Photo

De Forking a Meade LX90

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:23 AM

Am wanting to remove my 8" LX90 Meade SCT from its fork and attach it to the new az eq6 mount in alt/az mode.

can the scope be easily removed from its forks and can someone point me to the mounting hardware I would need to mount her on a vixen or losmandy saddle

Thanking all responses

#2 KerryR

KerryR

Gemini

• Loc: SW Michigan

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

Best way to defork an LX90 is to remove one of the arms. Take both arm covers off and remove anything from the altitude axles that would prevent this- I can't remember exactly what was in there, but it was easy to figure out. With this done, a single arm is easily removed. The ota, still mounted in the carriers, can then be lifted out of the remaining arm. This done, the carrier/axle assembly can be removed from the ota.

I believe the OTA is drilled and tapped to accept a rail, the holes are currently filled with keeper screws. You'd just need to hunt down the right rail length, remove the keeper screws and attach the appropriate rail, Vixen or otherwise. This is a stock item, I think, so it'd be easy to find just about anywhere.

You can also remove the ota by sliding it out of the carriers without removing an arm, but it's likely you'll scratch the ota as it's slid forward out of the carriers (that's the reason I figured out the superior method of removing a single arm).

Note that some re-calibration via the little brass set-screws on the bottom of the carriers, along with re-training the drives, will be necessary should you re-fork the ota-- goto's will otherwise likely no longer fall in the FOV.

#3 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

Thanku Kerry

#4 KerryR

KerryR

Gemini

• Loc: SW Michigan

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

You're welcome!

Good luck.