CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hand held 12v hair dryer for dew

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

So, what do you think about the Dew-Not controllers and heater strips?

/Ira

#27 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

So, what do you think about the Dew-Not controllers and heater strips?

I use the Dew-Not heater strips with great success and recommend them highly, but I neither use nor recommend their controller. Please, do yourself a favor and get the Dewbuster, as I mentioned in my earlier post.

#28 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ISRAEL

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

"I'm using an Astrotech 250 amp power tank as the main power source"

Hi Ira,
a 250Ah power tank ??? :scared:( it must weight 60-70 Kg)
My deep cycle 90Ah Marine battery weights 30 Kg and is a real pain in the **BLEEP** to schlepp around.

Where did you get such a monster ?

or is it 25 Ah :john:

P.S. I have a Kendrick Dew heater which works great. I think you should get one (look for a used one on AM or here)
I agree with people here: one ounce of prevention is worth a Ton of harsh medication.

Besides, if you get a hair dryer, your wife may confiscate it for personal use:tonofbricks:, while there is a very slim chance that she will succeed using a Kendrick for the same purpose :roflmao:

#29 Shneor

Shneor

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Lastly, why create the headache of having to constantly fritter with dew removal as opposed to having an automated solution?!?

For some of us, dew is relatively uncommon, a hair drier is useful on those rare occasions when there is dew.

I have had a couple of 12volt hair driers for use as dew heaters. The standard 12 volt hair driers are 120 watt, that's 10 amps. It's pretty feeble, a typical 120volt hair drier is about 1500 watts...

Jon

I have a similar experience - I use a 12v hair dryer with a jump start battery on the (thankfully) rare occasions when dew is a problem. It usually just takes less than a minute to dry my secondary. I think it has been at least a couple of years since I last used it.
Clears,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics