Photo

Why is the Sky Atlas 2000.0 Deluxe so expensive?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bluedandelion

bluedandelion

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:03 AM

Here are some prices for Sky Atlas 2000.0 Deluxe

Are these prices real? Any idea what's going on here? Is it some automatic pricing software gone crazy or is this book out of print and going rare?

Thanks.
Ajay

#2 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:28 AM

Maybe it's due to bots like you say, and also perhaps partly due to its currently being out of stock here until the 27th? :scratchhead: ->
http://www.shopatsky...ted/sky-atlases
I would just order it direct for the 60$ and wait a bit for it, personally! :p

#3 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

it is a very good atlas-it is worth it (at least the $60 price)

edj

#4 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:45 AM

Pretty bizarre, considering that we sell the most expensive version (Deluxe Laminated) for $119.95. And anybody who gets them ultimately has to get them from us.

Tony Flanders
Associate Editor, Sky & Telescope

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

Lots of books like this on Amazon. When it happens, pass 'em by. In any event, just buy it from Sky and Telescope and rock on. Whose coffers would you rather fill? ;)

#6 bluedandelion

bluedandelion

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

Lots of books like this on Amazon. When it happens, pass 'em by. In any event, just buy it from Sky and Telescope and rock on. Whose coffers would you rather fill? ;)

Excellent point. In any case these books are being sold by third parties. Amazon gets a cut of course.

Ajay

#7 bluedandelion

bluedandelion

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

"The dung beetles don't care which direction they're going in; they just need to get away from the bun fight at the poo pile,"

You'd be surprised at what Dung Beetles are capable of. They can navigate by the light of the Milky Way. They sense the polarizaton of the light and use that like bees. Of course until now humans did not know that any insect could navigate by the light of stars other than our Sun.

See this article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21150721

Ajay

#8 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

Keep your eye on Astromart as they come up used at a reasonable price from time to time. I have purchased two over the last year one for me and one for a friend.

#9 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

"The dung beetles don't care which direction they're going in; they just need to get away from the bun fight at the poo pile,"

You'd be surprised at what Dung Beetles are capable of. They can navigate by the light of the Milky Way. They sense the polarizaton of the light and use that like bees. Of course until now humans did not know that any insect could navigate by the light of stars other than our Sun.

See this article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21150721

Ajay

Thank you Ajay, isn't that neat! It is why I included that as a signature, as I am very enamored by Mr. Marcus Byrne's research with these amazing little critters (And they also do so much to help fertilize and reduce vectors for disease in certain areas, perhaps even more so even than most of their other insect peers do, pretty awesome, huh? We're still learning.. there is just so much we don't know to appreciate yet.. life is bewildering!)

#10 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

I recommend the laminated version for field use.

#11 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Nice, but not necessary. My deluxe and even my desk have endured countless dew baths without harm. More importantly it's hard to write on a laminated. Gotta plot all them little comets!

#12 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:41 AM

Bingo, bingo, and bingo!

Whatever the S&T price is - that's the actual real new price. Don't screw around looking for a few bucks off somewhere - buy from the source, and help ensure that source will be around for the next product!

If it's any consolation, the deluxe version 1st edition wasn't all that much less expensive when I bought it in the 90's. It's a beautiful, perfectly-executed star atlas. It's not cheap.

#13 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

I recommend the laminated version for field use.

I bought mine from S&T (about 1987 or so?) and it cost about the same price as today. I got the deluxe version, spiral bound, but not laminated. At the time I was doing some work at a grade school and they had a large heat laminator. They said if I bought my own roll of laminating film I could use the machine to laminate my charts, etc., so I bought a roll and had a lot of fun fixing up those charts. I'm still using this same copy today and it looks good as new! :grin:
---Maya

#14 Photobud

Photobud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Is the "Sky Atlas 2000.0 Deluxe Unlaminated" (item available to ship on 2/27/2013) the same edition as the 1998, 2nd edition that I currently have? Or is it a new edition, and if so, how was it changed?

Pretty bizarre, considering that we sell the most expensive version (Deluxe Laminated) for $119.95. And anybody who gets them ultimately has to get them from us.

Tony Flanders
Associate Editor, Sky & Telescope

#15 bluedandelion

bluedandelion

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

Honestly, I was actually looking to see how to price it so I could put mine up for sale. I am an imager and haven't used mine at all in three years - Cartes du Ciel with EQMOD is all I use to acquire objects for imaging.

Ajay

#16 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Is the "Sky Atlas 2000.0 Deluxe Unlaminated" (item available to ship on 2/27/2013) the same edition as the 1998, 2nd edition that I currently have? Or is it a new edition, and if so, how was it changed?

There might be tiny error corrections. But basically there have only been two editions: the original by Wil Tirion and the second edition by Wil Tirion and Roger Sinnott.

#17 Photobud

Photobud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Thanks, Tony. Appreciate the response!

There might be tiny error corrections. But basically there have only been two editions: the original by Wil Tirion and the second edition by Wil Tirion and Roger Sinnott.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics