• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

I have some friends who have a 6 inch reflector, it has been standing open end up for some time, completely covered in dust ,dirt, and what have you.
I rinsed it in the sink with 2 drops of dawn and rinsed with distilled water, there is a purpelish haze that smear when touched, since they both smoke, my guess would be nicotine.
Is there a way to remove this film???

#2 nevy

nevy

Viking 1

• Loc: UK

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Rub it with nicorett patches.

#3 nevy

nevy

Viking 1

• Loc: UK

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Lol , only joking , have you tried isopropyl ?

#4 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

I have a TAL2 that had the same problems...been in a house of smokers and was disgusting.

I soaked the mirror for ages in a soft soap solution but finally had to resort to putting a few deops of washing liquid on ig and gently , very gently, wiping the mirror with soap softened hands. It worked ok. The mirror. Ame up fresh with no scratches.

#5 FlorinAndrei

FlorinAndrei

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

Try ethyl alcohol. 90% concentration or higher would be good. Isopropyl should be similar.

If that does nothing, then acetone.

Pour solvent on it, brush it gently with cotton balls, not much pressure. Let the solvent evaporate, then rinse it with distilled water again, and let it sit until it's dry. If there are still some water spots from the solvent, then go ahead and redo the full cleaning with detergent and water, then rinse with distilled water.

If that doesn't do it, I guess the surface has been chemically attacked, and you may want to re-coat it. For a 6" coating is pretty cheap, there are many places where you could do it.

#6 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

Oh that.

I used to smoke so Im familiar with the nicotine film on glass.

Soap and water.

Acetone is a beautiful thing to use too. I'd go with a soapy water solution and distiller water rinse followed by an acetone rinse. That or a 90% isopropyl alcohol rinse.

Pete

#7 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

at my disposal currently:

70 percent Isopropyl, Methanol, zeiss lens cleaning wioes, and of course water with one drop of dawn, follwed by distilled water.

#8 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

I'd use more DAWN - just rinse thoroughly.

Pete

#9 KerryR

KerryR

Gemini

• Loc: SW Michigan

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

I've found the finger-contact method, as promoted in OWL's video, very functional for reducing/removing stubborn white haze from mirrors. If this doesn't work, a re-coat is probably in order. I'd be wary of the method if your local dust is high in silica.

#10 Kuulapaa

Kuulapaa

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

I doubt that nicotine theory. It's just tar..

#11 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Once the mirror is thoroughly rinsed of dust and debris, place the mirror horizontal and fill up the "bowl" with a soapy mixture of Dawn and water (not too much dawn, though) and rub the mirror with your fingers.
If you feel a piece of grit, stop! Rinse the mirror and repeat.
Look at the mirror as you clean it. You'll notice the places you used your fingers are WAY cleaner than the rest of the mirror.

The last time I cleaned my mirror, I saw some hazy spots I had missed.
Back under the water and a little more attention paid to those spots and voila, the mirror was WAY shinier.
A night under the stars Saturday night and it was like having a brand new mirror again. Less light scatter, brighter images.

I seem to build up that haze (my wife cooks a lot) pretty fast, so I clean the mirror about every 3-4 months. Keep an eye on the haze. A clean coating also doesn't dew up as much and definitely performs better.

I don't smoke, but I inherited art from someone who did. Ten years later I can still smell cigarette smoke on the paintings if I put my nose close.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics