44 replies to this topic

#1 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

CNN anchor asks Bill Nye if recent asteroid flyby was caused by global warming:

http://www.popsci.co...bill-nye-did...

Ah the dense popular media and science . . .

#2 photonovore

photonovore

Moonatic

• Loc: tacoma wa

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Bill Nye is just as bad with less of an excuse...parroting that 'city killer'/Tunguska hype--and he even tacked on the Barringer crater for good measure! LOL! I have been waiting for someone to do that... :foreheadslap:

#3 Mike Casey

Mike Casey

Cosmos

• Loc: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

I wonder if the government would try to withhold news as long as possible of an upcoming serious asteroid strike?

#4 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:29 AM

CNN anchor asks Bill Nye if recent asteroid flyby was caused by global warming:

http://www.popsci.co...bill-nye-did...

Ah the dense popular media and science . . .

Oh, that's just a simple example of the gap between the media and science which has been going on for many decades. I remember watching coverage of the flyby of Pioneer 11 past Saturn in September of 1979, and a lady doing an interview of one of the project scientists asked something like, "In view of the recent Three Mile Island disaster, what is the concern about Pioneer 11's nuclear power source coming back to Earth after the Saturn encounter?". After hearing that, I just sat there stunned.....

#5 Moondoggy

Moondoggy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Beyond the Ort Cloud and Second Star to the Right

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:32 AM

There is an Old saying. "You just can't fix STUPID"

Also as Sargent Friday used to say in Dragnet,or paraphrase,"The Facts -Just the Facts"

CNN as well as many other News outlets are becoming more like the National Enquireror.
Sorry for the poor grammer, I deal with dislexia..

#6 Jarad

Jarad

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

I wonder if the government would try to withhold news as long as possible of an upcoming serious asteroid strike?

#1 - Why would they do that? The government response would be to prepare as best as possible, and the more time and warning we have the more people we could save.

#2 - How would they do that? Any astronomer who tracks it can calculate the orbit. Every country has professional astronomers, and you would have to keep all of them silent. Do you think that every professional astronomer in the world is willing to be part of a conspiracy to cover up an event like this?

Jarad

#7 Mister T

Mister T

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

And all you would need is one "news" type to catch a whiff and it would spread like wildfire! :shocked:

#8 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

There is an Old saying. "You just can't fix STUPID"

Also as Sargent Friday used to say in Dragnet,or paraphrase,"The Facts -Just the Facts"

CNN as well as many other News outlets are becoming more like the National Enquireror.
Sorry for the poor grammer, I deal with dislexia..

:bow: LOL

#9 photonovore

photonovore

Moonatic

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

I can't imagine why? In the case of an impactor that was subject to mitigation (such as DA14 if it were to be on an impact path), they would get a lot more good PR out of extensively publicizing the impending impact as well as the measures they could and would make happen to prevent/mitigate it. Maybe they could get Bruce Willis to do the public service ads... ;)

#10 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

At least CNN is covering the flyby, more then I can say about the other two large cable networks.

Not a big fan of Bill Nye but he is at least not as obnoxious as Phil Plait. Nye did a lot of good with his old children's program back in the day.

I agree with others, it would be pretty hard to hide a possible impact from the public if someone had observed the object and determined the orbit.

#11 D_talley

D_talley

Vanguard

• Loc: Richmond VA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

I can't imagine why? In the case of an impactor that was subject to mitigation (such as DA14 if it were to be on an impact path), they would get a lot more good PR out of extensively publicizing the impending impact as well as the measures they could and would make happen to prevent/mitigate it. Maybe they could get Bruce Willis to do the public service ads... ;)

It may depend on the amount of time before the impact. The impact of 2008 TC3 was only briefed to the white house, but there was only 20 hours from discovery to impact.

#12 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

#1 - Why would they do that? The government response would be to prepare as best as possible, and the more time and warning we have the more people we could save.

#2 - How would they do that? Any astronomer who tracks it can calculate the orbit. Every country has professional astronomers, and you would have to keep all of them silent. Do you think that every professional astronomer in the world is willing to be part of a conspiracy to cover up an event like this?

Jarad

Thanks, Jared. I was trying to think of a kind comment to make to the original quote. My thoughts were, "Oh good grief!" But you handled it well. :grin:

#13 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

• -----

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

*good lord* {pounds head into wall)

-drl

#14 sirchz

sirchz

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

I remember watching coverage of the flyby of Pioneer 11 past Saturn in September of 1979, and a lady doing an interview of one of the project scientists asked something like, "In view of the recent Three Mile Island disaster, what is the concern about Pioneer 11's nuclear power source coming back to Earth after the Saturn encounter?". After hearing that, I just sat there stunned.....

Clearly she missed the real risk of these probes. Just wait until Voyager returns in the 23rd century as V'Ger! ;)

#15 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Bill Nye is just as bad with less of an excuse...parroting that 'city killer'/Tunguska hype--and he even tacked on the Barringer crater for good measure! LOL! I have been waiting for someone to do that... :foreheadslap:

Please bring me up to speed. Just what was wrong in Nye mentioning those events?

http://www.space.com...-flyby-faq.html

NASA astronomers have compared the size of this asteroid with the one that caused the "Tunguska Event" over Siberia in 1908 that leveled trees across 825 square miles (2,137 square km).

Instead of smacking into the Earth's surface, asteroid 2012 DA14 would likely explode in midair, likely destroying whatever happens to be underneath it over a wide swath.

Dave Mitsky

#16 brentwood

brentwood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: BC Canada

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

Earlier this morning I looked at this video on CNN and I noticed that they now start it AFTER the silly question!

#17 Scott Horstman

Scott Horstman

Vendor - Backyard Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Here, There and Everywhere

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Given some of the replies to your post, Mike, it would seem a lot of people have more confidence than we do in the government serving us rather than themselves.

#18 photonovore

photonovore

Moonatic

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Please bring me up to speed. Just what was wrong in Nye mentioning those events?

http://www.space.com...-flyby-faq.html

NASA astronomers have compared the size of this asteroid with the one that caused the "Tunguska Event" over Siberia in 1908 that leveled trees across 825 square miles (2,137 square km).

Instead of smacking into the Earth's surface, asteroid 2012 DA14 would likely explode in midair, likely destroying whatever happens to be underneath it over a wide swath.

Dave Mitsky

Because, as near as I can tell, he was parroting what appears to be on closer analysis, exaggerated hype.
DA14 flyby & NASA's devastation predictions

#19 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

Given some of the replies to your post, Mike, it would seem a lot of people have more confidence than we do in the government serving us rather than themselves.

You give "the government" too much credit. It would take a world wide conspiracy to hide a possible impact if the orbit of an object was determined to be a possible impact. I just don't see that happening.

#20 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

1. Remember Bill Nye is an entertainer, not a scientist
2. We here at CN know much more about astronomy & space science than most journalists and also the general public. When the media gets astronomy & space news wrong, it makes me wonder how accurate they are in subjects that I am ignorant in...

#21 photonovore

photonovore

Moonatic

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

When the media gets astronomy & space news wrong, it makes me wonder how accurate they are in subjects that I am ignorant in...

Boy howdy! :p

#22 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

That said, we're all more ignorant than we are knowledgeable, so while we should do our best to correct mis-statements by entertainers and even those who should know better, let's not make it personal.

These guys are trying to get people interested in science, just as we are. Expert knowledge is not a requirement. Enthusiasm is. We can always correct the knowledge part. It's hard to resurrect lost enthusiasm.

#23 aezoss

aezoss

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Great White North

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

It actually sounds like an improv seque that just didn't work out as intended. I think she was trying to get a laugh out of Nye but her delivery was just too dead pan for him to process. She should have stuck to the prompter text.

In the broadcaster's defense, these flourishes can be hard to execute well 100% of the time, particularly if the studio is on a tight production schedule and they can't do 20 takes of the same 5 minute segment.

I wouldn't be surprised if she facepalmed when they cut. It could have been the producer who made the call... 90% accurate, good enough, have to move on to a completely unrelated subject - which the anchor may also know as much or as little as giant space rocks falling from the sky.

Maybe I'm giving CNN too much credit.

Lee

#24 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

Well remember we are taling about television news here, where appearance and hair are more important than brainpower. There's a Miss America reject doing news in just about every major market in the country. They could not get hired to empty trash at a real newspaper.

#25 brentwood

brentwood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: BC Canada

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

On the other hand, a reporter is supposed to ask the questions that the viewing audience would ask.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics