Meteorite over Russia

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#76 careysub

careysub

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

For those of us who are not experienced meteorite collectors, can someone suggest where I should be looking to find Chebarkul specimens?

#77 peter scherff

peter scherff

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

Hi Careysub,

I have purchased about a dozen samples from both US and Russian dealers. My only advice is to buy from an experienced dealer. If you are looking at an offering please feel free to ask us if we think it is a legitimate offer. If you are looking for an inexpensive sample Galactic Stone & Ironworks would be a safe source.

Thanks,

Peter

#78 JimP

JimP

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

Some of the meteorites have a distinct reddish hue to the fusion crust in areas. Does anyone know what this is? Rust?

#79 peter scherff

peter scherff

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

Hi JimP,

Here is a link to Dr. Svend Buhl's theory about the red crust.

Thnaks,

Peter

#80 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

PBS' NOVA this week is about the Chelyabinsk meteor.

You can watch on line:
http://www.pbs.org/w...eor-strike.html

Good show, a little sensationalist in places; shows some of the meteorites that were collected within weeks of the fall. Some of the SEM micrographs suggest why this meteor produced "peas."

#81 jbtaylor

jbtaylor

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

I haven't added many specimens to my meteorite collection this past year but I did manage to pick up two very small individuals from this momentous event. Here is the first, a crusted pea with flow lines from Rob Elliott:
http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

#82 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

Congratulations! Very nice! :bow:

I'm hoping in the future, when prices stabalize to pickup a nice speciman. Right now, I'm fortunate that I have a large micromount of it!

#83 jbtaylor

jbtaylor

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for the kind words Carol and I'm glad you were able to pick up a nice micro! I think anyone purchasing this fall right now, myself included, are paying a premium to have the most pristine pieces although the prices have been trending way down as material floods in. My first piece cost a whooping $70 a gram but it does have some nice flowlines and evidence of orientation as well as rock solid provenance. A couple of weeks later, I picked up my second stone, also a fresh and complete individual, for around $25 a gram. I predict $10 a gram by years end but I am still happy to have a couple of the early specimens from this incredible fall and have no regrets about my purchases.

Jon

#84 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

Jon, I agree, it is so much more special to have them now; so recently after the fall!

#85 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Gemini

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

I plead senior citzien, and can't remember the title of the show. But yesterday and today the local PBS stations have been showing a new NOVA show on the Russian Meteorite.

I would have preferred a show at college science level, with some detailed science. but it's at high-school level. So they skipped over the how of the science, and went to the conclusions. Still, I learned some. For example, the asteroid did not hit the Earth. The Earth hit the asteroid.

And, nope, no new fantastic video footage. On a grade school level, I learned I would like a job creating sound effects of meteors hitting the Earth!

LGM

LGM

#86 jbtaylor

jbtaylor

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

It was called Meteor Strike and aired on PBS last Wednesday. I found it interesting although it was pretty basic.

#87 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

I posted a link above for people to watch it online if they missed it on air.

#88 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for the link!

#89 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

No problem. By the way, I agree with Littlegreenman about the sound effects. Cheesy.

#90 oblako

oblako

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

Thanks for the kind words Carol and I'm glad you were able to pick up a nice micro! I think anyone purchasing this fall right now, myself included, are paying a premium to have the most pristine pieces although the prices have been trending way down as material floods in. My first piece cost a whooping $70 a gram but it does have some nice flowlines and evidence of orientation as well as rock solid provenance. A couple of weeks later, I picked up my second stone, also a fresh and complete individual, for around $25 a gram. I predict $10 a gram by years end but I am still happy to have a couple of the early specimens from this incredible fall and have no regrets about my purchases.

Jon

Yes, a very nice little meteorite! Do you have an image of the second one?
EBAY prices are down. Some are around $10 per gram.

#91 jbtaylor

jbtaylor

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

Thank you for the the compliment. My second specimen is en route from a reliable Russian source and I will post a photo as soon as it arrives. And it appears that the price has dropped to $10 a gram much quicker than many thought, likely the result of a flooded market. I believe it was Mike Farmer who commented that this fall has the potential to produce as much or more than the Gao fall so I expect material will continue to be found for years to come.

#92 oblako

oblako

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

Thank you for the the compliment. My second specimen is en route from a reliable Russian source and I will post a photo as soon as it arrives. And it appears that the price has dropped to $10 a gram much quicker than many thought, likely the result of a flooded market. I believe it was Mike Farmer who commented that this fall has the potential to produce as much or more than the Gao fall so I expect material will continue to be found for years to come.

Looking forward to see it.

What do you think about this EBAY auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=350758503771

It does not look as a meteorite to me, and this one is probably not a meteorite from the same seller
http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=350759305942

#93 peter scherff

peter scherff

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

Hi Oblako,

The auction in your first link is for a beautiful oriented meteorite. If it was a larger sample I would bid on it.

The second link is most likely a legitimate meteorite it looks as if it is mostly melt (formally known as impact melt). The melt samples are not as pretty, however they are less common.

Thanks,

Peter

#94 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Gemini

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

No problem. By the way, I agree with Littlegreenman about the sound effects. Cheesy.

Cheesy is exactly why the Little-Pink-Boy in me (maturity level age 7 or so) is impressed and wants to have a job making them!

It's my cross to bear: every TV show or even channel that I like on an intellectual level, over time has moved down 30 IQ points. Adding sound effects to what was obviously silent footage such as war shots is part of the problem. That is one reason I like Mythbusters: they started off 30 IQ points down to begin with, and they always blow something at the end. No sound effects needed.

Back to the topic, meteorites and the Russian Meteor. I have never collected meteors. I have some meteorite material? oxide? I bought when I was about 10 years old in 1961 at Meteor Crater Arizona, and that's all I have. This event has perked my interest. Growing up some neighbors had a chunk that was supposed to be a meteor, metallic, fist sized, and looked like one, but who knows?

LGM

#95 peter scherff

peter scherff

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:53 AM

Hi Littlegreen man,

Congratulations you have been a meteorite collector longer than most of us. Your sample from Meteor Crater may not be rust, back in the day the sold solid samples(bye the see shore).

#96 oblako

oblako

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

Hi Oblako,

The auction in your first link is for a beautiful oriented meteorite. If it was a larger sample I would bid on it.

The second link is most likely a legitimate meteorite it looks as if it is mostly melt (formally known as impact melt). The melt samples are not as pretty, however they are less common.

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter, thanks for your comment.
If you are to scroll down at this ended auction http://www.ebay.com/...e-6-Grams-Ca... you will see a very nice oriented meteorite. BTW did you bid for this one? :) The shape of the one I linked to earlier does look like a meteorite with a roll-over lips, but the fusion crust looks rather funny. As a matter of fact I have not seen any Chelyabinsk meteorite or any other meteorite for that matter that looks like that. The other one has no fusion crust but lot's of sharp edges. I'd be surprised, if it were a meteorite.

Thanks.

#97 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

Hi Steven,

Your little crater specimen is a keeper. Back in the day, Nininger sold a lot of souvenirs and touristy items to help keep his work going. In that respect, Nininger was a pioneer in many ways. He was one of the first commercial meteorite dealers to offer affordable specimens to the general public. Up until Harvey starting doing that, only a few advanced collectors with deep pockets indulged in meteorite collecting. And he caught a lot of flack for it from some old-guard elements of the scientific community....heck, we still see some of that today, although the situation has improved since Nininger's time.

At any rate, keep that original crater souvenir oxide. If it has any kind of display card, specimen card, packaging, flyer, brochure, or receipt - keep those also. Anything Nininger-related is very desirable to some collectors.

FWIW, I have been on a quest for a couple of years now to acquire one of Robert Burnham Jr's meteorites from his personal collection. It is well known that Burnham collected meteorites and had a special fondness for pallasites. I would give my right arm for one of them. Sometimes the value of specimen has much more to do with provenance than the meteorite itself. :)

Best regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#98 peter scherff

peter scherff

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

Hi Oblako,

The crust on these meteorites varies greatly. Some rocks exhibit the "classic" black fusion crust. Some have "bubbly" crust. Some have areas of a dusty reddish crust. Some have a black flaky crust. Here is a photo of a sample that has the flaky crust:

Attached Files

#99 oblako

oblako

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Actually my concern is not about the color, it is more about the texture of it. This texture does not look right to me.

#100 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

• Loc: At the Gym >Spudtastic<

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

I seen this on PBS... The Russians were very lucky the asteroid came in with a shallow trajectory.

10,000 Tons, 65 feet in diameter.. :o

http://video.pbs.org/video/2358778286

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics