• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tomnjulie

tomnjulie

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:22 AM

What is the biggest tube to putmon a celestron cg5? Shouldmi have it sent off to be optimized?

#2 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

I have an Astro Tech AT8IN. It is an 8" 800mm F4.0 scope that weighs about 22 pounds without anything else on it. I think my total payload is about 26 pounds and I have done 3 minute subs without guiding.

You have to really be precise about the polar alignment and balance though. Any more weight than this probably won't work with a CG-5.

I have seen ratings as high as 35 pounds for the CG-5 payload. Celestron doesn't appear to give a spec for that and the new VX is rated to 30 pounds. I would think that 30 pounds is probably closer to its actual limit.

#3 Stelios

Stelios

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

For visual the CG5 works great with a 9.25" (something I can personally attest). I know people have used it (again for visual) with a C11, and with that tube it's controversial; some think it's quite adequate, others hate it.

For photography, a C8 is about the limit.

The nice thing about the CG-5 is the weight. The mount/tripod combo is much easier to carry in and out of the house than, say, a CGEM or Atlas. This becomes an increasing concern as the years mount, especially if you don't have the luxury of using wheelie-bars or setting up on a permanent pier.

#4 67champ

67champ

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

I am possibly going to get a 9.25 or 11 and mount on a CG5 for Lunar photography. Think I can get away with that?

dana t

#5 Timthelder

Timthelder

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bowling Green KY

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

No problem at at all using a 9.25. Lunar, planetary, DSO objects,(fairly short subs, guided.) It also helps to hang some 'dead-weight' from the center of the accessory tray. (I hung 50lbs.form mine)

Vibration is more of an issue than the weight factor. I imaged for 4yrs with my CG5 before moving up to a CGE pro. In my OP the CG5 is a little workhorse of a mount.

#6 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

I got mine with my C6-RGT. That is a 6" f/8 refractor. I was surprised it was as stable as it is. With vibration suppression pads it is even better. Visually it is very usable. For photography, I'm finding that it doesn't take much movement to cause enough vibration to ruin a subframe. I'm going to be trying it with a C8 for photography. The Chromatic abberation is a larger reason for that than the vibration issue. I can stop moving around so much.

#7 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Don't optimize it unless it needs it for your intended use. If you're not imaging, no, you won't need it "tuned".

Celestron sells the C11 OTA on this mount. The C11 OTA weighs 27#. It works fine on the CG5, when balanced, for visual use, but it's definitely pushing the limits. I think a C8 is a perfect mate for this mount, and pretty much any 4" and smaller refractor, too, will work well on it.

Regards,

Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics