• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 drbruce1

drbruce1

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: AZ

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

I am interested in controlling a C-14 by my IPAD. Does anyone have experience doing this? I have look at Sky Safari and Starry Nights software.

#2 Scuba-Matt

Scuba-Matt

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Anglia England

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Celestron has this Product not sure if it's on sale yet it's called SkyQ Link WiFi it's compatable with nexremote software, iPhone and iPad I don't know what else is out there hope this helps... :jump:

#3 Bigstar

Bigstar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

I have used sky safarai for about 2 years to control my 8" meade. Works great and you can purchase different levels of the program. Depending how involved you are. Easy to set up and use. Can control with wifi or hardwired. I control the meade with the hardwire. Just updated my comets so i can track ison.

#4 Sorny

Sorny

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern MN

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

I run my CPC1100 with my iPad via SkySafari+ and a SkyWire adapter. You do the typical alignment with your hand controller, plug the skywire (or skyfi) into the hand controller, and after that, run the mount with your iPad.

Very cool, though I wish it were easier to do a precise go-to for those tricky objects (I just tell it to slew to a bright star, center the star, and then sync it in the app).

#5 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

i have the skyq celestron adapter and havnt even used it yet. its controlled by a very basic planetarium softwre thar pales very considerably in comparison to sky safari. maybe before next winter i myself plan to get the wireless modules that works with skysafari. :-) for what ts worth.. it only works wih ios nothing for android.

#6 Oscar56

Oscar56

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Summerland, BC

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

I have used sky safarai for about 2 years to control my 8" meade. Works great and you can purchase different levels of the program.

Can you use iPad and Sky Safari in "manual mode"? By that I mean attach the iPad or iPhone to your non motorized unit. Select the gyro function on Sky Safari, then adjust your unit until the iPad says you are pointing at your target?

#7 Scuba-Matt

Scuba-Matt

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Anglia England

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

That seems very narrow minded to only make it iOS compatable when the android market is already starting to overtake the apple one.. I hadn't looked to closely at this product and just thought it was a WiFi receiver for scope control :question:

#8 Tim D

Tim D

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Temecula, CA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

I use SkySafari and the Skywire (Iphone 4s) for controlling my XT10g. For newer (Ipad mini/Iphone 5) the Skywire wont work due to the Lighting plug, I believe they are coming out with a new wire or you can try a adapter. For the Skywire, you can only use the Skysafari app- no other app will work with the wire due to Apple's rules. But I believe SKYFI (wireless) will work with other apps. Check the Southern Sky website and FAQ section.
Tim

#9 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Yes agreed. i use an ipad and android devices. i like using a small relatively affordable android tablet outside with skysafari for my charts. regarding the app that works with the celestron skyq, And after using skysafari I just don't really care to use it.. I dont really use goto.. but Otoh in the spring it might be the only thing that gets my wife out to take a look so will hold on to it.

#10 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

• Loc: SE USA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Can you use iPad and Sky Safari in "manual mode"? By that I mean attach the iPad or iPhone to your non motorized unit. Select the gyro function on Sky Safari, then adjust your unit until the iPad says you are pointing at your target?

You can. I normally use it with my iPhone4 attached to binoculars on a tripod or parallelogram mount via the Orion smartphone holder. Initial testing indicates that the gyro is accurate to about 3 degrees on this device.

What you do is locate a known object (I've been using Jupiter) and put it in the center of the scope/binocular FOV. In the app, make sure compass and gyro mode are *unselected*. Then, select the object in the app and select "center" in SkySafari. That moves the object to the center of the app so that it is now calibrated to where your optics are pointing. Finally, select "gyro" in SkySafari. From then on, the app will track your movements relative to this position, using the gyro only (no compass). It works well, but as mentioned, is not perfectly accurate.

Another nice thing about SkySafari is that you can turn on custom telrad circles that you can program to match the FOV of your binocular or favorite eyepieces. Very handy. I use the $15 "plus" version. It is pretty resource-hungry. First app to make me wish I had a newer device...

#11 Oscar56

Oscar56

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Summerland, BC

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Another nice thing about SkySafari is that you can turn on custom telrad circles that you can program to match the FOV of your binocular or favorite eyepieces. Very handy. I use the $15 "plus" version. It is pretty resource-hungry. First app to make me wish I had a newer device...

Thanks for the tip on FOV. I will try that tonight.

#12 dr.who

dr.who

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Sorry but... Anything like Astrotortilla for the iPad?

#13 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

No astrotortilla for the ipad :) They do have a 'sync' option that allows you to slew to a nearby bright object, 'sync' to it, and then proceed onto a fainter object in the vicinity. The concept being if it knows precisely where a known object is in the vicinity it can correct for some of the errors in your pointing model.

Works pretty good.

#14 Lancem

Lancem

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

I use SkySafari Plus with the SkyWire to control my CPC 1100 with my iPad. I love it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics