DSC and Tablet Stalks

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

I've got part of a 1.25" moonlite truss pole left over from making my 16" dob. I ordered a 1.25" clamp from them so I can turn the pole into a DSC Stalk, but i'm trying to figure out what I should do to the top of the truss pole so that I can safely put a Sky Commander and Nexus 7 on top of the pole.

Any ideas for an easy way to attach something to the 1.25" pole?

Any ideas for a material that would make for a good angled shelf for the sky commander and tablet to sit on?

Thanks,
Jeremy

#2 Old Rookie

Old Rookie

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: North Central Ohio

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

I did something similar for my 18" Astrosystems. I used a 1" wood dowel and 3/4" pine boards to assemble. Works well for me.

The file's to large. PM me with your email if you want and I'll send a couple of photos later this afternoon.

#3 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin, Ohio

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:37 AM

<< wood dowel and 3/4" pine board >>

Exactly what I did. A no-brainer. I didn't even have to cut the board....thanks to Hobby Lobby.

#4 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

I made this one for the Skycommanders I recently acquired. It's made of lightweight welded steel flatbar and sqaure tubing. To secure it to the rocker, I made four bolts with a knob that screw into threaded inserts. That way, I can remove it when I am transporting the telescope. At home, it stays on the rocker, which makes set-up and take down quick and easy. The best part is the glow from the screen stays out of my eyes, but I can watch the display easily when slewing from object to object.

In your case, a threaded insert in the tube would work nicely, and a piece of 1/2" plywood that's varnished would work. You could drill a shallow hole in the wood with a Forstner bit and drill press to get the tube and wood to fit tightly together. Or use aluminum flatbar or angle of the size that will hold your computer. As for bending the tubing, if you know an electrician, ask him if you could borrow his 1 1/4" conduit bender, I've bent a lot of aluminum conduit with a hand bender. I welded mine because I have the ability to do it, but if I didn't I would have bolted it together.

Taras

Attached Files

#5 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

Thanks guys. Looks like this should be a pretty easy add on!

#6 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

I believe Charlie Starks at Markless Astronomics is making such a shelf now. I have his ServoCat stalk and it is nicely done. The Moonlight clamp and aluminum tube is the easy part, making a nice Lexan shelf that compliments the scope is where he earns the money.

#7 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

That's where I got the inspiration from. Charlie makes some great stuff, but I already had leftover truss pole pieces and i'm trying to keep upgrades on the cheaper side if I can DIY.

The Sky Commander I bought used had a huge piece of velcro on the back, so I plan to just velcro it to the shelf. It's the tablet that i'd like to be able to put on the shelf, at an angle, and secure it without velcro on the tablet itself or the case I normally use. Maybe I could get a cheap neoprene sleeve and permanently attach it to the shelf (or velcro the back) and add a red film to that sleeve.

#8 Markovich

Markovich

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Ohio

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

I bought the tablet shelf from Markless Astronomics after experimenting with my own design. I'm loath to drill into my Obsession so I use a matching piece of wood that attaches to the scope at the wheel barrow handle points. I use a Moonlite 1.25" tube and connector, then Charlie's tablet shelf. It's very solid and easy to hook up.

Attached Files

#9 Markovich

Markovich

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Ohio

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

And the complete set up

Attached Files

#10 ischua

ischua

Under the Radar

• Loc: Below Snow Plop WNY

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

What I added to my Starmaster

Attached Files

#11 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Hmmm, If I made something like your very nice stalk, I would have added a cup holder too. :waytogo:

Taras

#12 Old Rookie

Old Rookie

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: North Central Ohio

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

This is my version mounted on my 18". The netbook sits kind of high but I found that with my bifocols, it's much easier to see at this height. As a matter of fact, another club member raised his after looking at mine.
John

Attached Files

#13 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin, Ohio

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

<< sits kind of high but I found that with my bifocols, it's much easier to see at this height. >>

Hey John. Nice table. I have my table up high too for the same reason! It's an age thing. Chuck down here in Columbus.

#14 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

Mark, do you remember how much the shelf was without needing to buy the stalk? Charlie doesn't list it separately on his site.

I was considering adding an eyepiece holder on to the shelf like you did Mark. Do you find any trouble with your azimuth balance when that shelf is loaded with a lot of stuff?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics