Observatories-the down side

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:27 AM

I guess this happens to all-with time.

I built my observatory about 10 years ago in my yard (really pasture) on small acreage near a small city. It was great
-my man cave
-a place to store my toys
-a few minutes from house to observing
but since then
-the area's population has doubled
-I have gone from rural to in city
-an interstate highway was build 1/2 mile to the south
-the electric company "asked" for easement on the north side
-the sewer company "asked" for easement on the south side
-naked eye magitude has decreased by one mag-at least
-now a ball park is being build on the land just beyond the power line

I have no regrets to building, but..........................observatories are temporary
my interest have gone from DSOs to Solar System

sadly
edj

#2 rimcrazy

rimcrazy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Overgaard, AZ

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:00 AM

Pick up a Lunt or Coronado and have fun in the sun!

#3 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

The fir trees have gotten much taller in the last 15 yrars or so.....effectively blocking my entire Eastern sky!! :bawling:

#4 Mirzam

Mirzam

Skylab

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

Look into live-view cameras. You will be amazed at what is visible from a light polluted setting.

JimC

#5 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

rimcrazy-got one

RobertED-trees far enough away that not a problem yet

Mirzam-I am not sure that I want to know what occurs between observatory and the ball field

edj

#6 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

This is exactly why I searched for a house that had little vacant land in the area. No schools or playground parks nearby. A pair of small strip malls a 1/4 mikle away. When you buy near undeveloped land you run the risk of more people and lights. :smirk: Mike

#7 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

Oddly enough things have become better rather than worse in my neighborhood. All of the street lights have been changed out so the only focus downward, most folks have rid them selves of those awful monster beehive security lights. The main street 1/4 mile away is changing out it's street lights as well. Woodlawn Lake has new lighting on the walking paths and the tennis court and basketball court lights shut down at 11:00 p.m., they really aren't bad even when they're on because the park has huge trees that block them. The park puts on a fireworks show a few times a year and I've got the best views from the Obs.

#8 Lorence

Lorence

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

I have no regrets to building, but..........................observatories are temporary

sadly
edj

Take a look at the Night Skies Network and see what others are seeing with their video cameras.

http://www.nightskiesnetwork.com/

The camera of choice on the network is the Mallincam Xtreme. With one of those cameras you will more objects in the now light polluted site than you did when the site had dark skies.

#9 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Go narrowband for DSO and light pollution I imagine doesn't effect planets as badly since the SNR is so high. I live on the outskirts of a medium city and I was able to capture some wonderful images. Is it 'dark sky' awesome? No, but you just have to adapt :).

#10 WStewart

WStewart

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Try to look at the bright side (no pun intended)...with an observatory you at least have some protection against those encroaching lights.

#11 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: AR

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

I guess this happens to all-with time.

I built my observatory about 10 years ago in my yard (really pasture) on small acreage near a small city. It was great
-my man caver
-a place to store my toys
-a few minutes from house to observing
but since then
-the area's population has doubled
-I have gone from rural to in city
-an interstate highway was build 1/2 mile to the south
-the electric company "asked" for easement on the north side
-the sewer company "asked" for easement on the south side
-naked eye magitude has decreased by one mag-at least
-now a ball park is being build on the land just beyond the power line

sadly
edj

Ed,
You are welcome to go out and use my dark sky site roll off observatory. No development anywhere close since I bought the place nearly seven years ago.

#12 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:22 AM

thank you John,
have planned to for a long time
but just never got around to it

edj

#13 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

Actually there is a downside. Everyone and his dog wants too come over and mooch! :help: Mike

#14 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: AR

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Actually, my dark site observatory is SO remote that very few have visited when repeatedly invited. There is a warm room and electric power. The obs doesn't have a scope in it unless I am there, but tables, chairs, etc are there.

#15 Mary B

Mary B

Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Feeling guilty on clear nights for not going out there when I don't feel good...

#16 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Actually, my dark site observatory is SO remote that very few have visited when repeatedly invited.

:bigblush: :bigblush:

#17 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

When I built I could see M31 visually no problem, now I think I can only on the best nights. Gone from being on the edge of green/yellow, to yellow/orange. However I still can see the Milkyway overhead and to the south. Have no regrets building it, just wish I could teleport it to John's place :)

John, ever mind people camping for a few days during new mooon?

Dean

Wanted to add, one reason to go with a concrete pad was so that future use could be a garden/storage shed of some kind when we eventually move, or it gets too light. I framed in a double door on the end so it would fit mowers or garden tractors. Would just have to bolt down the roof, remove the warm room wall and it becomes a 12 x 18 room.

#18 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

I'm very fortunate that there is no down side to my observatory. I only have one year-around neighbor. My skies are as dark as when I first started observing, averaging 21.5 SQM.

The upside of mine, is viewing almost instantly, whenever I want. :)

#19 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:39 AM

Look into live-view cameras. You will be amazed at what is visible from a light polluted setting. JimC

Took that route decades ago, via brief exposure SX CCD cams [link below], and never looked back - I need to here with 8M neighbours in 'white zone' London - there's virtually nothing in the Sloan DeepSky Survey that's not within range of my cam in a few seconds :grin:

#20 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Viking 1

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

I enjoy my observatory a lot so I have to make sure that I first take care of responsibilities and spend adequate time with my family before it's "play time" :)

#21 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Enfield, NS Canada

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

There is a member who has done tests with urban imaging from a red zone and the results he was getting were nothing short of amazing! just the other night, near full moon he shot the Eskimo nebula with the moon only 10d away and the detail he was able to get from it was just amazing.

You can image just fine from a red zone, trick is to keep the exposures short and shoot many of them to reach the same SNR as a longer exposure. The more SNR you get the more you can stretch in post processing.

I use a ClipIn CLS filter all of the time but narrowband would be nice, its on my radar someday.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics