• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:15 AM

After nearly 4 months of clouds, snow, rain, more snow etc....it finally cleared out beautifully, the atmosphere wasnt really stable though, as Jupiter would one minute be in focus, then ghosts would bubble up and roil abit then settle briefly, but I wasnt gonna complain, Im severely photon deprived.

Set out the C102 just before nightfall, and waited , viewing from my stoop means waiting for the onjects to move a lot west to get away from the flood light in my front yard.
first light in the C102 for the new ES 24 82* EP, Was unspectacular, the stars were never pin points, atmosphere Im sure, the Orion Nebula was expansive, the wings filled the entire fov edge to edge, but the trap was never 4 sharp stars, more like slightly spikey.Interestingly the Knight owl 20mm was slightly better on the trap, though the image wasnt as sharp, though dern close.
M41 in Canis major was beautiful, and despite the atmosphere the ES 24 was rocking this cluster.
http://search.yahoo....fr=yfp-t-701...

Taurus was just clearing the trees, so a shot at the Crab, too much light pollution, nothing,. But the Hyades was very in my 10x50 binos.Over to the Pleiades the ES despite its huge fov couldnt het the whole thing in one fov, so I swapped out my 42mm GSO superview, one of my old but venrable eps, it framed the entire cluster wonderfully, and hey the stars are pin point, awesome.
http://search.yahoo....=X1MDMjc2NjY...

Over to cassiopeia and the double cluster, still using the 42mm superview, the double cluster was awesome, moving up to the 24mm ES and man oh man, the stars filled the fov, gorgeous, but a thin haze was starting to settle in, so I quickly swung the scope down to the Andromeda galaxy, and after a bit of searching swept it up, the haze was definately taking its toll, neither of the sattelites were seen.
http://search.yahoo....ssiopiea sta...

I closed it down around midnight was the cold was really getting to me, the haze was getting the better of the views.....but after months of no photons it was just great to get back out there.
Hope you all have a clear night.

#2 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:02 AM

Andy,

Congrats on getting some time in. I also have had 4 months of the louds and snow. I hate it as winter is one of my favorite seasons to observe.

#3 mountain monk

mountain monk

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Grand Teton National Park

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

Great night here---finally!

Dark skies.

Jack

#4 fnowat

fnowat

Explorer 1

• Loc: N.E. Illinois (Chicago suburbs)

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

Congratulations!

I also got out to our club's local darksite near Litchfield, OH. The Mrs and I (along with some other club members) did venture out into the night's chill of somewhere below 30F. I had intended on my continued search of the Eskimo/Clown nebula near Gemini...but it turned into a personal mini-Messier marathon. Caught 22 Messier objects in about 2 hours with the push-to 12" Dob. On the 40 minute drive back home I think I exclaimed to my wife, "that was a good night..." maybe 4 or 5 times. :jump:

Previous to that... maybe 19 January was the last night of viewing.

GOOD OL' OHIO SKIES!! We choose to live here, so we get what we have decided on...

#5 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

GOOD OL' OHIO SKIES!! We choose to live here, so we get what we have decided on...

On the up side our equipment last forever :roflmao:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics