Photo

observers chair

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: In the glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

I understand that there are some observing chair users amongst us. I am curious to know if any of you use your tripod in the min. height position while observing from a chair? It seems logical to do so as I would assume that vibration could also be minimized in that position.

#2 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

My 6SE tripod is always at it's shortest height for better stability. The Stardust chair is at around 20"(crossbar at hinge) most of the time.

#3 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

My tripod has about 1/3 of the lower leg length sticking out. Not at it's minimum, but more stable than full height.

-Dan

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

I always add about 5" extension to the legs. Too short the other way. I'm 5' 10.5" .

Pete

#5 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:09 AM

5 inches of extension used. Gives me comfort up to 75 / 80deg or so with minimum vibration.

Regards. Peter.

#6 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:44 AM

After last night's First Seeing with my scope and the pain in my back, I am going to order the Stardust chair. I like the ladder setup better then friction. I like something solid so if I move some or get up and then sit down, I am not going to worry about hitting the ground.

#7 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

Adjustable stools are an alterative. One with 8inch or more travel is ideal.

Here's mine.

Regards. Peter.

Attached Files

#8 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

Peter - That is pretty cool. I wonder if a drafting chair would work. It is very adjustable height wise.

#9 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

Here's the one I use:

http://www.bhphotovi...sing_Stool_2...

Reasonably priced, pneumatic adjuster, and 10" of adjustment range. I don't know about a drafting chair, but most pneumatic office chairs and stools only adjust about 3-4" which is not enough.

I also have a stool that is similar to a stardust:
http://store.smartas...martseatii.html

but I find that I like the stool better. It's much quicker to adjust and more comfortable.

-Dan

#10 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

I am trying to get it down to a comfortable height to be used with a wooden folding chair I have on hand. After looking at it in this configuration in my living room, I am worried that it will be top heavy due to the small foot print. Since the beginning, I had the legs out about 5" also, because it just looked right that way. Seemed like the proper foot print for it's weight and height. Maybe a Stardust or something like it is in order. I would like the stability of a stool better but being able to collapse it flat for storage is a huge plus.

#11 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

Dan The levered height adjustment is a real "nice to have". Are the casters stable on grass? Are the materials holding up to the outdoor elements?

#12 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:48 AM

Hi Sonny,

I realise that my stool is different to Dan's and that it is unavailable to you, but for what it's worth, mine moves well on grass as long as you ease your weigh off a little. (And the ground isn't wet through) It is also very stable when at rest.

I used mine outdoors for over a year prior to buying the observatory and the stool suffered no ill effects.

The lever adjustment is a joy to use.

Regards. Peter.

#13 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

Dan The levered height adjustment is a real "nice to have". Are the casters stable on grass? Are the materials holding up to the outdoor elements?

This particular model has flat plastic pads for feet, not casters. So it works well on the grass or any other surface. It's holding up very well, but I don't store it outdoors so it doesn't really have to hold up to the elements.

-Dan

#14 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

For under ten bucks you could make yourself a 3 position LYBAR chair...
(LIFT YOUR BUTT AND ROTATE) I use a StarDust in my observatory but I use the Lybar wen observing the old fashioned way from the lawn on nice summer evenings..CHEAP STURDY and it just plain works...

Can't ask for anything more then that...

However not many people who see it will ever figure out its a chair..LOL

Bob G.

#15 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

I saw the Lybar chair when I was researching my options. I would rename that the HDBS seat. (Heavy Duty Book Shelf) :rofl5:
I am probably going to get a Starbound or SmartSeat. I need something that folds up for storage and I would definitely appreciate the convenience of one handed adjustability.

#16 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

The Stardust chair folds completely flat when you remove the seat...and it sure did not take me long to master the one handed flip of the wrist adjustment method...

At one time owned a Starbound chair ....and never again will I ever own ANY chair that uses friction to hold it in place...mine let me down HARD one time to many...

Bob G.

#17 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Bob I have read some reviews that stated the very same thing. I also saw some folks said that they have never had an issue. Does it happen when you fidget a little. I would have a problem with that. I am one of those people that moves around a little in a chair.

#18 WaterMaster

WaterMaster

Moat Keeper

• Administrators
  • Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

I'm a large guy, and was afraid of friction chairs dumping me. I built my own chair and used a design that, while not infinitely adjustable, it does adjust nicely at about 1.5" per step.

Attached Files

#19 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

While that is certainly a beautiful piece of outdoor furniture, I do not have the patience to work with wood. Im more of a store bought metal head. :rockon:

At under 200 bucks it is just to easy to order one and wait for the big truck.

Sonny

#20 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

While that is certainly a beautiful piece of outdoor furniture, I do not have the patience to work with wood. Im more of a store bought metal head. :rockon:

At under 200 bucks it is just to easy to order one and wait for the big truck.

Sonny

I know the feeling. I am not very good with wood working. I always end up measuring twice and cutting like 3 or 4 times. :p That is why I ordered the Cpro-600 from Amazon. Couldn't beat the price and it holds 400lbs. Perfect for my fat butt.. :lol:

http://www.amazon.co...p/B0052PJF5E...

#21 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

Sonny....

Yes I do wiggle when seated in ANY CHAIR for any length of time and I also am too darn lazy to get off the chair and go get an eyepiece So I tend to stretch a little too far to reach the case .. The friction lock chairs simply loose their hold when you keep shifting you weight around..

BOB G.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics