14 replies to this topic

#1 lbsgville

lbsgville

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Hi All,
I have been hit with the new scope curse, cloudy nights! I did get the scope put together and collimated and played around with it in the house. The scope is big! If size is a concern I would consider the 12g. I can handle the base board of the 14 alone and I'm 51 with lower back problems. I would not want to carry it very far but I can manage it to the yard. Set up can also be done alone but I found the directions for mounting the top to the poles did not help. The directions state to leave the 8 lower captive bolts slightly loose, I found that tightening them up made it easier to attach the top with no help. As covered before the focuser is fine accept for the fact there are no compression rings. The 2" to 1 1/4" adapter is basically junk, with a good amount of slop. I highly recommend a new adapter of your choosing. I ordered the Orion Precision Centering Adapter, I'll get it my next week off. I also recommend the padded case set. It comes with a cover for the secondary and is well made. As far as transporting the scope the base is going to be a challenge. It does not collapse into a nice neat package that fits together. I used some of the packing material to make a setup for transporting in the trunk of the car. It was a bit of work, I had to cut and piece it together, but I want to protect it as much as possible. I should be able to get out this weekend for first light and will have a report for that if I do. Here are some pics of the base broken down for transport.

Attached Files

#2 lbsgville

lbsgville

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

I'm going to use towels and a bungie cord to pad and hold it together.

Attached Files

#3 lbsgville

lbsgville

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

I folded the towel over and put the other side on top. I will use another towel before the bungee cord.

Attached Files

#4 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

I have the XTi and not the XTg, but, I have ALWAYS been under the impression you should NOT put together and take apart the base. Each time you do, it digs a little deeper into the plyboard. One too many times, and it won't go together as all the wood will be stripped out. Taking the OTA off the base is ok (lots of wires and stuff on the XTg to remove first), but, I'd not take the base apart. I throw my complete base in my passenger front seat.

#5 lbsgville

lbsgville

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

I just want to be clear about carrying the base board, that is the round part only, not as a whole. Two people could carry the assembled base, but it would not fit through a standard door. I forgot to mention my trick for adding the counterweights. I used a cooler to hold the bottom up. Also screw both weights onto the bolt, then turn them against each other and lock them together. I also kept the cardboard they came packed in and cut it in half and sandwiched them between. I'm going to find a toolbox or something to carry them in.

Attached Files

#6 lbsgville

lbsgville

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

The 14g has metal threaded inset for the captive bolts to fasten to, they do not screw directly into wood. The little side arms off the side pieces did screw into wood. I would not take them off again, and I do not think it was intended for them to be. That is one of the things that make safely transporting the base a challenge and is why I came up with using the packing material to come up with a safe way to transport to my dark site.

#7 lbsgville

lbsgville

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

The cooler trick

Attached Files

#8 lbsgville

lbsgville

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

Because it has been cloudy, and tonight it's RAINING, I had not read all of the manual yet. I read that when using the low power eye piece you may need to use the "included" 2" extension adapter to achieve focus. I did not get a 2" extension adapter with mine. This my be because they no longer send the 28mm as referenced in the manual, but a 35mm. The 35mm may come to focus without the extension but I wouldn't know because it's RAINING! Anyway, I called Orion and asked about the 2" extension and they are going to send me one. Don't know if I need it but it will be nice to have if I do. Also while rereading the assembly portion of the manual again I realized that I did not read it very well as I was working on it. I did not put the counterweight bolts in the back of the mirror cell as instructed. However this worked out OK because I like having the weights tightened on the bolts. This keeps the two of them together and makes my way of storage and transport possible, see post above. Also the case will not get snagged on the bolts, it's a tight fit, and the bolts will not put a hole in the case.

#9 isawit

isawit

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Phelps, North Carolina

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for all the informative info and pics. You said the base would not fit through a standard door. What is the diameter of the base? If I got the xx14G I was planning on keeping it assembled and just wheel it outside onto my deck for viewing. If it won't go through the door I might need to go to the 12. Thanks again.

#10 lbsgville

lbsgville

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

It is 33". This is a big scope. How long have you been using telescopes? I ask because this is a big scope to start off with. Unless you can keep it in a garage I don't think there is any way to keep it assembled. Going over a door thresh hold would be a challenge with the scope completely assembled.

#11 isawit

isawit

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Phelps, North Carolina

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

It looks like 33" would be a tight squeeze going through my door with a 34 1/2" opening. I was planning on using a hand cart with pneumatic tires so going over the threshold shouldn't be a problem. That being said, the 14g looks like it might be to bulky to handle that way. I think I will stick with the xt12g.

Hope the weather clears for you so you can put that baby to work.

#12 lbsgville

lbsgville

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

Tonight's the night. The cold front came through and it is going to be clear tonight!!! It's going to be cold so I will be staying in the backyard for my first light.
isawit, I think you will be happy with the 12g. I don't know what you have now if anything but 12" is a good point to be, and not to big and not to small. The 14g is a big scope. I know I said it before but I want anyone trying to decide between the 12 and 14 to understand that the 14 in a big commitment. A person will have to be sure that they want it bad enough, and know what they are getting into, so they will use the scope and not say to them self; Oh my, what have I done! Then the scope sets around and does not get used. I was ready for the commitment and still I look at this scope and think Oh my this thing is big! I know I will use this scope but I'm sure glad I still have my 10" to grab and go.

#13 MDavid

MDavid

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: 29°N (Texas)

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Soooo?? How was the first night/light :question:

#14 lbsgville

lbsgville

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

Mike I did get out last week two Sundays ago during first quarter moon. My first light object was the Lunar X, not bad for the first object to see in my new scope. However because the moon was so bright the seeing was not very good. I spent a lot of time with the two star alignment but I'm sure I'll get faster at that. I didn't look at to many things but I did see color in the Orion Nebula and was able to count at least 8 stars in the nebulosity. Jupiter looked OK but it was right next to the moon so it was a washout, so my first light was not so good. I was set up in my backyard in an orange zone and the moon was to bright. I did like the way the scope performed and with practice I will get better at it. I'm going to try to set up this Thursday at my semi-dark site. I will only have an hour or so before the moon rises but I want to get a look at Jupiter and Orion before it does. Overall I feel I'm going to be very happy with the scope, however it has a few issues that need to be addressed. Number one is the focusers 2 to 1 1/2" adapter, it is going in the trash. I have a paracorr so it's not a big deal for me but anyone that doesn't I highly recommend replacing it with one of your choosing. The focuser itself is not bad for a stock one and I do not feel the need to replace it right away but may come down the line. The other issue is the secondary, it is going to have to have a dew remover system. As they say a dob is a scope always in the works, it's a good thing I like to work on my scopes. I will post more as I can. I work every other week out of town and the moon and weather do not always cooperate.

#15 lbsgville

lbsgville

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

Here is a pic set up in the yard. I was going to do a side by side with my 10" but spent all my time with the 14". I will do a comparison some night and will do a new post on that.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics