Greetings from an extreme beginner

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

+1 on an observing chair. Even if you can use a scope comfortably while standing, a chair allows you to view for a much longer period of time in comfort. That extended viewing is really necessary for seeing details in DSO's and planets. In fact, for planetary viewing I would go so far as to say a chair is an absolute necessity as often seeing allows a few moments of clarity interspersed with long periods of lack of detail.

My experience with my Dob is Jupiter has two or three ,sometimes even five bands can be seen but I have to wait for the "wow" when for a second it looks just like the textbook photo.

#52 AstroBaby

AstroBaby

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Fairhope, Al

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

Thanks so much!

#53 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

Was the problem too little 'in' or too little 'out' focus? There are remedies for both. If the 1 1/4 inch eyepieces focused properly, then there is not a problem in your primary and secondary mirror train. Did you collimate before viewing? Your telescope should have come with collimation instructions.

#54 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

Donna,
You are also a 'keeper.' Many of us men who are active in this hobby are astronomy widows. :grin:

#55 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Donna, I love your town's slogan! :bow: And welcome to cloudynights.com!

#56 StarZombie

StarZombie

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Gulf Coast of Alabamy

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

I have to add my greetings here as well. My name is Jerry and I am Donna's husband. Her astro hobby has now grabbed hold of me as well. It only seems logical since I grew up near the Marshal Space Flight Center and have had jobs in my life from forensics to aviation as well as an interest in physics, astronomy, and geology as well as chemistry. I started off with getting her a pair of Meade 20x80 bino's and a steel tripod to see how far she would go with the interest. Next came the 8" collapsible Dob, Her interest still continued to grow. Next came the 12" Lightbridge. I started off (for her) a nice package with upgrades all at once. Since then the upgrades have continued to come a little at a time. Next my focus came to the 8" just sitting in the back room being neglected. I figured I would give it a shot. I enjoyed it but my 6'2" frame kneeled down to observe was not all that fun. Thought about building a table...too lazy on my days off...lol. I sold it to a fellow who was wanting to introduce his 9 yo daughter to astronomy...that made me feel good. So now my curiosity was still going. I ordered an AR102 and a CG4 mount with polar finder and motor drive. Now I am enjoying this little guy. The first light (after 3 days to release the new scope curse) was a good one. I actually found M41 in just a few minutes. Ha I thought to myself not bad. It does have the CA common with Achro's but I will get some filters for that. Next I will be getting Donna a 14mm 100* EP, Then it will be my turn for a few 82* EP's (6.7,14mm), and a 24mm 68*. The it will be her turn again as budget allows.. So I am now funding two astro hobbies as well as my sea kayaking and surf fishing hobbies. Well back to work I have more toys to buy!

#57 lamplight

lamplight

Vanguard

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

Jerry.. You better get back to work!! Lol

Welcome!

#58 WaterMaster

WaterMaster

Moat Keeper

• Administrators
  • Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Hi Jerry, welcome to Cloudy Nights!

#59 StarZombie

StarZombie

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Gulf Coast of Alabamy

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

Thanx for the welcome guys. I have been studying the various (and whew!) techniques of polar alignment and setting circle use all morning. I believe I have it down. I am interested to check three different methods of polar alignment against one another. Just curious how acurate I can get my setting circles. I have read that less than 8" in diameter is not really going to work out due to the graduations that are printed on mass produced scales. Still I am determined to see. I want to check the stock instructions with my polar finder to the method of using the date ring to Kocheb alignment. Looking at the reticule I believe I can do it, just have to improvise where polaris will be lined up...small circle or line. Oh well its a rainy day off so I have to be gaining in something if nothing more than learning new things.

#60 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

Greetings Astrozombie. You just found out why many of us have been astronomers for years, even decades like me. I have been looking up at the stars for almost 40 years. It gets into your blood. Welcome aboard!

Taras

#61 MikeMcCaskey

MikeMcCaskey

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Guatemala

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

You might consider S&T Pocket Sky Atlas or a Cambridge Star/Double Star Atlas. I have both and really like them. Turn Left at Orion is also a GREAT help.

Clear skies. Welcome to CN!!

MM

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics