A warm evening conjunction, Feb 7

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

We had a high above 70 and tonight will be in the 40's. I took a walk toward the airbase and set up for a sunset shot of the Mars and Mercury Conjunction. I know many are getting clobbered with a bad snowstorm tonight. Hope this warms the heart. Click on link to image at Astrobin. Thanks for looking.

Mars Mercury Conjunction

Paul

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

A very nice image Paul - I really like the composition of the foreground for this.....any chance they were Mercury vapour lamps/streetlights..?!? :grin:

Those leafless branches are very complimentary to the road infrastructure.....I apologise for knowing next-to-nothing on Tucson and its' surrounds (apart from it's in Arizona) but are they the Sierra's peaking through in the background..? :question:

On an AA level it looks like some ridiculously tiny Mars imaging might be on the cards in a few months....! :lol:

#3 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

Thanks, Darryl.

They are palo verde trees. The wood is porous, not good for burning and you can't make anything with it. Those and mesquite trees are very common. Mesquites are hardy, and make nice fires and unique furniture. Ironwood trees can be found in the vicinity too.

Even though our county and city has ordinances for light pollution, there are many of these kinds of street lights near us.

The mountains are the Baboquivari Mountains, which Kitt Peak and many soon to be de-funded telescopes sit. Hopefully, this weekend's seminar will find some way to keep these scopes running and available. I think that may be Kitt Peak, just left of center in the Astrobin image.

Paul

And a Kitt Peak close up from another angle and another day.

Attached Files

#4 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

.....apart from the observatory this scene could be any of many in South Australia also Paul: scrubby bush, dirt tracks and craggy hills/ranges - you'd be right at home most probably! :)

'Course, if you did come here for an extended holiday when all the planets are aligned "down" here around 2018 I'd be glad to show you around a bit including some of my favourite imaging locations - if I'm not pushing up daisies by then, that is! :question: :lol:

Who wouldn't have heard of mesquite anywhere - what with all the Westerns! :)

#5 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

Spending a few months in Australia is on my bucket list, Darryl. And, in 2018, I will be close to retirement and 64 years. Not ready to push up daisies. I'm sure "the outback" would seem like home. I'd take you up on that tour.

If I could get a work visa, I'd make the trip earlier and stay longer. But, there is no shortage of workers in my field. So, I wasn't eligible.

#6 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

Very nice Paul! Pretty amazing how bright Mercury can be. I wonder what astrologers make of this conjunction - as if it matters! :)

Glenn

#7 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Yes, I had to check Starry Night because I thought the brighter one was Mars. I'm easily fooled. Thanks, Glenn.

#8 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Paul, excellent conjunction shot! The Kitt peak pic is especially nice as the snow continues to dump here in CT. Thanks for posting

Regards,
Steve

#9 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Thanks, Steve. Hope the family doesn't get cabin fever. I've been following the reports...

Hang in there!

Paul

#10 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Very nice Paul! Pretty amazing how bright Mercury can be. I wonder what astrologers make of this conjunction - as if it matters! :)
Glenn

"The current aspect of your "House" position to Saturn isn't particularly favourable...especially since Mercury (The Mesenger of the Gods) has informed you that Mars (the God of War) is about to build a new Air Force base right next to you and set up enormous floodlights switched on 24/7...in fact, your "House" will be worth diddly-squat anyway for AA activities now...best turn to Uranus :question: :shocked: and make that sudden change he presages: ie, move "House" to Barbados, make your booze of choice rum because it's cheap there but don't expect to stay at that nice motel room next to the pool - Damian has a permanent booking on it!" :lol:

#11 Timthelder

Timthelder

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bowling Green KY

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

Glenn

"The current aspect of your "House" position to Saturn isn't particularly favourable...especially since Mercury (The Mesenger of the Gods) has informed you that Mars (the God of War) is about to build a new Air Force base right next to you and set up enormous floodlights switched on 24/7...in fact, your "House" will be worth diddly-squat anyway for AA activities now...best turn to Uranus :question: :shocked: and make that sudden change he presages: ie, move "House" to Barbados, make your booze of choice rum because it's cheap there but don't expect to stay at that nice motel room next to the pool - Damian has a permanent booking on it!" :lol:

Please stop Daryl...Your killing meeee! Bwaaahahahahaha!

Point at hand...Beautiful pic Paul!

Cheers, Tim.

#12 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

I was gonna walk on by Glenn's astrologer comment...knowing it to be ample fodder for another rich in the art of word craft. :step:

Way to go, Darryl. :rockon:

#13 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

Thanks, Tim!

#14 mitovka

mitovka

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Slovakia, CE