Controlling LS8 with Stellarium

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jimb1001

jimb1001

Messenger

• Loc: Florida

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

I've read that it is possible to control an LS8 using Stellarium.
Could someone advise me on the correct settings.
I only see a selection on Stellarium for a serial connection and I can't get a connection on that or after trying all the available settings.
Is this actually even doable with the LS8?
Thanks

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Scroll down on the "Add" window...you'll see a pulldown where you can select Autostar, etc.

#3 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

There is another member with this scope and has done a how to video on youtube....do a search, member's name is John Kramer.

#4 astrogeoguy

astrogeoguy

Vostok 1

• Loc: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

First key - you have to connect your PC to the USB-B plug on the LS8. That's the square connector on the scope, and not the rectangular one. Jim Kramer's video will cover the rest.

#5 jimb1001

jimb1001

Messenger

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

I've gotten a ways farther down the path but not there yet.
I got 6.0 to run on a Windows laptop running Win 7 ultimate 64 bit.
this enabled me to make an sd card for backup.
I also managed to get the driver to install and the serial port shows in device manager with no error messages.
But, still no communication between the laptop and the telescope.
I'm using com 2 but even in Autostar suite I can't get a connection. I can't get past "select a protocol".
I think it should work with the driver working as a serial emulator, com ports matched and the latest rev of autostar suite running, but I need to look farther.
Oh, well, its been cloudy so I have the time.
With just a brief look through the eyepiece between the clouds the other night I was surprised at how good the optics looked. The alignment and gotos were very easy, (basically you do nothing and it all works out).
Just the thing for the lazy astronomer or an old guy with a bad back.

#6 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

what serial adapter are you using? recommend tripplite/keyspan. very few adapters work well in all applications. keyspan is one that does.

Theo

#7 jimb1001

jimb1001

Messenger

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

what serial adapter are you using? recommend tripplite/keyspan. very few adapters work well in all applications. keyspan is one that does.

Theo

I think I have it solved as I've checked it out indoors and got the scope to respond to Stellarium on the laptop.

The software came from the Meade site and it's set up to run on Com 4.

I've been working on getting my Mallincam working with an old portable DVD player and I had success with that last night.

It also takes a while to get the focus sorted out. I'm using a 6.3 reducer and even so getting the settings and focus sorted on the Mallincam takes a bit of time. The weather hasn't been the most cooperative the past week.

The next clear night is reserved for getting Stellarium working on my tablet or laptop outside in the real world.

The learning curve for getting all these different parts working is, I find, pretty steep. While the LS8 is a marvel in operation, it still needs supervision as I find cord wrap to be a real issue and I can't find a cord wrap setting in the manual. I've already had it choke itself once going round and round.

If I look at all the settings and connections between the scope, the Mallincam, the computer, the tablet, the TV, the DVD player, the dew heaters, the portable power, the house current for the TV and the Mallincam and the eyepieces in one list I'd throw my hands up. Taken one step at a time its almost manageable.

The new Meade scopes seem to take the automation a step further but the price is out of my reach.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics