A question for Sirius/HEQ5 owners

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 hoa101

hoa101

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Seems I always come to the forums lately with potential problems...

Anyway, I just received my brand new Sirius mount and was setting it up. I noticed a couple odd things. First, the spreader is not centered on the tripod. When two of the 'V' areas touch the legs, the third does not. I triple-checked to make sure the legs were fully extended. If I crank the nut on there, it will end up noticeably angled to one side in order to mate with all three legs. Strange.

Next one, when turning the declination axis, I can feel subtle "bumps" through my fingertips in certain spots as it goes around. I was sort of under the impression it should be smooth like the RA axis. Current owners, does your dec axis turn smoothly all the way around?

I'm a little worried I got a lemon. If the dec issue indicates a real problem, I am not willing to strip apart a brand new mount to fix it. That sucker will get shipped back. :(

Thanks for the help.

#2 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:20 AM

Well i have this mount (HEQ5 Pro) and i do not see problem with the spreader. Do you test with legs extended in length or retracted? I personally always use the mount with retracted legs in length so that it is more stable and never had problem with the spreader not contacting all legs. Check again if you have spread all the legs maximum away from each other. They can sometimes be stiff.

About the DEC axis - when testing make sure that it is fully unlocked. If needed keep the dec lock clutch at upper position (unlocked) with your finder to be sure. At my mount if i unlock the dec axis and leave it it still have some slight resistance.

#3 hoa101

hoa101

Vostok 1

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

I removed the pins from the legs and looked at it. Nothing obviously wrong. A thought did occur to me that if the hole was drilled in slightly the wrong spot at one leg, it would allow it to rotate to the wrong angle when deployed. Could be what is going on here. My other Synta tripod is perfect.

As for the head... ugh. The Dec clutch is definitely all the way off, and there is alot of notchiness as you rotate it by hand. I doubt that would do wonders for my budding astrophotography hobby.

I am fairly depressed by all this. Hopefully Orion will take care of me.

#4 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: okc area, oklahoma

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

They should, I have had nothing but good luck with Orion customer service.

#5 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

I removed the pins from the legs and looked at it. Nothing obviously wrong. A thought did occur to me that if the hole was drilled in slightly the wrong spot at one leg, it would allow it to rotate to the wrong angle when deployed. Could be what is going on here. My other Synta tripod is perfect.

As for the head... ugh. The Dec clutch is definitely all the way off, and there is alot of notchiness as you rotate it by hand. I doubt that would do wonders for my budding astrophotography hobby.

I am fairly depressed by all this. Hopefully Orion will take care of me.

Sorry to hear about problems with a new mount. Probably time for a return. However, if you were going to address the DEC issue yourself, then what you would probably want to do it loosen up the axis nut (that the counterwieght bar goes into) a bit. What has most likely happen here is that they have put to much preload onto the taper bearing but overtightening the nut. Loosening the nut a but would likely smooth things out some. However, the taper bearing may be damaged from the preload sufficiently to alway make it a little rough.

Sounds like the tripod may not have been drilled straight.

#6 Messyone

Messyone

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Down Under

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

I have the HEQ5 and it doesn't have any of your problems. The spreader....well not sure whats wrong there but the Dec should be smooth. I use this for the often needed adjustments to get rid of play in the dec axis http://www.astro-bab...ild/heq5-m1.htm it's been mentioned quite a bit on CN. Maybe yours is too tight?
Hope this helps,
Matt

#7 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

These mounts can almost always benefit from a bit of careful tuning but if it feels lumpy out the box ai would incline go believe it slightly lemony and send it back for a replacement.

A more common problem I see is the DEC axis has goo much play. The DEc axis is usually the harder one to tune to perfection but a bumpy one might indicate all sorts of possible issues.

No reason you should have to take it to bits from new so I would return.

Dont panic, there are lots of these mounts out there and problems are few and far between given the vast numbers that are sold.

#8 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Neither of those problems with mine either.

#9 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Viking 1

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Nothing like "getting to know" your own equipment. Strip it down, and get to hyper-tuning it yourself.

#10 hoa101

hoa101

Vostok 1

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I believe a mount this expensive should work at least to most of its potential out of the box. Especially since I have tripod problems as well.

Also, as EFT indicates, there could be internal damage. My vendor is dealing with Orion to arrange a return. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being crazy before going to such lengths.

Thanks for the help everyone!

#11 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Not in the minority I think when a mount is new. My original HEQ5 went back as it had a severe deunchiness with the RA and the polarscope was cross threaded and jammed on at an angle.

No way was ai going to mess about after having forked out for the mount. The repacement was fine...I only stripped mine down because when ai upgraded it to GoTo it had a binding gear problem.

#12 hoa101

hoa101

Vostok 1

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

UPDATE: I received a replacement Sirius EQ-G yesterday. The tripod on this one is drilled properly and functions as expected. The head STILL had the dec nut just a touch too tight. A backed out the set screws and took a bit of torque off it, and the axis feels better. Unlike the last one, this was only a very minor problem that I was comfortable just fixing myself.

Being a mechanical engineer, it really irks me that people can't lubricate and torque a threaded part properly. It's really not that hard.

But enough of that. Overall I am pleased with the service Orion gave me. I guess QA issues might be expected with a mass-produced scope from China. I expect it will work very well once I get it imaging... now I just need to wait for the clouds to dissipate.

#13 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

• Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

I'm glad things are looking better for you with your new mount.

I think that proper lubrication and how to turn something onto threads should be taught in grade school. :grin: I have encountered so many things that just "screeeech" from having dry threadsl. Ugh.

Have fun.

Best, Linda B.

#14 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

Glad to hear that the problem is fixed now. I am very happy with my heq 5 pro. I bought it in 2008 (it was the non-pro version without goto) and year later i upgraded it to pro with the official upgrade kit replacing the motors, HC and motor control board. Since then it works without any problems. I have tested it up to -15 degrees celsius and it continues to work properly.

#15 hoa101

hoa101

Vostok 1

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

I'm probably just being paranoid due to previous issues, but can anyone tell me if the rythmic clicking/rattling noise while slewing in RA is normal?

Video here: https://www.youtube....h?v=4e4-JpGD-C4

#16 Ricky

Ricky

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Nor Cal

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Mine makes that noise too...not too worried about it though.

#17 RandallK

RandallK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

Hey! That's the "classic" sound of a SYNTA mount!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics