY

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Unbelievable. Nice work!

#18 Tassydevil

Tassydevil

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tasmania, Australia

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Darryl
just super images, I can come mow your yard but you would need to have lots of beer and let me use your scope :grin:

cheers

Graeme.

#19 Timthelder

Timthelder

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bowling Green KY

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

The 742nm polar projection to me, seems to disclose the most 'scientific' detail.

Non-scientifically speaking, looks like a four ring circus with some bull in the middle... :grin:

Cheers

#20 ZielkeNightsky

ZielkeNightsky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

Fantastic images Darryl.

The IR and RGB images really shows different features. Most exiting.

I'm not sure you can count on the scale of the polar feature after the projection. So it could be smaller or larger.

Keep them coming

#21 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Thanks "Pauls" (x3) David, Dror, Bill, Pete, Steve, Shawn, Greg, Graeme, Tim & Lars - all the comments are most uplifting! :)

Graeme, the "lawn" is only about 3m x 5m.....it's a lawn when I occassionally mow it - otherwise it's a mini-jungle outside our kitchen! (and I didn't mow it anyway - I said I've got a lazy side!!! :grin:)

Lars, I would say you're absolutely right about the scales being distorted! :waytogo:

I've sent off a couple of emails to the "big boys" and will wait to hear what they might have to say.....I'm off to bed now with a very satisfied smile on my dial: this morning after the clouds stopped pestering us (and the backyard mozzies also) I think we shot our best captures so far.....you really do have to curb any rising optimism over any specific imaging session untill you see "what's in the can" - but if the blue channel was any indication we've got some grounds for optimism thereon - haven't seen it that good for a couple of years, the red was great at best and sometimes dipped a bit, but it all depends upon just how well each channel held up frame numbers-wise in any one avi set - we finished with a 10000 frame set (including iR742nM) for some WinJupos combining also, which might be interesting..! :fingerscrossed: :question: :)

#22 Rankinstudio

Rankinstudio

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern UT

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Looking forward to seeing the new data processed!

#23 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cheshire, UK

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:16 AM

Great work Darryl capturing that vortex in the Hex is pretty hot stuff! I prefer the processing on these images too.

#24 geminijk

geminijk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

Very cool! You have encouraged planetary images to try for that feature no doubt. Great accomplishment.

congrats.

John

#25 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:56 AM

Super again Darryl!
I think you need to have some rest :)

Cloudy Nights LLC