• Loc: Parsippany, NJ

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

Great job. Lots of nice details.

#27 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

Thanks for all of the nice comments. Matty - biggest thing I worry about is not so much going through security but getting to the plane all of the overhead bins are full and they make you check it at the gate. That would not be good. This has happened to me on a couple of recent business trips. However, those are on heavy business traveler routes.. chances are that on a vacation flight with primarily family travelers I'd be able to get on earlier with my "zone 1" boarding I get. Hard to know for sure though and that's the dilemma. I'd have to rely on the kindness of strangers in that situation with someone else willing to give up their overhead space. I just saw in the most recent S&T issue that Gary Seronik redesigned his scope to be checked for the same reason. If I check it, I'd carry on the mirror box and put the rest in a hard sides suitcase with padding.

#28 meade4ever

meade4ever

Viking 1

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

Very well made, a really beautiful telescope

#29 JohnMurphyRN

JohnMurphyRN

Mariner 2

• Loc: Near St Louis

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Very nice, Tim! That scope is a real work of art. :applause:

That is exactly what I was going to say. A work of art!

#30 David Castillo

David Castillo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

That's a fine piece of workmanship, Tim. I definitely want to know how it travels- I'd like to see the look of the airport security screeners faces when they scan it. I got pulled aside for having a pair of giant binocs as a carry-on. It turned out to be like a kindergarten a show and tell amongst the screeners. Hope they don't ask you to disassemble everything-they tried to get me to take apart my binocs.
----
Dave

#31 Ed D

Ed D

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

That is an absolutely gorgeous work of art. Enjoy it!!!

Ed D

#32 careysub

careysub

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

...I just saw in the most recent S&T issue that Gary Seronik redesigned his scope to be checked for the same reason. If I check it, I'd carry on the mirror box and put the rest in a hard sides suitcase with padding.

With changes in the air travel environment (increasingly severe restrictions on carry-ons, and stiff "fees" for all sorts of things) it seems that the concept of a "travel dob" being one that cleverly folds into itself for carry-on luggage has seen its day (especially for really long haul flights).

Like Seronik demonstrates, a light weight-optimized scope (to get under weight penalties) that packs into a standard "62 inch" hard-case suitcase (length+width+thickness = 62 inches) with most of your observing gear seems like the ticket. A typical hard case weighs 11 lb and the weight limit on most airlines is 50 lb before hefty fees are imposed leaving 39 lb for everything.

#33 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:42 AM

Once, BEFORE 9-11 I had to dissassemble an 80mm flourite scope on an airline trip to make sure it was not a gun. :(

#34 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

a light weight-optimized scope (to get under weight penalties) that packs into a standard "62 inch" hard-case suitcase (length+width+thickness = 62 inches) with most of your observing gear seems like the ticket.

I shudder to think that anyone's telescope might get handled the way my golf clubs were last time I went through the airport. There were "Inspected by TSA" stickers all over it and *everything* in the bag was manhandled.

#35 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

Yep, there are risks either way (checked or carry on). Your comments make me think that I'm better off carrying it on. That's what I designed it for anyway. I really enjoyed building it and trying to make it look good but truth is that you're better off designing an ugly little tank for an airline travel scope. I'm taking it with me to Arizona in April so we'll see. Chances are we'll make it just fine.

I shudder to think that anyone's telescope might get handled the way my golf clubs were last time I went through the airport. There were "Inspected by TSA" stickers all over it and *everything* in the bag was manhandled.

#36 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdome

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Very nice, Tim. Kudos to you! :bow:

#37 ed_turco

ed_turco

Apollo

• Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Very nice workmanship. The wood looks beautiful!

Ed

#38 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

thanks everyone!

Very nice workmanship. The wood looks beautiful!

Ed

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics