remote sky quality detection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mitaccio

mitaccio

Viking 1

• Loc: Oahu, Hawaii

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

I am wanting to use some kind of device that detects the sky quality and can display it over time. that way I can review the sky quality over the night and predict the upcoming quality with some degree of accuracy. there isnt a clear sky chart for my location. hoping maybe I can make something or spend $100 or less.

#2 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Only ones I know of are Unihedron Sky Quality Meters - they have remote versions. More than $100 though I think.
...Keith

#3 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

You can get the Sky Quality Meter for around $100 for a used manual model, I use mine to keep track at my dark sky sites. Good Luck!

#4 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:18 AM

I new iPhone/iPad app is currently being tested which emulates what the SQM does. But you would have to manually operate it to get readings.

JohnD

#5 Shneor

Shneor

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

I am wanting to use some kind of device that detects the sky quality and can display it over time. that way I can review the sky quality over the night and predict the upcoming quality with some degree of accuracy. there isnt a clear sky chart for my location. hoping maybe I can make something or spend $100 or less.

You can just email Attilla Danko (his email address is on the site) and request a CSC for your location. He'll put it up within 24 hours. And he'd appreciate a small donation to help defray the costs.
Clears,

#6 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

Hi Mitaccio:

Depends on what you mean by sky quality. The Unihedron Sky Quality meters do a great job of measure the sky's darkness. They have an ethernet model that, with a connected compter, can graph how dark your sky is over time.

If you mean how clear is the sky, then for prediction, I agree with shneor ... ask Atilla to set up a CSC for your location.

-Dan

#7 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

Also, here's a few links that might be of use for cloud detetion:

http://www.noao.edu/...d-detector.html
http://winfij.homeip...udDetector.html
http://tienda.lunati...loud-detector-1

-Dan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics