promo codes?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

• Loc: Romeoville IL

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

Does anyone every have any luck with astro related promo codes anywhere?

It seems like every promo code at Telescopes.com isn't valid for telescope equipment. Even filling out a review on telescope equipment gives you a promo codes that doesn't work on astro equipment.

I like Agenaastro but the only "promo code" I can find there is free shipping which you get anyway.

Astronomics does typically give the cloudynight discount and free shipping over $100, but they don't have what I want in stock right now, and they haven't answered my question as to when it will be in stock. I hope to double down on this bad weather and get my Advanced VX mount in during the clouds instead of causing more.

I don't see any coupon codes for Highpoint scientific or optcorp. Not a huge deal but there's something nice about saving 10 or 20 bucks on a 800 purchase.

Has anyone had any luck talking a sales rep down a bit over the phone or do I need to buy something 10x the price of a VX mount before someone does that?

Thanks,
Jim

#2 Ebyl

Ebyl

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

Does telescopes.com send a coupon as part of their packaging if you buy something for them? If so, you might be able to make a small order and then use the coupon on a larger order. Someone else might be able to comment on that, if it's even possible.

#3 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:00 AM

I personally have NEVER got a promo code at telescopes.com to work on any type of telescope or telescope related equipment. If I wanted to buy some outdoor furniture from heyneedle it might be another story. Maybe someone else has had luck, but I haven't.

Jim

#4 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

Agena Astro sent me a promo code for being a first time customer. $10 off a purchase of $90 or more. Used it on a $90 order to maximize my savings lol.

I also ordered an eyepiece from Agena off of Amazon, and got another one! Guess they didn't realize it was me again lol. Speaking of, Agena's prices are higher on Amazon than they are off their website, understandable but beware. Also, if you pay $10 for expedited shipping you end up with the same shipping you get for free on their website. All in all I spent an extra $20 than had I just ordered from them directly. Not a big deal because I had a ton of Amazon gift card money to use, but buyer beware.

#5 John Kuraoka

John Kuraoka

Ranger 4

• Loc: Sunny San Diego, CA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

As a member of Cloudy Nights, you get a club discount at OPT. You have to "buy" the OPT Rewards membership through the billing page - look for the free membership for astronomy club members. It gives about 10%, even on used gear, which is nice. (And, as a San Diego resident I like supporting a local bricks-and-mortar retailer, plus we neeeed the local tax revenue!) The discount does not show up on the payment page when you buy something, but you enter your OPT Rewards number or log in and the discounted price will show up on the packing invoice (and your charge card).

#6 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Thanks John, didn't know opt did that.

Jim

#7 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

I also ordered an eyepiece from Agena off of Amazon, and got another one! Guess they didn't realize it was me again lol. Speaking of, Agena's prices are higher on Amazon than they are off their website, understandable but beware

Same thing happened to me. I used Amazon that one time instead of the Agena site because I had Amazon gift cards I needed to use. The discount code pretty much made up the for the price difference. :)

#8 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Point Grey gave me a promo code at last year's NEIAC, good for 50% off any of their cameras. Never used it though, and it's expired now...

Grant

#9 The Mighty Mo

The Mighty Mo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South of North, North of South, Somewhere on the 3rd Rock

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:38 PM

I haven't had a Telescopes.com promo code that worked on astronomy gear since they changed to Hayneedle.com from whichever company they were before, which was shortly after the economy went south. I suspect they aren't making enough profit on the sale of astronomy gear, so they can't justify the additional coupons beyond their advertised sales.

#10 Fox78

Fox78

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:45 AM

I was thinking of buying some gear from Telescopes.com around Christmas time. I had the same problem with discount codes not working on any of the items I was interested in. Finally I called and spoke to a sales person. They gave me some discount codes like free 2-day shipping, but they would only work through the Hayneedle.com site. Seems silly that you can get the same items through both sites, yet one site almost never accepts discount codes!

#11 ManicSponge

ManicSponge

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wenatchee, Wa.

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

Telescopes.com credited me back money after the price of the Z-12 I had purchased went down, just a week later. The lady on the phone called it an adjustment. I call it good customer service!
Regards, Kyle

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics