5 replies to this topic

#1 bugbear

bugbear

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:14 AM

A while back (holy hell - it was 2011!) I got a silly cheap EQ mount:

http://www.cloudynig...4903959/page...

I would (now) like to use it with my equally cheap Galileoscope.

http://galileoscope.org/

My thoughts run to making simple wooden blocks with semi-circular cuts, screwing them to the mount,
then sitting the scope in the cuts.

Before I wander to my workshop and start reinventing the wheel, are there any standard
ways of fixing mainly-cyclindrical scopes to mainly-flat mounts?

Pointers, hints and links all welcome.

BugBear

#2 Mirzam

Mirzam

Skylab

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

What you are suggesting will work. A good way to secure the scope is to use hose clamps, which are pushed through pieces of clear plastic tubing. This will prevent any marring of the surface of the scope. If you want to get fancy you can drill holes and screw the clamps to your wood saddle adapter. Otherwise just run them all the way around it.

JimC

#3 dan_h

dan_h

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Circular sections work and they don't need to be a full semicircle. I am lazy so if I want something quick but functional I will use V-block form. All it takes is a base board and a couple of strips along the edges. \__/

The hose clamps work and can be covered with tubing as suggested or with self adhesive felt strips cut from sheet.

dan

#4 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

I used an automotive exhaust pipe clamp. Worked well.

#5 bugbear

bugbear

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

Thanks to all who replied, and my apologies for not knowing about "mounting rings"

Here's an article I should have read before posting:

http://www.cloudynig...4397473/page...

BugBear

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

I made a pair of wooden rings for my PST, they actually work quite well. I was lucky the tube was the right diameter for a common sized hole saw, 2 inches. This is how I did it.

I started with two pieces of oak 3.5" x 3.5" x 1". I basically used the oak as it were aluminum, the clamp bolts and the attachment screw were 1/4-20 and I just tapped the threads into the oak.

The first step was to drill the 2 inch hole in the center of the 3.5 x 3.5 inch piece. I used Harbor Freight hole saw and a $50 drill press.

Once that was done, I drilled two holes probably 3/16" holes 1/2" in from each edge. These needed to be 90 degrees to the direction of the grain and and at least 1/2 way through.

The next step was to split the ring, I think I actually made two cuts on each side so there was a clearance in the middle. On one piece I drilled a clearance hole for the 1/4" bolt, the other side I drilled through with the tap drill and then tapped the 1/4-20 threads into the oak.

The piece with the threads, I then drilled the tap hole for the 1/4-20 mounting bolt in the center of the ring and from the hole side, counter sunk it and tapped the 1/4-20 threads. The mounting bolt is 1/4-20 flat head. Once the bolt was in place and I was sure that the head was recessed enough, I cut strips of felt with adhesive on one side and fit them to the rings and I was done.

They work great and they look good too, he said modestly.

Jon

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics