Finally, some sun!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

After a long month with no sun, the Lunt and I went out on the front porch.

In the couple of months I've owned this scope and the 4 short observing sessions I's had, I could never see surface detail. I'd tune and focus and get a hint of it, but not what I expected. I was seeing photographs taken with the same scope that showed incredible detail. I thought, "what the heck is wrong?" I could see prominences, just fine, but the surface, other than sunspots, was mush.

Well, today, I discovered that is was as simple as the seeing. Today was the first warmer winter day we've had in weeks and the wind was calm, too. It was also the nicest day since getting the scope in December.

All I have to say is, "there it is!"

What a show the sun was putting on today. A half a dozen Dark snakes all over the surface and a bright spot that looked like whirlpool into Hades.

There were prominences all around edge of the sun. Two groups looked like trees. The brightest of all looked like a mushroom. One long group of fine filaments looked like lace extending off into space further than any others. There were two tiny arches, too.

Awesome day and the best yet with the Lunt. It's my wife's favorite astronomy toy because she doesn't have to stay up late and it works well with the Denks.

#2 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

Jim

You discovered the problem yourself, but I was about to tell you the same thing. Seeing wash out all the detils even in a larger scope. Proms sty always visible with bad seeing except they ar distorded.

If you have a look at my lat days sketches, you will find all theses nice snakes you are talking about. Fantastic details this week. I'm glad you some sun.

Andre

#3 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Andre,

Saw your sketches for today. Outstanding as always. Exactly as I saw things today. Great day for solar observations.

#4 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Jim

On my side, the seeing wasn't that good as the previous three days. But still interesting to see.

Andre

#5 Matt Wastell

Matt Wastell

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Paddington, Brisbane, Australia

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

Glad the scope is not the issue - you must feel good?

#6 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

You betcha, Matt!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics