Photo

Looking for first mount, leaning toward the AVX.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jbarr2000

jbarr2000

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

I just got a new DSLR and I'd really love to try some imaging. I'm really leaning toward the Celestron AVX, but I won't have an OTA for the mount, just the camera to start. However I saw this link AVX and 6" Newt. It doesn't seem like that bad of a deal for only $100 more, but I don't want to throw away that $100 either. Any opinions?

#2 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

If you are just going to use a dslr check out the mount from Orion that is for dslr astrophotography using your slr lenses.

Click here to check it out

#3 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:33 AM

I would say the "Adventures in Astroimaging" package linked by Whichwayisnorth should only be considered if you expect to be doing very wide field imaging, 50mm, 28mm, 18mm camera lenses. Anything beyond that and you will be running into mount limitations very fast. (When I first started experimenting in AP I had a very similar mount and if my experience is a guide the "adventure" is made up of frustration much of the time)

Now... as for the AVX. That you will have NO problem imaging with that. My first Real Mount was a CG5 (the AVX's predecessor) and like you I had a DSLR only with no actual telescope to start out.

The AVX with Newt deal is not as good a deal as it looks if you intend to use the newtonian as an imaging platform. Alas that newt would need to have it's focuser replaced and possibly other changes as well before it would be really useable - at that point you will have spent more money than you would have if you got the mount without scope and saved up for an imaging-optimized scope such as the AT6IN or AT65EDQ.

There are of course many other even more expensive mounts capable of imaging with heavier loads but the AVX will serve you well with focal lengths well up into 1000mm - and for most seeing conditions that is actually a good place to be anyway. :)

Have fun getting started in AP! :grin:

#4 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:22 AM

Ditto !

#5 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

I just got a new DSLR and I'd really love to try some imaging. I'm really leaning toward the Celestron AVX, but I won't have an OTA for the mount, just the camera to start. However I saw this link AVX and 6" Newt. It doesn't seem like that bad of a deal for only $100 more, but I don't want to throw away that $100 either. Any opinions?

If your absolute budget is $900 + Tax and Shipping then you could do worse than that package. However, if you can afford $350-$500 more then an AT6IN or AT8IN would be a much better choice. Like everyone else has said. The mount is worth every dime. That scope, not so much.

#6 jbarr2000

jbarr2000

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

I wasn't anywhere dead set on that scope, I just wasn't sure if t was a good buy. I figured it wouldn't be good for my needs though.

I don't need to have an OTA right away, I'm just fine working with just my camera and lenses to get the hand of it. I am definitely wanting to get a scope eventually, that's why I want to go with the AVX.

When the time comes what would be the better option? Newt or refractor? I'll be pairing it with a canon T3i.

Thank you all for the advice. Exactly what I was looking for. Wouldn't expect anything less from Cloudy Nights!

#7 oo_void

oo_void

Viking 1

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Personally, I'd go with a the AT65EDQ first. Refractors are much more low maintenance than newtonians and allow you to focus on increasing your imaging skills rather than always questioning things like coma, collimation, etc.

Once you "graduate" from your refractor and know why you'd want a faster scope, and have auto-guiding and balance down, then you might consider a newtonian as a next step.

#8 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

When the time comes what would be the better option? Newt or refractor?

Hah - the answer to that question can start religious wars at times :p

The AT65EDQ has several advantages and one disadvantage:
- Pro: includes an integrated photographic field flattener (no extra equipment needed to get the best possible image! This one is very uncommon for any scope)
- Pro: small, quick to set up, highly portable
- Pro: low-maintenance (nothing to adjust!)
- Con: comparatively slow f/6.5 focal ratio means longer exposures required then the f/4 newt would require
- Neutral: 420mm focal length, a good wide FOV, excellent for a large number of deep-sky targets!

As for the AT6IN:
- Pro: f/4 focal ratio means shorter exposures, less likelihood of mount tracking or guiding problems causing rejected frames
- Pro: cheaper (at first) if budget is a concern
- Neutral: will produce star-spikes on bright stars similar to this. I *like* star spikes, but some people do not :shrug:
- Neutral: 610mm focal length, a bit closer in then 420mm but still nice and wide.
- Neutral: will eventually need to buy a Coma Corrector (~$130-$200) for best results so the price ends up nearly identical to the AT65EDQ
- Con: bulkier/physically larger (only a con if ease of portability is a concern)
- Con: Will need to be periodically collimated (mirror alignment adjusted) to ensure best results.

If I was you (and could afford it) I would get the Refractor. I have seen good photographic results posted by people using both scopes but the AT65EDQ's ease of use really is great - you really have to do nothing else other then attach the camera and focus. I wish I had one myself!

Before you make your decision though, can I ask what lenses you have for your camera?

#9 powerstroke01

powerstroke01

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Sierra Nevada Foothills

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

If you want to see what the avx and at65edq can do then check out the latest images on my astrobin.

#10 jbarr2000

jbarr2000

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

I have the following:

18-55mm kit lens
55-250mm f4-5.6
50mm f1.6

I should mention I've got a Zhumell Z8, so I'm not completely new to everything, but I'm still a huge newbie. The z8 will be sold to make room for whatever.

#11 jbarr2000

jbarr2000

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

Just a little bump for Falcon.

#12 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:09 AM

50mm f1.6

50mm f1.6? Hmm... did you mean a f/1.4 or f/1.8? If that the Canon "EF 50mm f/1.8" or "EF 50mm f/1.8 II" then I can tell you that this is an excellent astro lens. I have one myself, here are a few of the shots I have taken with it so far.

You will want to run at f/4 or f/3.2 for best results. Focus can be a bit touchy to get PERFECT but once you do get a perfect focus it does very nicely. :) BTW - I found focus could drift a bit on mine so I just use an elastic band across half of the focus ring to keep it in place throughout the night.

18-55mm kit lens

From what I understand the kit lens does an ok job at AP - you will have to stop down a few notches from wide open to get best results. The 50mm f/1.8 is FAR better though so unless you are trying to image something very wide in the 18-28mm range I would stick with the "Nifty 50".

55-250mm f4-5.6

I have never tried this lens and not seen anyone post results with it.... so.... no idea! Like nearly every other lens though best results are almost sure to be had with the aperture a few stops closed, so rather then wide open (f/5.6 at 250mm) try running at f/8.

Now to get slightly back on topic (sorry moderators!) all three of those lenses are reasonably light weight so even just a simple dovetail with 1/4-20 bolt in it will serve to attach the camera to the mount. Something like this dovetail from orion or the much nicer (but more expensive) combo of this dovetail and this camera mount from ADM. The ADM option is certainly more sturdy and the camera-mount portion may be handy when you have a scope to piggyback onto.

Vering (mostly) OT again... Given that you do not have something like an expensive 300mm or 400mm Canon L series lens the AT65EDQ will *certainly* be a compliment to what you already have (not duplication). :) Even if the 55-250 turns out to be not very good for AP having a 50mm, a 420mm (AT65EDQ) and should you choose to go more advanced in AP in the future a scope in the 800mm to 1200mm range will give you a VERY nice set of options for imaging with, and the AVX would be able to handle each without problems.

Hope that helps - be sure to pay a visit to the DSLR imaging section of the forum as well! :)

#13 jbarr2000

jbarr2000

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

Yeah, I did mean the f1.4, I had a brain fart I guess!

Thanks for all your help Falcon, I really appreciate it! Awesome images too! Makes me even more anxious to get started!

#14 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

Ahh cool - the f/1.4 should do even better then my f/1.8 then. :) You will have to experiment to find the ideal f/-stop setting but with a bit of luck f/2.8 or f/3.2 will be the sweet spot instead of the f/4 sweet spot the one I have.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics