• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 simon j poole

simon j poole

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

I am thinking about purchasing an atmospheric dispertion corrector, but was wondering if any members have had any experiences in using one, and if so do they give a sharper image and are they worth the price which is around £350 pounds in the uk. i would be greatfull of any feed back regarding this issue. Regards Simon.

#2 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

"atmospheric dispertion corrector" yes, they work. You buy a telescope, to you, its a telescope and the clouds will form heavier and heavier as the package gets closer to your door. However, to me, your scope is an "atmospheric dispertion corrector" as my old clouds are now your new clouds......thank you, and enjoy the clouds...... :lol:

...actually never heard of an "atmospheric dispertion corrector", sounds like a Klingon disrupter on full power.

#3 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

I've seen some reports that they work for their intended purpose, but obviously they will not correct the generally poor seeing at low viewing altitudes. So you won't see the red/blue bands anymore, but I do have my doubts that this will result in a much sharper image.

#4 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

No, really, never heard of it. Is this a filter, like a UHC filter to filter out light pollution?

#5 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

I read a fairly positive review in Astronomy Tech Today, but it's an expensive toy!

#6 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zurich Switzerland

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Well this is no joke at all, it is especially useful for planetary imaging.
Never tried it myself but there are some good examples to be found in German forums.

Check it out here:
http://www.teleskop-...info/p5992_K...

best regards
Chris

#7 simon j poole

simon j poole

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

Thanks everybody & thanks Chris for the link,its a lot of money so maybe i have to research it a bit more before purchasing one. Regards Simon.

#8 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

A friend of mine owned the similar unit that Adirondack Video sold (before they went bankrupt) made from multiple prisms sold by Edmund. It did improve the view of planets below say 40 degrees in altitude. That extended that time we could observe, and was most helpful during the summer, when planets never get too high in the sky from 42 degrees north. Alas, he misplaced the gizmo, so it’s all ‘history’ now.

#9 simon j poole

simon j poole

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Thanks for that George, it seems that they do help when imaging at low altitude with high focal lenghths! Regards Simon.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics