My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!!

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

Just got word that the LX850s are being shipped to us recall customers. Should be getting our scopes next week or the week after depending on location and OTA size.

I am beside myself. Ordered my 14" November 2nd, 2011. Received it May 15th, 2012. It was picked up for recall June 20th. and now it is on its way Feb. 2013.

Very excited!

Tony

#2 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

Congratulations! I saw on the Meade 4M site that all of the LX850s are now shipping. Gonna be fun!

Enjoy!

#3 DrOxygen

DrOxygen

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

Wow, I knew this day would finally come. I will expect unboxing pictures etc. Congratulations I wish you the best with this setup and look forward to your first impressions. I'm excited and I don't even have one on order! :jump:

#4 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

Remember, you didn't take delivery if we don't see proof...lotsa' pictures, if you will. :grin:

David

#5 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

WOOO!!! :) I can't wait to see the pictures from this mount :D. Congrat's Ahopp!

And I second what David said, pictures PICTURES PICTURES!!

:lol:

#6 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

I am out of state next week, so when I get back it will be pictures galore.

Tony

#7 Scotty H

Scotty H

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Surrey,UK

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Congrats :waytogo:....... and fingers crossed to everyone who has ordered one of these

Scott

#8 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Congrats :waytogo:....... and fingers crossed to everyone who has ordered one of these

Scott

Yes. Best of luck to all. I'd like to see this product succeed.

#9 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Just got word that the LX850s are being shipped to us recall customers. Should be getting our scopes next week or the week after depending on location and OTA size.

I am beside myself. Ordered my 14" November 2nd, 2011. Received it May 15th, 2012. It was picked up for recall June 20th. and now it is on its way Feb. 2013.

Very excited!

Tony

Congrats, Tony. We can definitely help you get it setup when you get it in. Looking forward to seeing what your Malincam can do as well. Hopefully we can use all of that equipment you have had for so long just sitting there.

#10 Pak

Pak

Vostok 1

• Loc: The Great Arc

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

I look forward to the 25 page thread of problems that Meade has once again ignored like they did on everything else. I wish you the best Tony and hopefully things go well for you. I am not holding my breath though.

Edit: Looking at their new info http://www.meade.com/lx850
And comparing it to their old info, I see some changes that are interesting. No more mention of a focal reducer/flattener. No more mention of zero shift internal crayford style focuser. No more mention that there is no movement in the mirror. Now you have to have a mirror lock. Now ships with an electric focuser which is garbage. Pointing is at 1 arcminute. I am sorry but 1 arcminute? This unit is supposed to image stars and center them, then slew to the object and using another image center the object. The $300.00 Celestron Starsense addon can do that. Pointing should be dead on with this system. 1 arcminute seems high to me in my opinion. I wonder how many of the LX200 bugs that Andrew talks about are still in this system. They have been trying to convince Meade to fix them for a very long time and have been rebuffed. Well like I said, good luck to everyone. Keep us up to date on your trials and tribulations :kitty:

#11 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

I took my temporary setup out to the desert this weekend. I have been told that they made a change between when I got this one and the units they are shipping so I will be getting a replacement mount. They still have my 14" OTA which I am supposed to get back at the same time. Right now I have the 12" I've been using. Unfortunately I am under a NDA so I am not allowed to discuss anything more than "I have one". Hopefully that'll be lifted once they end up back in your hands so we can discuss the mount together. Here is a photo of the LX850 and the 12" ota on my pier out at GMARS.
Note: The white finder scope I added as I thought it looked better than the blue. :)

Attached Files

#12 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

You are a beta tester or you paid for it?

#13 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Mount base looks quite rickety with such a stand back look at the whole setup; how solid is it? This design being a mimic of Mach1, base should have been 900GTO kind instead. Thx

#14 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Mount base looks quite rickety with such a stand back look at the whole setup; how solid is it? This design being a mimic of Mach1, base should have been 900GTO kind instead. Thx

OMG, you're right! I never noticed it until now, it does look similar to the Mach1!! My Mach1 doesn't feel rickety tho so why would the Meade?

#15 frozen.kryo

frozen.kryo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

The polar forks should be up the job. If it was "rickety", the issue should have cropped up on the LX800 thread.

I guess the base just looks rickety because of the narrower stance compared to the AP/Bisque mounts.

#16 Pak

Pak

Vostok 1

• Loc: The Great Arc

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

The polar forks should be up the job. If it was "rickety", the issue should have cropped up on the LX800 thread.

I guess the base just looks rickety because of the narrower stance compared to the AP/Bisque mounts.

Nobody had a working LX800 so I doubt anyone was concerned about it. I remember seeing one in person at an expo. If you grab the counterweight bar and wiggle it, you can SEE the flex in that joint. I don't think the knob that tightens it is strong enough either. I think a lot of people will be cranking hard on that knob to try to eliminate that wiggle and break it off.

#17 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

Yes. Best of luck to all. I'd like to see this product succeed.

+1 :fingerscrossed:

#18 frozen.kryo

frozen.kryo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

Can't argue with your personal experience with the mount. I have not seen this mount in person. :D The problem could just be a one-off though as the mounts in these expos are usually just engineering samples.

I guess we'll see if this is indeed a weak point in the design once the 850s are in user's hands.

#19 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

WWIN, so you're under NDA because you're a beta tester or because...? How was Jason able to talk with us?

#20 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

WWIN, so you're under NDA because you're a beta tester or because...? How was Jason able to talk with us?

He may clear things through Meade? I don't know Jason but I think his relationship with Meade is different than mine. I am a beta tester but my specific job was to be a "new customer" and give them feedback on the "new out of the box experience". What worked, what didn't. What I had trouble with, what I didn't. If there were any problems I had were they user error or was it the mount etc. As a condition of getting my mount back early so I could have something to play with, I had to sign the NDA that said I could not reveal any results either positive or negative. Once they start shipping and people start reporting on them, all the information becomes public knowledge and I am free to discuss things. All I can say now is that I have one but it isn't the one I will end up with in the end according to my most recent email from Meade. I haven't heard from them since mid last week and I had no idea that they are shipping already. I am out of the loop. I think Jason is in the loop and has a better relationship with Meade than I do. I was after all the instrument of their destruction when they released the LX800.

#21 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:39 AM

My Mach1 doesn't feel rickety tho so why would the Meade?

Because Mach1 is half the capacity of LX850.

#22 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

Rickety, I do not care if it looks like the leaning tower of Piza, as long as it performs to spec. Which better include carrying a 90# load.

I do, however, care about fit and finish too. And from what it looked like when I first got the 14" it was built beautifully. I am sure that the LX850 will also be beautifully built.

One more observation, when I got the LX800 back in May i thought it was the nicest looking Meade product I have seen, so, even aesthetically they are making progress as a company. I just hope they do not falter again.

Tony

#23 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Post deleted by EFT

#24 Griffin!

Griffin!

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

I'm not sure where you read that the internal crayford focuser was gone, it says right in the specs for the ACF models:

"Focus System

Internal Crayford style zero image-shift primary mirror focus with dual speed 7:1 control"

And Jason Ware has confirmed it's stil on the OTAs

#25 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

Because Mach1 is half the capacity of LX850.

If you compare the LX-850 and the Mach 1 side by side, you can see that the former appears to be a clone of the latter.

I guess that Meade's manufacturing process is so superior to AP's, that the Meade can carry twice as much.

Who knew?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics