Photo

Rookie seeking help to make the right choice

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SeptemberEquinox

SeptemberEquinox

Ranger 4

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

I got a Celestron Omni Xlt 150R f5, achromatic refractor. It came with Celetron CG4 manual EQ mount, I'm used to using the EQ mount now. I enjoy using this mount and it's very rewarding when I found crab nebula in a light polluted area.

I have used this set up for about a month now, and I feel like I don't have enough time to view everything I want especially when I take a trip for a night to go to a dark location. I'm a workaholic working +80ish hours a week, so time is very valuable after getting off work at night. So I have been thinking about selling my mount and buy a computerized mount like Celestron VX. Do you think im making a good choice going with a Goto mount? Or am I moving on too fast? I even want to start studying astronomy which is sort of crazy, but I found a hobby that I truly think it will last a life time along with my bank balance draining at the same time.

thank you in advance,

#2 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

I am a believer in go to for the reasons you note, and especially for people who must do most of their observing under light polluted skies. I think the new VX mount would be an ideal choice for that scope, and give you the flexibility to mount other scopes up to 8 inches at least should you expand your stable in the future.

#3 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

Though there are traditionalist who will point out that star-hopping to find objects is a great way to really learn the sky I also lean towards the use of GoTo.

I mostly do imaging (where goto is extremely valuable) but if I do want a quick glimpse through the eyepeice or especially if I am just trying to show a few guests a globular cluster or M51 through the eyepiece having goto makes the whole experience a lot more fun! :)

#4 SeptemberEquinox

SeptemberEquinox

Ranger 4

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Thank you, Mike, and Falcon. I'm not planning on buying a new scope yet, but who knows. And yes this OTA weights about 15 pounds, so vx should handle it without any struggle.

one thing I wonder, I wonder if I will miss star hopping at all if I decide to go with vx.

#5 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

you won't miss star hopping :)

#6 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

Using the go-to capabilities is a choice. You don't *have* to press the enter key. Simply use the direction arrows to slew around and star hop that way. Keep in mind you can adjust the speed the mount slews with two button presses so you can zip around and then slow down and crawl.

#7 SteveSMS

SteveSMS

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Jersey Shore USA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Hi,

I have the same 150mm OTA and I just used my new Advanced VX mount for the first time last night. I had a 102mm f6.5 frac on the mount, not the 150 but I feel very confident that the VX will handle the 150 with zero difficulty. The mount performed even better than I had hoped for. I started my career starhopping with an ETX 90. I paid my dues! I love the GOTO!

Clear Skies,

Steve

#8 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

+1 on what everyone else said.

A used CG-5 could be a great deal right now but I wouldn’t hesitate to get a VX even at list price. It is an outstanding mount.

#9 SeptemberEquinox

SeptemberEquinox

Ranger 4

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Thank you for the advices gentlemen, although I'm a bit surprised. Because I thought you guys would say stick with the manual mode for a while, this is really convincing now.

mpgxsvcd, I subscribed to your channel. I need whole lot of advices on cameras. I'm not ready to do any astrophotography, but who knows in few years(I'll rock with my smartphone when I can) I just enjoy most of you guys' work, and the Hubble's astrophotography. And holy molly, some of the videos got quarter million views.

#10 SkipW

SkipW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

Using the go-to capabilities is a choice. You don't *have* to press the enter key. Simply use the direction arrows to slew around and star hop that way. Keep in mind you can adjust the speed the mount slews with two button presses so you can zip around and then slow down and crawl.

You don't even have to adjust the speed to zip around and slow down (on a CG-5 and, I presume, also the VX). Just press the button for the direction you want to go and, while it's pressed, also press the opposite button. It'll slew in the original direction at full speed as long as both are pressed. Release the second button and slewing in the same direction at the slower speed resumes. Slick!

I'm not sure what happens if you release the first button while keeping the second pressed. I may have to try it. If the universe suddenly ends, it may be my fault.

#11 SeptemberEquinox

SeptemberEquinox

Ranger 4

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

ORDERED!!!!

#12 SeptemberEquinox

SeptemberEquinox

Ranger 4

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Oh man, I want to cry.

"Due to overwhelming response for the item below, your shipment has been delayed. As soon as new inventory arrives, we'll ship it to you",

the estimate date is March 4th :(, it could be later than that I bet

#13 SeptemberEquinox

SeptemberEquinox

Ranger 4

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

Uh.... I just got a notification saying that it'll be here tomorrow. They are messing with me...??

#14 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

• Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:12 AM

:jump: :grin: :hamsterdance:

Best, Linda B.

#15 SeattleStarGazer

SeattleStarGazer

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Congratulations! I was a star hopper of necessity for a long time, but i didn't really enjoy the process. I enjoy the observing, not the hunt. Finding tiny planetaries or faint fuzzier when you're not really sure they are in your field to begin with isn't my idea of fun. When go to became available I jumped on it and never missed star hopping at all.

But beware you're on the slippery slope now! In 15 years I've gone from a small scope on an alt-az push-to mount with digital setting circles to a 5" apo on an Astro-Physics mount with a CCD camera. But it is such a rewarding hobby in so many ways its been worth every penny and all the time. Enjoy your new hobby!

#16 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdome

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

Congrats. You made a good choice.

I also work long hours and my eyepiece time is very precious. I bought a used LX200 12 years ago and haven't looked back. Since then I've installed tracking and "go to" in my homemade dob.

#17 SeptemberEquinox

SeptemberEquinox

Ranger 4

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

Thank you, Linda for the cheer up
Thank you Seattle StarGazer, and Jimbo. I don't have to polar align this thing. It isn't completely accurate when it star hops, but I just played with it for 30mins. So far I love it.

#18 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ISRAEL

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

Sean,
You made a good choice.
Star hopping is great and I practice it when I have time.
But when I want to observe many objects over a short time nothing beats a good goto mount.
I also found that for short grab and go sessions from my back yard nothing beats my push-to setup DM4 +sky commander +4.5" refractor.
I keep it assembled, and it takes me 3 minutes to carry the whole thing outside do a two star alignment and start observing. It is simplicity incarnate.

#19 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

Congrat's on the good luck and new mount. Make sure and post in about your impressions of the mount? :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics