#1 DavidOpticsmart

DavidOpticsmart

Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Alabama

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

All sizes of Apertura Dobsonians are FINALLY back in stock! :woot:

But we haven't exactly been sitting around twiddling our thumbs while waiting for the new shipment to arrive. In fact, we've been busy little beavers and I'm proud to announce some exciting new changes and improvements to the Tweaker's Dream Package (with NO increase in price)!

Instead of Fidelio, we will now be using flocking to line the interior of Apertura scopes (for customers who purchase the Tweaker's Dream Package). As you all know, flocking is the industry standard for light absorption in telescopes, AND it's less expensive than the Fidelio we used previously, so with the money we saved by switching to flocking, we've added new features that make the new Tweaker's Dream Package an even better value than before!

First, we are now including a custom-designed Light Shield with every Tweaker's Dream Package! This light shield will block stray light from entering the focuser and damaging contrast. The shields are laser-cut from .040" thick ABS plastic, with flocking on the inside face to match the interior of the scope.

Posted Image

Second, we will now include replacement springs for the primary mirror collimation screws (preinstalled). These stainless steel springs are significantly larger and stiffer than the stock springs and will help the primary mirror hold collimation better and longer.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The light shield and replacement springs are at least a $40-$60 value compared to similar items sold elsewhere, and I think most customers will find them to be a high value addition to the Tweaker's Dream Package.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

#2 DavidOpticsmart

DavidOpticsmart

Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

I expect someone will ask about vignetting with the light shield, so I’ll just address that now. Yes it is of course possible that some minor vignetting will occur when using the widest angle eyepieces (as is true with competing light shields on the market).

But as is often mentioned here on the forum, the eye is quite insensitive to vignetting, so it shouldn’t be an issue. If a customer DOES notice vignetting on a wide angle eyepiece, they can simply remove the shield during use of that eyepiece if they wish. Or they may choose to leave the shield in place if they decide that its light-blocking duty outweighs any minor vignetting.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

#3 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

• Loc: West Paris, Maine 04289

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

David,

When I put an 8" w/Tweakers Dream Package in the shopping cart I get this message beneath the product name:

* This product is not available in the requested quantity. 1 of the items will be backordered.

Is this accurate?

thanks, -Tim

#4 DavidOpticsmart

DavidOpticsmart

Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

David,

When I put an 8" w/Tweakers Dream Package in the shopping cart I get this message beneath the product name:

* This product is not available in the requested quantity. 1 of the items will be backordered.

Is this accurate?

thanks, -Tim

No that definitely wasn't accurate and I've fixed the problem (inventory) in our system now. Thanks for the head's up Tim!!

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

#5 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

• Loc: West Paris, Maine 04289

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

Very good, thanks! I'll try to call today, have a couple questions for you.

-Tim

David,

Is this accurate?

thanks, -Tim

No that definitely wasn't accurate and I've fixed the problem (inventory) in our system now. Thanks for the head's up Tim!!

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

#6 DavidOpticsmart

DavidOpticsmart

Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Very good, thanks! I'll try to call today, have a couple questions for you.

-Tim

Sounds good! Looking forward to hearing from you.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

#7 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

I expect someone will ask about vignetting with the light shield, so I’ll just address that now. Yes it is of course possible that some minor vignetting will occur when using the widest angle eyepieces (as is true with competing light shields on the market).

But as is often mentioned here on the forum, the eye is quite insensitive to vignetting, so it shouldn’t be an issue. If a customer DOES notice vignetting on a wide angle eyepiece, they can simply remove the shield during use of that eyepiece if they wish. Or they may choose to leave the shield in place if they decide that its light-blocking duty outweighs any minor vignetting.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

Hi David,

I have an extension I use on the end of my 10" reflector,(which is there as a dew shield / stray light blocker), which extends 15" longer, (1.5x the aperture of my mirror which is the golden rule I think), and I use a 2" 38mm Orion Q70 and I don't get any vignetting at all, so that extension you have on there should be fine!

BTW, your scopes look excellent with all of the right "tweaks" on them! I know I would buy one for sure if I needed one. :waytogo:

Cheers,

#8 DavidOpticsmart

DavidOpticsmart

Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

Hi David,

I have an extension I use on the end of my 10" reflector,(which is there as a dew shield / stray light blocker), which extends 15" longer, (1.5x the aperture of my mirror which is the golden rule I think), and I use a 2" 38mm Orion Q70 and I don't get any vignetting at all, so that extension you have on there should be fine!

BTW, your scopes look excellent with all of the right "tweaks" on them! I know I would buy one for sure if I needed one. :waytogo:

Cheers,

Thanks for your comments about the light shield Markus, and especially for your compliments on our scopes with "all the right tweaks". :bow:

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

#9 MawkHawk

MawkHawk

Messenger

• Loc: SE Michigan, USA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

I wonder if the light shield material could be made to wrap around the entire tube to form a dew shield?

#10 DavidOpticsmart

DavidOpticsmart

Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

I wonder if the light shield material could be made to wrap around the entire tube to form a dew shield?

It would certainly be possible, although we don't have any plans at this time to offer full-wrap dew shields.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

#11 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newington, CT

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

You don't need a dew shield with a dobsonian; the tube acts as a dew shield.

Blocking light is, of course, a different story.

Susceptibility to dew can be guesstimated this way:

How large a portion of the sky is visible from the front-most piece of glass compared to how much is blocked by a tube. The skSky is MUCH colder than the ground, clouds, or tube, even in winter. COLD=DEW.

With a SCT, MCT, or reflector, if the scope is pointed up, ALL of the sky is visible from the front-most piece of glass (corrector or lens in this case). Lots of sky = high potential for dew. Adding a dew shield reduces the amount of sky visible from the front of the scope by at least 75-90 percent.

With even a very short reflector, less than 10% of the sky is visible from the mirror, while the rest is blocked by the tube. Little sky = low potential for dew.

#12 DavidOpticsmart

DavidOpticsmart

Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Little sky = low potential for dew.

Exactly. :)

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

#13 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

It would certainly be possible, although we don't have any plans at this time to offer full-wrap dew shields.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

The Astro Zap flexible dew shields can be used. I ordered one for a newt through Scopestuff. Just sent him the tube diameter and Astro Zap cut one to fit it.

#14 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newington, CT

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

You don't need a dew shield with a dobsonian; the tube acts as a dew shield.

Minor note: with TRUSS reflectors, you DO want a shroud which will help quiet a bit with dew.

#15 DavidOpticsmart

DavidOpticsmart

Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

The Astro Zap flexible dew shields can be used. I ordered one for a newt through Scopestuff. Just sent him the tube diameter and Astro Zap cut one to fit it.

Yes, if someone feels that they actually need a full-wrap dew shield on a solid tube Dobsonian, getting one custom-made by Astrozap would be my recommendation as well.

Minor note: with TRUSS reflectors, you DO want a shroud which will help quiet a bit with dew.

Absolutely, and for that I would recommend Shrouds by Heather.

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

#16 MawkHawk

MawkHawk

Messenger

• Loc: SE Michigan, USA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

I'm actually thinking about dew on the secondary. I think you guys are referring to dew on the primary when you say that dobs are not likely to have dew problems (although I've seen primaries with dew on them a couple of times).

I have seen dew on truss dob secondary mirrors plenty of times, even with a shroud. That's why people make or purchase secondary dew heaters. Solid tube is a different story, as explained above. But a lot of solid tube dobs have the secondary up pretty close to the end of the tube, like the Aperturas and Zhummels, for example. Although I have not had dew on my Z8 secondary yet. My buddy built a dew shield for his 16" Lightbridge because he was having this problem.

Anyhow, the Apertura with the Tweeker's Package looks like an awesome deal to me.

#17 DavidOpticsmart

DavidOpticsmart

Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

I'm actually thinking about dew on the secondary. I think you guys are referring to dew on the primary when you say that dobs are not likely to have dew problems (although I've seen primaries with dew on them a couple of times).

I have seen dew on truss dob secondary mirrors plenty of times, even with a shroud. That's why people make or purchase secondary dew heaters. Solid tube is a different story, as explained above. But a lot of solid tube dobs have the secondary up pretty close to the end of the tube, like the Aperturas and Zhummels, for example. Although I have not had dew on my Z8 secondary yet. My buddy built a dew shield for his 16" Lightbridge because he was having this problem.

Yeah it can definitely happen, but it's pretty rare in most places. And a full-wrap dew shield would cost a good bit more and we didn't want to "burden" the Tweaker's Dream Package with the higher cost of an item that few people would want or need (whereas virtually everyone will benefit from the light shield). We may offer a full-wrap dew shield separately at some point, but for now we'll just refer customers who feel they need one to the vendors mentioned above.

Anyhow, the Apertura with the Tweeker's Package looks like an awesome deal to me.

Thanks MawkHawk!! :bow:

David Giles
Opticsmart.com

#18 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

"You don't need a dew shield with a dobsonian; the tube acts as a dew shield."

True. Equally ineffective as with a typical refractor dew shield, too. Solid tube Dobs around here often have their secondaries fog up. I suspect an extended dew shield could delay the onset of secondary dewing. Might be worth a shot at any rate as adding heat to the secondary is rather a pain.

- Jim

#19 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

I do much of my observing from a light polluted place, with multiple light sources in my immediate vicinity, over which i have no control. I use a dew shield on my newts, makes a real difference.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics