Photo

Delrin Debutantes (5 Russell 's: Konigs & Finders)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

A quintet of 1.25" Polymer-enshrouded oculars that I have acquired from Russell Optics & Machine of Arizona.
(Aren't they just as purty as petunias?:flower:)

Left to Right:

10mm "Research Grade" Konig
12mm Meade finder-scope-based X-Hair
14mm SWA Konig
18mm "Research Grade" SWA Konig
22mm Meade finder-scope-based X-Hair

All Delrin, All the Time :rockon:

Attached Files

#2 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

From the tops

Attached Files

#3 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

From the bottoms

Attached Files

#4 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

18mm DELRIN "Research Grade" SWA Konig in the focuser of my 50mm ABS F/10 Galileoscope
(LIGHTNING RESISTANT:rockon:)

Attached Files

#5 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

Waiting for clear skies ...
(that's what I get for accepting delivery of 3 new eyepieces in one fell swoop (the two X-hairs and the 14mm)..DOH. :foreheadslap:)

Attached Files

#6 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mendon, MA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

Nice collection Leo! I have a bevy of Russel's too. Love how light they are for 2 inch EP's. I'll post up pix later today.

#7 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

(that's what I get for accepting delivery of 3 new eyepieces in one fell swoop (the two X-hairs and the 14mm)..DOH. :foreheadslap:)

I see Russell Optics has cloud filters, too. Nice image in yer 'fractor, there. Is that Ganymede or Io?
:grin:

#8 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

• Loc: Vienna, VA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

I have several of the GRKs also. Wonderful eyepieces with very clean views...basic, simple work horses that get the job done very well. Of mine, the 21mm is quite the special performer.

Attached Files

#9 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

Thanks John, I am looking forward to seeing your bevy! :grin:

Nice collection Leo! I have a bevy of Russel's too. Love how light they are for 2 inch EP's. I'll post up pix later today.

#10 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Hi Mike,
:whistle:Oh that's nothing, just Ceres, resolving its surface features smartly as usual in my nifty fifty frac here. :roflmao: (This is my fantasy)

Oh who am I kidding!!:bawling:I confess, that's actually my cloud filter you're seeing there that keeps getting installed whenever I'm not looking.
I haven't figured out yet how to uninstall the pesky thing. :question:

I see Russell Optics has cloud filters, too. Nice image in yer 'fractor, there. Is that Ganymede or Io?
:grin:

#11 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

Hi Bill, nice collection- you have some intriguing versions there! We both have the 10mm! But your 14mm looks different, hmm:hmmmm:, Russell Optics looks to always be experimenting with these designs, cool to see (so much variety from these boutique makes, eh!).. I pored over your review of the ones there that you got recently from a couple of months or so back and enjoyed reading it. Workhorses, I have to agree.
They are effectively frou-frou free in my mind. No frilly doilies for these! :p

I have several of the GRKs also. Wonderful eyepieces with very clean views...basic, simple work horses that get the job done very well. Of mine, the 21mm is quite the special performer.

#12 gonzosc1

gonzosc1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

so far I have the 2" 20mm SWA, and 2 of the 1.25 14.5mm SWA for the BV. thinking of getting a pair of the RG 10mm for the BV for plantary viewing.

#13 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

And now, from the depths of Blizzard Nemo: my Russels!

Hard to see them in the low light image:
6.7mm SWA Konig Custom XL
10.5mm SWA Konig XL
13mm SWA Konig XL
16mm Super-Wide Konig XL
19mm SWA Konig XL
7mm R/G Konig JSO
12mm R/G Konig JSO
18mm R/G SWA Konig JSO

And in back:
52mm W/F RKE
60mm W/F RKE

The R/G JSO described by Russel goes as follows:

Back in the 70's and 80's, a company called "Japanese Special Optics" made some lenses for research work done in several areas. They found that, under perfect conditions, the standard 1/8th wave lenses would lose sharpness and contrast under extreme magnification (approx. 1000-2500x), so they developed research-grade lenses that were so perfect they had no less than 1/20th wave surfaces. (Let's be honest, as humans we probably cannot see the difference between 1/8th wave and 1/20th wave, at the powers we view through our telescopes, but all the old-school astronomers remember how much they wanted AND enjoyed the research-grade eyepieces when they could get them.)

Posted Image

I've grouped my modest but large collection into sets I like to use together. The russels, so far, haven't been grouped yet. Being Konig's , with a penchant for slower scopes, will likely be used only on a slow refractor, if I had one. Or an SCT, if they obey the same rules for EP's and scopes with large F-Ratio...

I ended up with so many because of the limited nature of his production runs, and the rarely used Konig and RKE designs. That, and they're very nice! :D

#14 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

:bigshock:Oh I can see them alright ... Those Delrin-laden photons are coming through my monitor bright and clear:drool5:
Exquisite set of Moiston emitters, Monsieur!!(Stay dry!):bow:

And now, from the depths of Blizzard Nemo: my Russels!

Hard to see them in the low light image:
6.7mm SWA Konig Custom XL
10.5mm SWA Konig XL
13mm SWA Konig XL
16mm Super-Wide Konig XL
19mm SWA Konig XL
7mm R/G Konig JSO
12mm R/G Konig JSO
18mm R/G SWA Konig JSO

And in back:
52mm W/F RKE
60mm W/F RKE

#15 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

so far I have the 2" 20mm SWA, and 2 of the 1.25 14.5mm SWA for the BV. thinking of getting a pair of the RG 10mm for the BV for plantary viewing.

Gonzosc1, I would definitely like to try bino-viewing sometime..
very cool that you have a pair of wide Konigs there!:waytogo: Hey, if you and the BV can handle the magnification factors then I say go for it in regards to the 10mm :p (Though I'm admittedly quite clueless when it comes to the whole world of BV observing myself ... well that, and my wallet is giving me the evil eye right now. :help:)

#16 gonzosc1

gonzosc1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

Gonzosc1, I would definitely like to try bino-viewing sometime..
very cool that you have a pair of wide Konigs there!:waytogo: Hey, if you and the BV can handle the magnification factors then I say go for it in regards to the 10mm :p (Though I'm admittedly quite clueless when it comes to the whole world of BV observing myself ... well that, and my wallet is giving me the evil eye right now. :help:)

I just started with the BV and it has been interesting. I'm in the same boat as you for the moment as I don't know alot about BV either. read alot of aricles on it but it makes my brain hurt LOL.. but its fun to try out different EP's to see if they work in BV or not. I started with Celestron E Lux 25mm PL's and they are good to go. the Russell 14.5mm swa are great in the BV. I'm not sure how far I can push the BV with power but from what I have read 10mm might be the limit. still thinking about the Russell 10mm RG ep's. need to decide before they are gone.....

#17 gonzosc1

gonzosc1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

Question for the owners of the 10mm RG ep. I emailed Russell optics and asked but just wanted to check with users of this ep. Russell told me the afov was about 50 degrees and ER was 10mm-12mm. does this compare to what you see in your ep?

#18 catboat

catboat

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

Question for the owners of the 10mm RG ep. I emailed Russell optics and asked but just wanted to check with users of this ep. Russell told me the afov was about 50 degrees and ER was 10mm-12mm. does this compare to what you see in your ep?

This seems to be the case. IIRC, the 50 degree AFOV of the 10mm RG was confirmed by BillP in a thread he started a couple of months ago. The limited field of this 10mm konig raises the question of whether it has any advantage over a typical plossl.

#19 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

The typical Plossl isn't built with research grade glass. :D

#20 catboat

catboat

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

The typical Plossl isn't built with research grade glass. :D