Photo

Help me find Stars and Stellar Systems Vol. 4?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Svezda

Svezda

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

I am a somewhat compulsive astro book fanatic and have a pretty big library. One series I liked when I first saw it a long time ago in my college days is the 'Stars and Stellar Systems' series published by the Univ. of Chicago (not the new series of a similar name - the one I'm interested in was published in the 1960's Barbara Middlehurst was the editor).

There were supposedly nine volumes published, but I've /never/ seen a volume 4 ('Clusters and Binaries') for sale or even mentioned on the Net. I have all eight volumes that seem to exist but would like to find the mystery volume 4. I doubt that it was ever published. If anyone has ever seen one, I'd like to know. I don't have much hope of completing the collection if this rare one actually exists, but I'd like to know so I don't have to keep looking if it in fact was never published.

The intro to the series mentions this volume in connection with the others but simply in a one sentence note about what the various volumes cover. I think this intro was written before the contents of Vol. 4 were seriously in the works. Probably it simply didn't get finished or maybe never got started.

Thanks for any help with this! :help:

-Jason

#2 Richard McC

Richard McC

Vanguard

• Loc: Australia

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

A person who is not a CloudyNights member emailed the following to the CloudyNights Admin mailbox:

Answer: I believe the volume was never published. If you look on the rear dust jacket of volume 9 ( which was published many years after the rest of the set ) all the previous volumes are described, except volume 4.

I cannot verify the accuracy of this statement but I thank the person who contributed it! :)

#3 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

Sent a request for info to the Universaty of Chicago library, if I get a reply, Ill let you know, either way.

#4 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:18 AM

Reply from the University of Chicao librarian.

" Thank you for contacting the University of Chicago's Ask a Librarian service. Like you, we do not own volume 4 of Stars and Stellar Systems. I did find in Google Books a University of Chicago Press advertisement for the series that appeared in the May 1966 issue of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientist. It notes that "Clusters and Binaries," which was to be edited by Harold Weaver, had not yet been published. I also found a reference to the series in Robert C. Smith's Observational Astrophysics (Cambridge University Press, 1995, p. 412). He says that only eight volumes were published, the missing volume being, as you noted, volume 4.

In JSTOR I found the article, "Astrophysics in 2005," which appeared in the July 2006 issue of the Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific (published by the University of Chicago Press). It too notes that volume 4 of the series had not been published.

Our Special Collections Research Center, which houses the University Archives, has the Records of the University of Chicago Press, and the online finding aid lists a file that includes material on the series:

Box 280, Folder 9: Kuiper, Gerard P., and Barbara Middlehurst, eds., Stars and Stellar Systems (1960-)

Since the dates of coverage for the papers are 1892-1965, it is unlikely that there will be more information on the fate of volume 4. I did, however find a record for the University of Chicago Press Records, Addenda. There is not an online finding aid for the collection, but I will forward your question to Special Collections. Staff there may be able to provide you with additional information.

You could also try contacting Harold Weaver, who is Professor Emeritus of Astronomy at the University of California at Berkeley. Since he was to be the editor of volume 4, he may know more about why it failed to be published.

Good luck in your pursuit of the mystery of "Clusters and Binaries." "

I will endeavor to contact Professor Weaver, if you still want to know more.

#5 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

also:

Hello,

The general reference desk forwarded your request to me. I looked at box 280, folder 9 of the University of Chicago Press records. Unfortunately, there is no information about volume IV 'Clusters and Binaries' of the Stars and Stellar Systems that was to be edited by Harold Weaver.

I also looked at the finding aid for the Addenda to the University of Chicago Press records. Again, though it had information about other volumes of the series, there was no file about volume IV.

Good luck tracking down the fate of volume IV. Do let us know what you find!

Thank you,

Rena Schergen
Administrative and Reader Services Assistant
Special Collections Research Center

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics