My 14" LX850 is Shipping!!!

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#51 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:37 AM

Very nice first light! Congrats Glen if you are reading this thread.

#52 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ISRAEL

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:06 AM

Tony,
May the mount gods be with you :waytogo:
We are looking forward to your first light report.

#53 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

Asteron, I will report ASAP w/Pictures and first light report.

Also, I got a call from Meade about my scope. I should have tracking info by midweek. And, he informed me that I had a $500 credit on Meade gear for all the trouble. I thought that was pretty cool and will spend the money on a 6000 series 80mm APO. Should make a nice little piggy-back scope.

Tony

#54 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Asteron, I will report ASAP w/Pictures and first light report.

Also, I got a call from Meade about my scope. I should have tracking info by midweek. And, he informed me that I had a $500 credit on Meade gear for all the trouble. I thought that was pretty cool and will spend the money on a 6000 series 80mm APO. Should make a nice little piggy-back scope.

Tony

Wow!! That is awesome!! I it is true that good things come to those who wait.

#55 HunterofPhotons

HunterofPhotons

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, USA

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

And he's posted a first light image:

http://www.meade4m.c...ht-with-lx85...

The color seems a bit washed out. <g>

dan k.

#56 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

Stars are elongated and show peaks at each end. Guiding was not too great if you ask me. But hey, if it is good enough for you, go for it!
Blueman

#57 Griffin!

Griffin!

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

He posted a follow up comment under his image regarding alignment. Personally I think the stars look great, but it'll be interesting to see what others get out of the mount.

"I did not take a lot of time aligning the scope, was in a rush to get something.
Next image will be after a more thorough alignment, and taking some flat fields. StarLock found a guide star and acquired it in a few seconds. The slew was so good that I didn't have to center it manually (that was an issue with the LX 800 - it would slew close enough for visual, but not for imaging.if the image seems off center, that is due to the cropping done to fit the gallery."

#58 galaxy_jason

galaxy_jason

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

Stars are elongated and show peaks at each end. Guiding was not too great if you ask me. But hey, if it is good enough for you, go for it!
Blueman

I took this into photoshop and resampled it up 300 percent. This stars are a bit bean shaped which looks a bit like a collimation issue rather than guiding.

#59 Pak

Pak

Vostok 1

• Loc: The Great Arc

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

I am looking forward to more reports. I am worried with only having one report back so far. Did everyone but Tony and Glen cancel their orders? Is everyone waiting to get reports before ordering? Granted only the 10" versions seem to have shipped so far. Hopefully next week we'll have more images to look at.

I would still like to see a nice starfield taken after auto-everything has been done and a nice sub of 10 minutes or so.

Just one unstacked in .tif and .fits format.

Auto calibrate Starlock.
Starlock assist drift align
Starlock assist PEC training.

10 minute sub.

Also as an aside. I have the pre-order going on the Celestron Starsense which is basically for pointing and alignment assist. I am interested in a comparison done between a $329.00 retail accessory add-on and a $5-7K mount's ability to center objects. Perhaps someone with the LX850 could run through 10 or so and snap off a photo of each object so we can see how centered they are.

#60 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Hmmm, I guess there may be some "tweaking" to do with this first image, but for a quick set-up and "get that pict", I think it is quite amazing. No time spent loving, learning, and getting to know all the nuances of the LX850 - just a quick "date" and got the picture. Pretty good to me.

Now just patiently waiting for my 14" LX850...and MallinCam...and, oh you know the drill!

-- Andrew

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics