7 replies to this topic

#1 daveyfitz

daveyfitz

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

Hi all:

I've been doing a ton of research, done some posts, etc.

I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a new kit.

I used my 6" eq newt for several years, and have now donated the whole kit to my son.

I really enjoyed the 6", but I was always trying to push it past its limits. I want better views of planets and DSOs, especially nebulae and galaxies.

Here's my idea to move forward:

Orion XT12g (GOTO 12" F4.92)
I WANT tracking. I view a lot with family, and I'm tired of nudge, "quick look here", "I can't see it", nudge, etc etc.
The old eq newt had tracking that worked intermittently, and I was MUCH happier when it was working.

Thought about the eq platforms, would save a little dough, but extra complications, extra eyepiece height,
another couple of pieces to drag around and set up... think I wanna go with the tracking I'll get with the goto.

I enjoy hunting down my own objects, so I don't know how much use the actual "goto" will get.
But, if I'm having a hard time finding something, maybe I'll just key it in.

This is about the biggest scope I can drag around and set up solo. Thought about bigger truss units at same or less weight,
but I think the solid tube would retain collimation better, and I don't have to mess with trusses or covers.
Eyepieces:

The scope comes with a 28mm 56° EP. I'm guessing I won't be "wowed" by it.
So, since ES is having a sale, I thought I'd just bite the financial bullet and get a good starter set:
ES 24mm 82°
ES 14mm 100°
ES 8.8mm 82° (hopefully they have fixed the "flare" issue)
GSO 2" 2X barlow This would give me a magnification range of 54, 63, 107, 125, 170, 214, 341.

Other Stuff:

Astrosytems "Lightpipe" Sight tube/Cheshire
Celestron 2" UHC Filter
Celestron 2" OIII Filter
GSO Coma Corrector
So, that's my plan. I welcome any comments or advice.

#2 Gray

Gray

Viking 1

• Loc: Hixson, TN

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

Nice stuff there. I'm not sure the goto dob has a clutch for manually pushing it around though. I had the Intelliscope 12" and the optics were very good. The handbox needs a warmer in cold climate though. I don't think the flaring has been fixed on the ES 8.8mm ep; don't own one but from what I've read it's caused from not putting your eye close enough in. Good luck with your purchases & CS.

#3 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

The 8.8mm has been fixed in the Ar purged version. The N2 purged version can be fixed with a felt gasket that covers to the retaining ring and fixes the flaring.

#4 TexasRed

TexasRed

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Texas

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Sounds great to me! The XT12g doesn't have clutches, and doesn't need them. Just push it where you want it, and then let the auto-tracking take over.

#5 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

I think you have a good plan. I prefer Lumicon filters, though.

#6 daveyfitz

daveyfitz

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

I think you have a good plan. I prefer Lumicon filters, though.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I kinna figured a $200 filter would work better than a $70 one.

As always, the question is: How Much better, 3 times the price better?

I was trying to find some comparisons, but came up empty.

Have you compared them?

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

So, that's my plan. I welcome any comments or advice.

If you don't already have a good quality adjustable astro-chair then one should be on the list. With a 12 inch Dob, the eyepiece height could be 60 inches when viewing at the zenith, 25 inches when viewing near the horizon, a chair the easily adjusts so you can be comfortable at any eyepiece height is big plus.

Of all my accessories, eyepieces, gizmos and gadgets, my Starbound chair is the only one that I use each and every night, I would sooner give up my 31mm Nagler than the chair.

For a 12 inches and above, trusses make sense. Any fast scope needs to have the collimation checked before each use...

Jon

#8 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

I have not compared them. Years ago, they were considered among the best. I have just stayed with them and been very satisfied.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics