Hand held 12v hair dryer for dew

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

So, what do you think about the Dew-Not controllers and heater strips?

/Ira

#27 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

So, what do you think about the Dew-Not controllers and heater strips?

I use the Dew-Not heater strips with great success and recommend them highly, but I neither use nor recommend their controller. Please, do yourself a favor and get the Dewbuster, as I mentioned in my earlier post.

#28 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ISRAEL

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

"I'm using an Astrotech 250 amp power tank as the main power source"

Hi Ira,
a 250Ah power tank ??? :scared:( it must weight 60-70 Kg)
My deep cycle 90Ah Marine battery weights 30 Kg and is a real pain in the **BLEEP** to schlepp around.

Where did you get such a monster ?

or is it 25 Ah :john:

P.S. I have a Kendrick Dew heater which works great. I think you should get one (look for a used one on AM or here)
I agree with people here: one ounce of prevention is worth a Ton of harsh medication.

Besides, if you get a hair dryer, your wife may confiscate it for personal use:tonofbricks:, while there is a very slim chance that she will succeed using a Kendrick for the same purpose :roflmao:

#29 Shneor

Shneor

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Lastly, why create the headache of having to constantly fritter with dew removal as opposed to having an automated solution?!?

For some of us, dew is relatively uncommon, a hair drier is useful on those rare occasions when there is dew.

I have had a couple of 12volt hair driers for use as dew heaters. The standard 12 volt hair driers are 120 watt, that's 10 amps. It's pretty feeble, a typical 120volt hair drier is about 1500 watts...

Jon

I have a similar experience - I use a 12v hair dryer with a jump start battery on the (thankfully) rare occasions when dew is a problem. It usually just takes less than a minute to dry my secondary. I think it has been at least a couple of years since I last used it.
Clears,

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics