• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 scopemankit

scopemankit

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: south africa

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Every couple of years I have to take my ever slowing down computer to an "expert" to get it brought back up to speed. What files does he clear to unclutter the machine? (I regularly clear out the temp and temp internet files under "Local Settings")

When it gets slow it can't even handle a stack using DSS. I have my V Memory set to 4536 M. I am using Win Xp SP3.

What else can I do?

#2 SpaceOtter

SpaceOtter

Explorer 1

• Loc: NorCal

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

I've used CCleaner for computer clean-up. It clears out the junk, and usually doesn't overdo its job.

#3 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

I use CCleaner. It is free and does a good job. Once every other month I run the following:

MS antivirus (full scan)
Clamwin antivirus (full scan)
Spybot Search & Destroy (full scan)
CCleaner
MS disk defrang

This is overkill but doing it seems to keep my laptop spinning like a new top.

#4 FrankenCub

FrankenCub

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Whitney Point, NY

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

There's great advise here for you. When I used a Microsoft pc I used Malewarebytes, SpyBot, CCleaner, and disk defrag religiously. That was on a Dell with a Celeron processor and minimal memory. The defrag is very important due to the way Windows writes to the disk, left untouched it will slow your system quite substantially.
Age of the system, I believe, also plays a big role in how much it slows. My mother has a Dell with the Pentium 4 processor and it's getting more and more difficult to keep it running up to par, I think she's had it for at least 8 years now. It's getting tired.

Depending on what you have you can probably pick up a newer mobo with an i3 processor and DDR3 memory for cheap that will smoke what you are using now. Just something to consider.

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

I've used CCleaner for computer clean-up. It clears out the junk, and usually doesn't overdo its job.

+1 for CCleaner... :cool:

#6 rutherfordt

rutherfordt

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northeast Tennessee USA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Chris:

Many programs assume that you want them to pop up at a moment's notice instead of waiting 5 seconds while they load off of the hard drive, iTunes, Quicken, Office, and many others do this.

Under the START menu, go to RUN and type in "msconfig", click on the STARTUP tab.

If you have never done this before, you will see a lengthy list of dozens of programs, all of which are loading with each start-up and running in the background-- that's right, everyone of those programs is running on your computer at all times.

Uncheck EVERY box, except those that have the name of your AV program. Restart your machine and you will be amazed at how fast it runs compared to how it used to run.

Please note, you are not uninstalling anything by unchecking the boxes, everything is still there-- all you are doing is keeping them from autorunning. The programs are still available by clicking their icons or through the START menu. If you find you actually need one of those programs to autorun, just go back and check its box.

Tom

#7 FrankenCub

FrankenCub

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Whitney Point, NY

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

Chris:

Many programs assume that you want them to pop up at a moment's notice instead of waiting 5 seconds while they load off of the hard drive, iTunes, Quicken, Office, and many others do this.

Under the START menu, go to RUN and type in "msconfig", click on the STARTUP tab.

If you have never done this before, you will see a lengthy list of dozens of programs, all of which are loading with each start-up and running in the background-- that's right, everyone of those programs is running on your computer at all times.

Uncheck EVERY box, except those that have the name of your AV program. Restart your machine and you will be amazed at how fast it runs compared to how it used to run.

Please note, you are not uninstalling anything by unchecking the boxes, everything is still there-- all you are doing is keeping them from autorunning. The programs are still available by clicking their icons or through the START menu. If you find you actually need one of those programs to autorun, just go back and check its box.

Tom

I forgot all about that one :grin: I haven't used Windows for a long time lol

#8 scopemankit

scopemankit

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: south africa

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Many thanks guys. CCleaner is great!

#9 p1taylor

p1taylor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Midlands UK

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

Hi All, Will CCleaner and Toms clean up work with Windows8.

peter

#10 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

Next to CCleaner I also use Soluto which allows to finetune what loads into startup or when opening your browser. See http://www.soluto.com for this nice tool.

#11 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Nice App! Thanks Mark.

#12 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

• Loc: At the Gym >Spudtastic<

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:14 AM

You should DeFrag your Hard Drive once per week... :gramps:

I use Diskeeper 9.0 Pro I paid $20 years ago... :D

Here's some free DeFrag programs.. :cool:

http://www.filehippo...oad_defraggler/

http://www.filehippo...nload_mydefrag/

http://www.filehippo...load_oo_defrag/

#13 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

If you are using Vista (not sure of others), you can have it set to defrag on an automated schedule. I never have done it manually.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics