• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stardolphin

stardolphin

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: MI, USA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

I've owned a Meade DSX-125AT for several years. Thankfully, the telescope is still around and kickin'. I've always been interested in using a computer to control the telescope. With this said, I'm interested in purchasing a Meade AutoStar #505 and USB to RS-232 Serial Adapter. For cost savings and the added benefit of a longer cord (homemade Meade AutoStar #505), I stumbled across both items on AstroGadgets.com. Do folks have experience ordering from this web site?

Thanks in advance!

#2 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

I have ordered cables to extend the reach of my Autostar as well as my Celestron handset. I have never had problems with them. I have not added this post to my favorites so if you want to respond, do it privately.
Jim

#3 stardolphin

stardolphin

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: MI, USA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

To follow-up... I ordered the knockoff Meade AutoStar #505 cable and USB to RS-232 Serial Adapter from AstroGadgets.com. The shipping cost (~$5) was reasonable and the items were delivered in a few days. Thus far, I'm quite pleased with both products. The knockoff Meade AutoStar #505 cable is 25' long and appears to be well-made. The USB to RS-232 Serial Adapter works great. The adapter uses a FTDI chip; providing driver support for Windows, Mac, and Linux. As an added bonus, the light on the USB to RS-232 Serial Adapter glows red.

Thus far, I've used both items to update my #497 AutoStar hand controller's firmware and control my telescope (Meade DSX-125AT) via laptop (Cartes du Ciel).

I'm happy! :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics