Photo

Wooden tripod and DM4? Unistar Deluxe?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 choran

choran

Vanguard

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

Does anyone here run a Discmount DM4 on a wooden tripod other than the one offered by Discmounts? Same question re: Unistar Deluxe. Looking for a highquality wooden tripod, rock steady, that will adapt to either or both of those mounts with a minimum of additional hardware. Help greatly appreciated.

#2 JMW

JMW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

I am using my DM4 on the Discmount tripod, my DM6 is on a Planet. The DM4 tripod is fine, but I like the adjustable legs on the Planet. I extend the legs out when I am focused on objects near the zenith. It also helps to adjust for uneven ground. If you are using a longer refractor consider getting a pier extension to clear the tripod near the zenith.

The Berlebach astronomy tripods can be ordered with tops compatible with a variety of mounts included the Discmounts. The Tripod UNI 18 Astro would probably be plenty for carrying a DM4 plus up to 4.5 inch refractor. It's rated for a 121 pound capacity. It's price is in the neighborhood of the Discmount DM4 regular ash tripod.

#3 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

I use my DM-4 on a carbon fiber tripod (gitzo 5 series) with a 120mm Sunwayfoto leveling head that I got on eBay (I really love that thing, very well built and rock solid, makes leveling your mount a snap). I can also recommend a Berlebach with a flat top with 3/8" center bolt - something like a UNI-24 would probably work nicely with a DM-4 (top plate might be too wide for DM-4, however).

The problem with the otherwise outstanding Discmounts tripod is the lack of leg adjustment, which makes leveling difficult.

#4 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin, Ohio

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:00 AM

I use an Oberwerk tripod (and my Discmount one too) when I want more portability. I purchased an Oberwerk blem for $ 50.00.....picked it up at their shop (Big Binoculars) in Dayton, Ohio. Only the very slightest bit of mismatched stain on the bottom of one leg caused it to be a blem. The DM-4 head screws right on (no additional hardware to buy or mess around with!). I use Discmount's special cork between the top of the Oberwerk from the bottom of the DM-4 head.

Attached Files

#5 choran

choran

Vanguard

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Thank you all.
I was looking at the Berlebach Uni 24. It's head is 160mm, per the company.
Can you give me the diameter of the DM4? I would definitely order the Discmount extension so I can reach zenith. Would like to find a tripod that has a head the same size or slightly larger than the DM4 simply for aesthetics.

#6 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

The DM4 is 4 inch so that wouldn't be a good match.

#7 choran

choran

Vanguard

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

Chucky, do you have any trouble with the scope hitting the tripod legs at zenith? That's something I'm trying to avoid. Afraid that if I buy a tripod with the head much wider than the actual mount itself (be it a DM4 or Unistar Deluxe) I'll run into that problem. Certainly if I go the DM4 I will strongly consider the column add on they offer. Might not need it with the Unistar, due to its taller design.

Anybody know how wide the unistar is at its base?
CH

#8 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin, Ohio

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

<< Chucky, do you have any trouble with the scope hitting the tripod legs at zenith? >>

If you mean with my Stellarvue 80 ED and Oberwerk with DM column shown in my photo.....then no problem. The scope never hits the legs at any angle.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics