Meteorite hits Russia, people injured

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#76 brentwood

brentwood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: BC Canada

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Thank you both, that is a much better answer than I got from CNN! :) or NASA !

#77 Saclablue

Saclablue

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Timmins, Ontario

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

Like they didn't see this one coming. Even if there was an asteroid or meteor was going to strike the earth. They would never tell us, think of the civil chaos that would ensue. Societal break down and strickened wide panic. And then after the fact, they have the odacity to address the general public looking like idiots, saying they didn't know it was coming and infer the need for more funding in space exploration. Way to go JPL and NASA.

#78 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Saclablue,
That's a somewhat cynical attitude. Small bodies like this (generally kind of dark) vehicle-sized meteoroid can only be detected when awfully nearby already. And if their approach vector has them coming from the general direction of the Sun, the combination of atmospheric twilight, zodiacal light, solar corona (within a couple or few degrees of the disk) and that we see predominantly the body's night side, the visibility goes down to practically zero until already hitting the atmosphere.

#79 Michaelo

Michaelo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

I was looking for reports of recent events in order to determine what I saw Feb 17th at approximately 19:00...

While setting up my scope I saw a seriously big fireball...
I was looking westward at the moon using binoculars, and it crossed my field of view (from south to north and appeared to be falling)...

No idea what it was but expect some news report as it was (or appeared to be) seriously big...

If it was a meteor, then is there a storm due?

#80 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Michaelo, it would help people figure out what you saw if you would give your location.

#81 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Michaelo,
Very bright fireballs/bolides are usually stony or iron bits of asteroidal debris, all on their 'lonesome', so to speak. They can enter the atmosphere at any angle, and occur randomly.

Meteor showers (or storms when very active) are mostly bits of dust scattered along the orbits of comets which we happen to intersect. A shower can last from hours to weeks, depending on how widely the cometary debris has spread. All related meteors if a particular shower appear to come from the same point on the sky.

#82 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:24 AM

Even if there was an asteroid or meteor was going to strike the earth. They would never tell us, think of the civil chaos that would ensue.

That is demonstrably untrue. In all of history, there has been precisely one meteroid that was detected in space and subsequently struck Earth: 2008 TC3. And the discovery was indeed announced immediately.

As time goes on and the surveys become more sensitive, this will surely happen more often.

Neither the Sudan meteoroid nor the one that exploded over the Urals was big enough to cause regional damage, much less planet-scale damage. It's believed that all or almost all planet-threatening asteroids are already known and tracked.

Comets are a different matter.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics