Eyepiece orientation in eyepiece case

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tnranger

tnranger

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

I found the iconic Harbor Freight aluminum tool case that I am about to modify for eyepiece storage. I am trying to decide if I should have the eyepieces laying down, or standing up. I can get more stuff in the case (finder, COL hand piece, collimation tools, etc.) if they are standing up. I was thinking I could make a frame with 1.25" holes and pad around them, but then worried the eyepieces would not be as protected as if they were laying down.

Any opinions?

#2 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdome

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

I've done it both ways and prefer them standing up to save space. I've since moved up to a Pelican 1550 for eyepieces but still have one of the Lowes cases that I bought 15 years ago holding accessories.

For this topic you'd probably get more responses in the eyepiece forum.

#3 tnranger

tnranger

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Good idea, Jim. I'll do just that.

Thanks.

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

I found the iconic Harbor Freight aluminum tool case that I am about to modify for eyepiece storage. I am trying to decide if I should have the eyepieces laying down, or standing up. I can get more stuff in the case (finder, COL hand piece, collimation tools, etc.) if they are standing up. I was thinking I could make a frame with 1.25" holes and pad around them, but then worried the eyepieces would not be as protected as if they were laying down.

Any opinions?

I lay mine down flat.

- I think it is more secure, big, heavy eyepieces need to lie flat in a foam case, there is not enough surface to support a 2.3 lbs eyepiece like the 20mm Type 2 Nagler.

- My main case already weighs close to 20 lbs when loaded, that's enough. I am not trying to pack all my eyepieces and tools in one case. My eyepieces are in sets so if want my Naglers, I grab one case, if I want my Orthos, it's another case.

- The big reason though is that when I am observing out in the mountains where it can be dry and dusty or cold and damp, if an eyepiece is not in a focuser, it's in the case with the lid shut. If they stored horizontally, it's a lot easier, they just lie in the slots and it's no wear and tear on the foam.

Jon

#5 Tom Clark

Tom Clark

Viking 1

• Loc: North of Deming, NM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

This home-made box is about 20 years old. It has over 100,000 miles on it bouncing around in a storage bay of our RV. No foam, no eyepiece caps to take on and off all night long, provides for instant eyepiece changes, and never once an eyepiece scratched in all those years.

Also. eyepieces come and go over the years. The bottom inside section can be replaced anytime when you want to rearrange your eyepieces. No foam to get dirty or wear out.

I use a 2" hole saw and sand the holes out so they the eyepieces just slide in and out. That way they cannot tip over.

Also, when the lid is opened dimable led's light up the interior so you can see things.

The two handles are on the sides of the bottom half of the case. With a top handle sooner or later you will grab the case to put it back in the car, and the eyepieces will roll every where, because you forgot to latch the case closed.

Attached Files

#6 tnranger

tnranger

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

That is a sweet (and simple) case, Tom!

#7 Pat at home

Pat at home

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

"Also. eyepieces come and go over the years. The bottom inside section can be replaced anytime when you want to rearrange your eyepieces. No foam to get dirty or wear out.

I use a 2" hole saw and sand the holes out so they the eyepieces just slide in and out. That way they cannot tip over."

I use the same approach, but my case is not nearly as nice.

Attached Files

#8 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

I have mine lying on their sides. I can feel for them and grab them in the dark without sticking my finger on a lens.

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

I have mine lying on their sides. I can feel for them and grab them in the dark without sticking my finger on a lens.

:ubetcha: :waytogo:

Jon

#10 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

"Also. eyepieces come and go over the years. The bottom inside section can be replaced anytime when you want to rearrange your eyepieces. No foam to get dirty or wear out.

I use a 2" hole saw and sand the holes out so they the eyepieces just slide in and out. That way they cannot tip over."

I use the same approach, but my case is not nearly as nice.

Its ruggedly handsom for a simple wooden case......and after all beauty is only wood deep.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics