Photo

Zambuto Mirrors

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Wow, somebody is going to be a very happy camper and be able to go to the head of the line on a Zambuto Newtonian mirror that Carl listed in the vendor section and ready for delivery. Having owned more Zambuto mirrors than anybody in the world in a lot of different brands of telescopes (I am really not bragging because there is nothing to brag about, it is just a reference fact and please, no flames), I frankly cannot get enough of them and the line for them keeps getting longer as the economy is picking up. I will be picking up my 23rd or 24th ZOC mirror in a Parallax Instruments tube Newtonian tomorrow and have been jonesing for this particular scope/mirror combination for at least a year. It is a 14.5" f/5. I have had several conversations with the original owner since the first month that he got it and he and I will be meeting for a handoff tomorrow. Joe Nastasi of Parallax Instruments is a good guy and a heck of a machinist/mount/scope maker. I have had some pretty spectacular tube Newtonians and they seem to really perform in the right tubes/circumstances. I plan to perform experiments with the scope and determine what combination of improvements will give me the most refractor-like images with that large aperture moving on a German Equatorial Mount. I am thinking of a Mag Lev rear fan that will either be sucking or blowing, a Di Lio baffle, and closed or open rear of the tube. All of these things will tell me through experimentation what is most efficacious in terms of potentially improving the scope's native performance which has already been reported to be very high. I am very excited about this. Sadly, I will not be able to physically handle, in any way, the scope for another week after getting it because of recent cataract surgery. I am going to have to have my neighbors unload everything for me :lol: That is akin to 30 days of clouds to me :bawling: Anyway, as they say, "It is all good". Bob

#2 Jeff Porter

Jeff Porter

Vostok 1

• Loc: Utah

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Bob,

Congrats on the new scope and ZOC mirror. I experienced the difference about a year and a half ago when I did a shoot out of two 10" Orion telescopes, one which had a ZOC mirror. Since then I have acquired two of my own, and I am loving every minute of it.

Keep us posted.

Jeff P

#3 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Soyuz

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

I have owned 5 Z mirrors and they are insane for planet viewing in my steady skies with powers over 1000x.

Chas

#4 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Holy moly! 24 Zambuto mirrors! I own two and I'm very pleased with them. I'm sure I will never come close to 24 though.

#5 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

I am very pleased with my one Zambuto and have not looked back.

#6 MDavid

MDavid

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: 29°N (Texas)

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

...Sadly, I will not be able to physically handle, in any way, the scope for another week after getting it because of recent cataract surgery. ...

Did you request any special coatings for your new lens? :rofl2:

#7 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

I've got one on order for my Teeter 11" F/5 STS! It's over budget because I decided to swing for SIPS. David

#8 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

Zambutto mirrors are the best of the best.

#9 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Phil, The number of ZOC mirrors kind of crept up on me. I did not intend to be such a serial user of so many different scopes and sizes of ZOC mirrors but the experiences were soooooo much fun! Mike, I didn't get special coatings but did make sure they were aspheric lenses to cut down on light scatter ;) And finally, David, You are the first person I have heard of getting a SIPS in an 11" scope and f/5 at that. You sure won't have to worry about coma. That is going to be one wild telescope! Bob

#10 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdome

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

I have always lusted after a Zambuto mirror. When I built my dob Carl didn't yet sell to the general public so I "settled" on an Ed Stevens mirror. AFAIK it was one of the last 14.5" mirrors he made. Someday I hope to retire and get a 20" or 22" sub f4 mirror, either a Lockwood or ???.

#11 Alan A.

Alan A.

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

Bob,

Congrats! - I am sure you will enjoy your new Zambuto, but I thought you were putting your Junkie ways behind you! :rainbow:

What you should do is get a 60" Lockwood in a Horizon structure and put that baby in an observatory - viewing with that should cure you of all this buying and selling. It would be the ultimate fix for the ultimate junkie :cool:

#12 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

Poor Jim, You had to settle for a Stevens mirror. Sadly, I had one of those dogs he made for me for a 12.5" f/5 Portaball structure that had been cannabalized during the timeframe you mentioned. I was only able to run it up to 102x/inch of aperture without image breakdown one night here in North Florida on an equatorial platform. That old dog could hunt! It was the highest mag per inch that I have ever gotten out of any Newtonian mirror and Saturn's rings almost cut my eyes before my opthamologist did these past few weeks :winky:

Alan, I have scoured on the Internet for an astrojunkie treatment center and have come up snake-eyes. I would imagine that a 60" Lockwood/Horizon would cure most of what ails me. Unfortunately, the Parallax scope was on my radar before I "changed" my ways? In fact, the original owner said that we had conversed about the scope and I had mentioned that I almost bought it a month before he did. I had forgotten that tidbit. I did make a very atypical decision to start selling a scope for any scope I acquire from here on out. Sheesh, I have been blessed with the opportunity to be the steward of so many fine scopes over the past 11 years. One of the things that I know you know first hand with your new quartz ZOC mirror is that Zambuto mirrors have a very special level of performance that has been significantly additive to our spiritual/quasi-scientific/entertainment adventures in astronomy. There are only a rarified few opticians that I think can hang with Carl and for the amount of mirrors he has produced professionally, I don't think he has a peer. Bob

#13 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Here is the scope that contains my very first Zambuto - awaiting good weather in northern Arizona for First Light.

Attached Files

#14 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Jeff, That is a beautiful telescope!!! I would sure love to live nearby to witness first light. Man, that is a really loaded, somewhat minimalist scope. Talk about your 21st century time machine. Please do give us an extensive write-up on your first light experience along with a ton of pictures describing how you built that beauty. Bob

#15 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Wow. Nice job Jeff. Can you give some vital stats? Weight? Mirror size?

Cheers,

#16 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

Poor Jim, You had to settle for a Stevens mirror. Sadly, I had one of those dogs he made for me for a 12.5" f/5 Portaball structure that had been cannabalized during the timeframe you mentioned. I was only able to run it up to 102x/inch of aperture without image breakdown one night here in North Florida on an equatorial platform. That old dog could hunt! It was the highest mag per inch that I have ever gotten out of any Newtonian mirror and Saturn's rings almost cut my eyes before my opthamologist did these past few weeks :winky:

Bob

Yeah, well I like dogs and Ed made me a good one. In my *BLEEP* skies which are usually located under the jet stream I've only had few nights with really good seeing when I could go over 500x. I'd like to get down and observe at Chiefland sometime to experience some of those steady skies you are blessed with.

Cheers,

#17 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, West Australia

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

That looks first class Jeff and up to your usual high standard. :bow:

#18 Damo636

Damo636

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Co Fermanagh, Northern Ireland

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:50 AM

Beautiful scope Jeff!!

#19 starman345

starman345

Wait, I'm Thinking

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

Scope Looks great Jeff!

#20 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Thanks Bob. I'm still debating on whether or not to do a finder scope. The big question is how much to trust ServoCAT. My first time with it you see. The structure is ling enough that I can sight down the length close enough to get my first two guide stars.

#21 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Cheers,

I can dig out all the weights and distances Monday or Tuesday (trying to get out the door to the airport as I type!), but here are the component basics:

- 16" f/7 Zambuto primary;
- Aurora Precision cell;
- Moonlight connectors, tubes to be foam-filled (pending warmer weather and focus testing);
- Wood construction is balsa honeycomb with 1/16" aircraft grade Finnish Birch skin;
- ServoCAT drive system;
- Moonlight focuser with filter slide. The slide resides outside of the flockboard light shield so as not to add obstruction to the light path (easy to do with a long skinny light cone); and
- Protostar 2.6" quartz diagonal and 4 vane spider.

The scope was originally going to be a 12.5" f/9 to replace a 12.5" f/6. In talking with Carl Zambuto he suggested given the money involved, I really should move up in aperture too. I always felt that galaxies was the one type of target I really needed more of, and going to 16" would give me just the right bump.

#22 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Beautiful scope--a planet killer and galaxy killer all in one.

#23 The Planetman

The Planetman

Viking 1

• Loc: Western KY

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

I have a Galaxy (Jerry Wilkinson) 18" f/5.5 - 99.8" FL. Absolutely stunning images.....
This 18" that Carl is offering would make someone an absolutely killer scope!
I love the image scale. Globular clusters are mind blowing!!
Planetary? You just have to see it to believe it.....

Attached Files

#24 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Soyuz

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

I have a Galaxy (Jerry Wilkinson) 18" f/5.5 - 99.8" FL. Absolutely stunning images.....
This 18" that Carl is offering would make someone an absolutely killer scope!
I love the image scale. Globular clusters are mind blowing!!
Planetary? You just have to see it to believe it.....

I would love to have that Dob for high power planet work.

Chas

#25 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Cheers,

Thanks. Life has been complicated lately and it took a while to pull the numbers together. Looking back at the original plans, I hit my numbers reasonably well. Attached is a .jpg with most of the vitals.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics