Nexus 7 Sky Safari Screen Brightness Disappointing

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 tezster

tezster

Viking 1

• Loc: Missisauga, Canada

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

Interesting - I'll try this when I get home on my N7.

#27 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

with the nexus 7 it does seem a little brighter if screendim is off. with screendim on it definitely does not get brighter.

screendim with everything down and SS not in night mode:

Attached Files

#28 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

with night mode turned on (pretty dang good ;):

both ISO 200, 2 secs exposure.

i will test with my phone (also android)..

Attached Files

#29 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

i just took a second batch of photos with my phone side by side next to my nexus 7. in one set it does look like the backlight IS brighter when going into night mode in SS ... but not on my android phone only on the nexus 7. i kind of suspect this is a hardware issue.. i have a friend whos a software developer and he's complained vocally how hard it is to write for android as all the devices are so different.. you can see how many apps behave differently on different android devices.

what prompted my earlier post (about not seeing a problem) was a test i did under the covers in daylight i turned on night mode with the tablet screen facing away from me so i could see the output as it reflected off a surface not looking directly into it, and saw no noticeable light output. i cant see it visually either ! but i havent tried this fully light adapted... the other night i used paper charts with a red flashlight for a change and totally forgot to test this.

from my experiments the nexus 7 is more usable with screendim on (all settings turned completely down in that) and with skysafari still in "daylight" mode. not because of the extra glow but because its so dark i cant see the red text if screendim is all the way down (which i prefer) as ill end up using the screen keyboard sometimes.

im kind of at a loss how my pics above dont show an issue but additional pics do. definitely need to visually inspect do this while entirely dark adapted i think.

in any case i ordered some film from scopestuff :)

#30 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

both with brightness turned all the way down, dalyight mode in SS, no screendim turned on.

Attached Files

#31 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

both with brightness turned all the way down, nightlight mode in SS, no screendim turned on.

Attached Files

#32 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

both with brightness turned all the way down, daylight mode in SS, screendim turned on.

Attached Files

#33 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

both with brightness turned all the way down, night mode in SS, screendim turned on.

Attached Files

#34 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

maybe its not brighter..looked like it might have been in the camera preview window. ok im done , but thats what i got.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics