• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Administrators
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

Peter if you pick up the 130, your smallest scope will be the same size as my largest. :lol:

#27 Patrik Iver

Patrik Iver

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kaarina, Finland

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

For me:
Not grab & go, but I use mine on a DM6 and Berlebach Planet, so the combination is quite heavy, but also very stable.
I tried using it on my much lighter Giro II and Berlebach UNI 18 L, but considered it seriously undermounted.

I'm getting a 105 mm f/6 (also an oil spaced triplet) in order to have something significantly lighter and more portable. That OTA should be ready for delivery sometime during next summer.

#28 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Everyone is touching on the real issue of owning the GT. Absolutely, it will show more than a Traveler or any other quality 4" refractor. The level of planetary and DSO detail seen is obvious, appreciable and satisfying over those. The catch is to mount the scope in a manner that allows one to use it with the same frequency as the smaller instruments. Otherwise, you might just as well observe with the 175 or 24" for the effort expended!

I used to take my TV Genesis out on its super polaris mount in one trip, counterweights and all. I used it heavily! Nightly! Even though the GT is physically not much bigger, it is twice the weight and then add the additional counterweight! The alt/az solution may be the best answer to use this scope with ease. Nova Hitch, DSV-3, DM-4/6 and even the TV Gibraltar 5 come to mind and seem to be the mount of choice over equatorials, which I prefer for various reasons. I use my GT on a CG5 Goto primarily and a Mach1 more recently, but it is not grab and go and takes a few trips to rig and get going. Result? Decreased use versus the Genesis.

So, is the scope worth getting? Absolutely! The one piece of advice I'd give...consider your mounting options wisely. I have owned the GT since it was first released in 2008...I still have yet to mount it in a manner that is satisfactory to using it as grab and go!

#29 skullpin

skullpin

Ranger 4

• Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

I have a Borg 125SD and a DM4.... a comparable set up that I consider grab'n'go. Two trips, one with scope in case in one hand, starbound chair in other, second trip with DM4 (legs already spread and locked) in one hand, eyepiece box in other. Set up is under one minute, only the time to extract the scope from the case and lock it into the DM4's tilt-in saddle. It is not quite as grab'n'go as some people like to carry everything all put together out in one trip, but I still find it pretty easy to live with.

The Borg+rings is almost half the weight of the AP+rings though (11 vs 20 lbs). Additionally, the Borg case holds the scope+rings+diagonal which is very convenient.

If you think a 20 pound instrument is easy to haul out at a moment's notice, the AP should be similarly easy to live with. Having to handle the diagonal and rings separately will be a minor nuisance, though the Borg case is available for sale and I believe it might fit the AP GT130+rings+diagonal. I know first hand that the DM4 is quite capable of handling the extra weight as I quite successfully used it with a TV np127is (about 19lbs with rings and diagonal).

Keith

#30 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

It is a chunky scope, feels very dense for it size. You sure don't whip it around like an FS128.

#31 APtelephoto

APtelephoto

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

It is a stout piece of work to be sure. It seems the main focus of the replies has been with respect to the portability and stability of mounts. I use my "GT" on a home shop built alt/az mount (similar to a halfhitch) and know of other "GT" users quite happy with using a DM6 and/or other stout alt/az type mounts.

The "GT" is a most portable and capable optic for visual and photographic use. My daytime experience over the past 3 1/2 years has produced thousands wonderful wildlife images during many thousands of miles of travel. My evening use is primarily visual. I do carry the scope on the mount across fields (with a DSLR attached or diagonal with an eyepiece) on my shoulder routinely. My second hand is free to carry a mug of coffee or an eyepiece case.

The views... all one expects from an Astro-Physics refractor! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Pete

Attached Files

#32 Zoomit

Zoomit

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Tehachapi, CA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

I put my name on the AP 130EDF list around 2005.

wait, what?? I added my name on 3/2/04 and haven't heard anything. Gonna need to contact AP...

#33 Scott99

Scott99

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New England

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

Peter - I would give the 130 a try, you might use it more than you think. Obviously it will be a lot dimmer than your big scopes, but it's big enough to show very good views of the planets from light-polluted places, or at times when you don't want to set everything up for a serious session, like when the moon is out.

I've got a TEC110 right now that I thought I would try and then sell right away, instead it's been sticking around. It's just too easy to set up it on my alt-az mount (Teegul) and get a nice view of Jupiter and a few other things. Even with just 110mm, I find the view each night of Jupiter changes enough to keep it interesting, 130 would be even better.

#34 Jayo

Jayo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Quebec City

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

I had an AP 130EDF myself. For many years did lotsa ap with it and was a first-class visual instrument. I sold it as I was fed up with time required to setting up my G11...a terrific, solid match for the 130. If your skies are routinely stable, you'll love this scope. Up here in the North East, the seeing is horrible and my AP Stowaway often gave more stable views. I bought an FSQ-ED and yes it was fabulous too, but much too heavy for Grab & Go on my smaller mounts. I scaled down to the lighter and shorter TEC110FL myself. Every bit as good as AP quality, optically and mechanically. No, the views are not quite those of the 130 on nights of perfect seeing...but the smaller TEC gets more use being on a simple EZ-Touch mount or my iOpton EQ30. So it all comes down to your 'seeing' skies and whether you have the patience to lug out heavier mounts, set up times, etc.
If you have a permanent set up, the 130EDF is a no-brainer.

#35 Peter Natscher

Peter Natscher

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Coast California

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

Observed with my 175EDF this weekend at a one-hour-away Bortle blue site. Views of many DSO's were satisfying considering I'm used to observing with my larger Dobs. Set up with a 900GTO and ATS Portable Pier does take longer than setting up my 24" StarStructure Dob. At larger apertures, say 6" or more, a refractor with eq, mount with all the parts adds up to more time setting up and dismantling away from home.

Everyone is touching on the real issue of owning the GT. Absolutely, it will show more than a Traveler or any other quality 4" refractor. The level of planetary and DSO detail seen is obvious, appreciable and satisfying over those. The catch is to mount the scope in a manner that allows one to use it with the same frequency as the smaller instruments. Otherwise, you might just as well observe with the 175 or 24" for the effort expended!

I used to take my TV Genesis out on its super polaris mount in one trip, counterweights and all. I used it heavily! Nightly! Even though the GT is physically not much bigger, it is twice the weight and then add the additional counterweight! The alt/az solution may be the best answer to use this scope with ease. Nova Hitch, DSV-3, DM-4/6 and even the TV Gibraltar 5 come to mind and seem to be the mount of choice over equatorials, which I prefer for various reasons. I use my GT on a CG5 Goto primarily and a Mach1 more recently, but it is not grab and go and takes a few trips to rig and get going. Result? Decreased use versus the Genesis.

So, is the scope worth getting? Absolutely! The one piece of advice I'd give...consider your mounting options wisely. I have owned the GT since it was first released in 2008...I still have yet to mount it in a manner that is satisfactory to using it as grab and go!

#36 Daud

Daud

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Peter, how involved is the setup with the Dob and how frequently are you using it ?

#37 Peter Natscher

Peter Natscher

Viking 1

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

Off Topic. Sent PM.

Peter, how involved is the setup with the Dob and how frequently are you using it ?

#38 Scott99

Scott99

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New England

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

>>>consider your mounting options wisely. I have owned the GT since it was first released in 2008...I still have yet to mount it in a manner that is satisfactory to using it as grab and go!

I didn't read this before- this does make a lot of sense. It might be better to drop down to the TEC110 for grab-n-go, the 130 is too big for most small mounts. For someone with a 6 or 7 inch apo, it probably does make more sense to get a grab-n-go in the 4-4.5 inch range. The 130 might be better for someone with only large reflectors that wants a mid-size apo.

#39 Rossmon

Rossmon

Messenger

• Loc: Marin County, CA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

my tv np127 is a real example of a grabngo 5" ota. 14lbs, f5.2 fits into the np101 case. reviewed on this site! Worked well on my gm8 and a bit cheaper!

Ross

#40 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Peter,
Did you make the call to get the scope?

#41 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

I wish they still had plans to make smaller refractors. I'd love something like a traveler. I could wait 10 years for that.

I feel your pain. Had the Traveler been produced one more time I would have gotten the call. I got on the list in early 2000 and they got up to late 1999, or so I was told a few years back.

So I was a little ticked how they handled the Stowaways. Not sure. I would have taken one, but I think a call would have been nice.

#42 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

Yes, Pete, you should buy the scope, IF...

...you want/need a highly portable (including airline portable, due to its modularity) top quality, large aperture (for a refractor) scope for grab & go, general travel or similar use for which portability is a prime virtue.

Regards,

Jim

#43 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

So I was a little ticked how they handled the Stowaways. Not sure. I would have taken one, but I think a call would have been nice

Yeah, AP has an odd track record of offerings. I did my best to get on the 180 list several years ago...No Go, said it was closed even though I showed an interest. Lo and behold, out comes the 175EDF last year and people not even on the list or showed interest in such a scope get the call?!?!? Then, back in '07 the 140 comes out, no one on the 130 list gets a call to order first...new list, get in line?!?!?! People who attended NEAF take delivery within months...I'm on the 130 list for 8 years?!?!? A friend of mine attends NEAF and signs up as the first couple folks on the RH list, he notes the names ahead of him. A high profile imager who signs up well after him gets one and my friend...still waiting! I have a couple such dealings with AP that left me scratchin' my noggin'!!! :foreheadslap: :lol: Thank God TEC has come along and offers the 110, 140, 180 and may again offer the 160 with little to no wait! :bow:

#44 Peter Natscher

Peter Natscher

Viking 1

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

I haven't been notified yet. Depends where my name is on the notification list.

Peter,
Did you make the call to get the scope?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics