27 replies to this topic

#26 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

See http://www.darksky.org/
Many things we can do, starting with our own homes and neighborhoods.

#27 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

See http://www.darksky.org/
Many things we can do, starting with our own homes and neighborhoods.

Thanks Don, I've only recently become aware of the IDA and am definitely looking into becoming a contributor or helping in their efforts in whatever way I can.

My days of skygazing don't date back as far as some of your's, however I've even noticed a large difference in the past few years. I moved out of my parents house about 10 years ago. When I lived there, it was milky way from horizon to horizon. Beautiful skies. Now when I go back to visit, half the sky is aglow from all the new shopping centers springing up. It's a sad thing to see go, especially since as a kid those were the skies I spent countless nights under learning to appreciate the night sky, and now it's almost gone from that backyard. :bawling:

I haven't done too much outreach, but any chance I get to show someone the night sky looking better than they've ever seen it, I always go for the chance. One of my favorite memories is taking my wife to Maine and going outside with her one really clear evening and looking up. She was shocked at the night sky and said "too bad it's kind of cloudy"...those clouds were the Milky Way...a "holy cow" moment followed soon after that explanation. Priceless.

#28 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

• Loc: los angeles

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Near Palomar Observatory, maybe quater mile away from the Observatory.

You mentioned bicycle rides. I've also ridden up to Palomar, taking the South Grade road up to the top, and then down the other side to Lake Henshaw. I've never been up there with my astro gear though.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics