Meade 12x60 Astronomical Binoculars for $20

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:21 AM

Indeed, treat all stars as being 'painted' on the inside surface of a *very* large sphere, with Earth at the center. Whether it be the Sun (the nearest star)--or even a satellite in low orbit--or a distant quasar, all celestial objects are for these purposes at optical infinity. Their distance can be thought of as identical.

And even when considering objects at differing distance, the *angular* separation between them is completely independent of their distance. after all, what we're concerned about is only the angle as defined by the vertex where the two lines of sight converge at the observer, and which would be measured directly by a protractor placed in the plane defined by the relevant three points.

#27 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

I ordered a pair of these. I share others' impressions. The binos arrived marginally poorly packed--just two layers of bubble wrap in a box. They were, however, well collimated on arrival. For $20, how long they STAY collimated is anyone's guess. I find the eyepieces have a somewhat narrow AFOV--like looking through a Kellner rather than the more common Erfle- or Koenig-style eyepieces. I haven't measured true aperture yet. For me, they won't be my main binos but they fill a hole between my 7x50s and my 20x80s and I have a spare L-bracket and a spare tripod so they were worth the plunge.

But that's not why I'm posting.

The binos come without a case. Most cases, even soft cases, will cost more than the bino itself. But one day I was browsing Cabela's Bargain Cave online and spotted this:

http://www.cabelas.c...categoryId=0...

The size "Small" looked about right according to my measurement of the binos compared with the published dimensions of the case. At ten bucks, the price was right, too. I have a Cabela's in my town so I had one shipped site-to-store. It arrived yesterday.

It fits very well. I was concerned that it would be a hair tight, but it is actually a hair loose (though not loose enough to worry about). Padding is there but minimal, like a laptop case, but I wouldn't bang around any $20 binos, case or not.

If anyone wants a reasonably-priced soft case to keep dirt and dust off of these binos, look into the Cabela's case, size Small, at the above link. Even without site-to-store, I don't think shipping would be prohibitive as the case is very light.

The Small is still in stock in the Bargain Cave as of today (Thursday, 2/28/13).

The other sizes might work for other binos too. Just measure yours.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics