Why are Reducer/Correctors so difficult to deliver

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

I am going to get the Meade reducer/corrector for my 14" ACF when it is available. But, why are they so difficult to produce? It seams that every scope company has this issue of not having them ready for many months after they ship the scopes. Sometimes they never get make them available.

Tony

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Questions like this almost always are answered by finances and production capabilities.

If I have only so much capacity on my assembly line, I am going to devote it to the biggest order so I can get the biggest payment from my customer.

The lenses in correctors are likely make on the same kinds of lines that make camera lenses or small refractor lenses.

To produce the number of correctors in demand by the market means stopping production of some other lens but if that other lens is in high demand, unless your customer is willing to pay a premium to have is limited run of specialized lenses made, he goes into the queue, and you fit them in when you can.

More than likely it is something like this. Money or capacity.

When these questions come up, the first thing one needs to remember is that these are businesses. Nothing more, nothing less. The answer to these kinds of questions is quite often this simple.

I don't know if this is the exact reason in this exact case, but you can bet it is simply a business issue.

Supply and demand.

#3 Geo.

Geo.

Gemini

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

The reducers used with conventional SCTs are pretty simple devices consisting of one or more achromatic elements. Meade's ACF uses aspherically figured optics, which makes reducer design complex and production expensive. Celestron's uses a aplanatic corrector mounted in the baffle tube of an otherwise conventional SCT. The corrector provides a flatter FOV. That is, one with less coma. It also limits spherical aberration in the system.

One of the main reasons that Meade and Celestron sold reducers was to reduce coma and spherical aberration inherent in the SCT systems. As both the ACF and EdgeHD are already corrected, so the reducer is about really getting a faster FL. The current Meades are already f/8 and Celestrons are coming with Fastar. Although the latter operates without any use of the aplanatic corrector. With Celestron's f/7 reducers approaching the price of a used 80-90mm f/6-7 refractor that may be a better choice.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics