• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 RolandosCY

RolandosCY

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Last night I had the chance to observe this area under SQM 21.10 skies with a darker southern horizon. IC434 and HH were visible with direct vision (albeit faint) with my 18", even at the low power of the 31mm Nagler. They were though totally transformed with H-Beta filters, getting that 3-D perspective, especially with my 19mm panoptic at 108x (full figure including snout fully visible, even to someone who had his first ever experience in deep sky).

The important part came when I looked though with NicosCY AT 152mm achromat. With 31mm Nagler and H-Beta I could get the whole complex (Alnitac, Flame, IC434, NGC 2023, and HH) visible. The Flame was definitely brighter than IC434, which was quite faint but still bright enough that the dark mass of the Horsehead could be discerned as a roundish blob in front of it. Increasing the magnification did make IC434 more easily visible (especially with Alnitac out of the field) and the HH could be more readily discerned. The view through the 6" refractor reminded me more of my first few succesful attempts at the HH with a 10" dob and a UHC filter.

H-Beta dcefinitely helps A LOT, but with sufficient aperture, IC434 and the HH can be seen whenever conditions allow, even with 3-6 inch refractors.

Has anyone ever spotted the IC434 / HH complex through binoculars? I suspect that it might be doable under pristine skies with 70mm or larger diameter glasses...

#27 RolandosCY

RolandosCY

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

Has anyone ever spotted the IC434 / HH complex through binoculars? I suspect that it might be doable under pristine skies with 70mm or larger diameter glasses...

I just found the answer to the above in my own favorites:

http://freescruz.com...ehead/B33-3.htm

#28 blb

blb

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

Has anyone ever spotted the IC434 / HH complex through binoculars? I suspect that it might be doable under pristine skies with 70mm or larger diameter glasses

Phil Harrington recounts the time that he saw the Horsehead in a pair of binoculars at the Winter Star Party in his Binocular Universe coloum here on CN's.
See here for what he had to say.
I have never seen it with binoculars, but I have never looked for it with filters like Phil did. I have seen the Flame Nebula, NGC 2024, with my 10x50 and my 9.5x66mm binoculars from a dark site though. Give it a try and let us know the results.

#29 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

I haven't seen IC434 or B33 with binos, but holding a filter in front of the eyepiece helps a lot. I did this with one side of my 15x70s when observing in the California Nebula at the Almost Heaven Star Party one time. In the unfiltered one it wasn't visible, in the filter one it was clearly visible and a fantastic view.

#30 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

Phillip Creed said he had a great view of the HH through 25x100s in my thread on the HH:

http://www.cloudynig...5671697/page...

#31 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

Zeldaboy,
I'm confused. You wrote that you've not seen IC434/B33 in binos, yet state a "fantastic" view when holding a filter behind an eyepiece of a 15X70.

#32 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

The fantastic view was of the california nebula. When I wrote that using a filter helps a lot with binos, it was a general statement, I should've split the two subjects into different sentences.

Let me rephrase what I wrote:

I haven't seen IC434 or B33 with binos but I have not tried with a filter yet. Holding a filter in front of the eyepiece helps a lot when observing faint nebula in binos. I did this with one side of my 15x70s when observing the California Nebula; the unfiltered view did not show it, but the filtered view was fantastic.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics