• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:44 AM

Wednesday night's episode of Nova, Earth From Space, was simply outstanding. It dealt with the incredible information being learned about the Earth's geology, weather, climate, and biosphere from satellites.

http://www.pbs.org/w...from-space.html

Dave Mitsky

#2 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast, Florida

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

Dave stated:

Wednesday night's episode of Nova, Earth From Space, was simply outstanding. It dealt with the incredible information being learned about the Earth's geology, weather, climate, and biosphere from satellites.

Hi Dave,

I agree 100% and recommend it to all. Some amazing insights were shown using satellites from space about the earth. I was really surprised by the Antarctica piece.

peace & clear skies

#3 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

Dang I missed it. Looks like they are re-airing it on Friday. I need to set the DVR. :)

#4 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Got it recorded....just need the time to watch it!!! I'll let ya' know!!

#5 eps0mu0

eps0mu0

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

I saw it on Wednesday, and I must disagree. Although it was fascinating, and I enjoyed it (there is not much good science programming on TV), I did not think the producers/writers did a good job explaining the subject, or explaining the connections between the various sensor data.
The text/narration dwelt too much on the sensational. I thought most of the Katrina footage was superfluous, and did not add to any understanding of the subject.
The graphics and explanation of the electromagnetic spectrum were not well done. Someone who didn't already know about infrared, ultraviolet, microwaves would not gain any understanding from the short explanation. The analogy of comparing the entire electromagnetic spectrum to the distance between LA and NY was weak.
In summary, I thought the program was not well made. As a space nut, I totally enjoyed it, but I do not think the layperson would gain much understanding from it.
Regards,
J.F.

#6 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

I'm with Dave. I thought it was excellent..... but I missed the first 15 or 20 minutes. I may get the Blu-ray disk.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics